The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

Hi folks.

Does anyone have shipping experience to Denmark with the previously recommended solar panel?
NEW!!! FREE SHIPPING 10W CIS solar panel, 10watt 12v amorphous solar module, 10w 12v pv panels, thin film-in Solar Energy Systems from Electrical Equipment & Supplies on Aliexpress.com
Not sure if I want to take my chances with only 19 days left.

Alternatively, wouldn't this be a easy replacement for only DKK600 for 2:
10W Monokrystallin Solcellepanel
Although monokrystalin, the dimensions seem to fit pretty good with the boominator. So it might not be as pretty, but I will have 20W and be sure to get the panels before the festival.

Any thoughts?

Edit:
Or maybe just order the 10W 12V panel from Canopysound, where I supose it's better to have 10W Amorphous then 20W Monocrystalline?
Link:
http://canopysound.dk/solceller

Last edited:
The top is on!
I have been testing my Qubinator (mostly indoors) and I got to say I like the sound more and more. I know the design is for outdoor use but I think it works very well indoors too! :)
Thank you Saturnus for your design and help!
Here are some pictures: (Will post some more pics when its painted and completely finished)

Maybe a small video of the performance? ^^

Me too! Yes, it would be easier if I lived in CPH, amongst all the other Boominators. But thanks for all your help and suggestions anyway! :)

I'm still at the believe that it has something to do with the rim, since it stops if I push it gently. Now I'm thinking that maybe I could put an extra layer of thin silicone glue (not the sealant, thinner and transperant) or something like that, o stiffen up the rim where the sound comes from. Ofc it has to be something that wouldn't disolve the rim.

Does this sound like a possible thing to try?

Due to a spontanious trip to Prague and other things, I never came back in here to tell how my proplem with the raddle went.

I tried putting glue on the rim. At first I thought this helped a little but when I cranked up the volume the raddle came back. I then tried gluing another place on the rim, but same result.

So, I never got rid of the problem, but I've learned to live with it. Fortunately, when listening to music containing more than just a drum kick, you dont really notice it unless you go close to the driver and pay attention. I used the Boominator in the weekend and 15 people were there and nobody noticed anything. They were all impressed by it.

Also, now I got the SMSL Amp-03 which is much nicer than the Lepai. It only distorts when hitting 90%.

I really think the sound has improved after the drivers and piezo's have been broken in.

So except from that bit of raddling from one of the HP10W's, I'm a happy man :)

Hey everyone,

I found the Boominator last year and put it on the bucket list. I am now ready to start with this project. Here's the quick low down: I have not worked with electronics other than on vehicles. So my experience is admittedly limited. From what I've read I understand less than I know. I read this whole thing through a long time ago, but only some of it stuck, so am welcome to criticism but am also determined to make this machine. I plan on using this as noise for the garage, camping, (some)indoors, backyard parties, and everything in between. It may be useful for me to be able to plug it into a 110 socket (but I imagine just solar will be fine). I am not an audiophile, so will pick less complexity over less quality if the choice arises.

That being said, I'm in the U.S., so I need to find four GW-1058's correct? I'm not sure if these will be hard to find, I recall reading that getting a set of approved woofers was a difficult task:
Speaker City sells speakers, drivers, audiophile loud: 10 in. MI Speaker

And I'm looking for and Amp6-Basic. This is what I need, right? And an aluminum heat case to seal it in?
41Hz Audio:AMP6-BASIC kit

And four tweeters, something like this?
Piezo Tweeter in Speaker and Horn Drivers | eBay

And I hope to make a LiPoFe4 pack out of something like these:
HEADWAY 38120S LiFePO4 10000mAh

I have a DMM and soldering equipment. My roommate majored in CE so he will be able to help me a bit. Woodwork I will be able to handle. I will keep it fairly simple. I think I only want a simple "audio in". I don't remember how this was done. I will read through to see if I can find it again. I vaguely understand everything that is going on from going through the thread... the importance of the internal volume, the size of the reflex ports, making sure everything is sealed, etc, but it's a lot to take in.

I do realize that everything I'm asking is embedded in the 4K posts, just hoping to speed the process up a bit so I can start pricing/buying. I have a feeling it will take a bit to get everything ordered. Thanks for any pointers! I'm familiar with the frustration of feeding people by hand, but I could use some help!

amp6 nearly finished

I should really be posting on the 41hz forum but for some reason, it wont let me so I hope you dont mind me asking here while the admins sort it out.... I'm almost finished building the AMP6 but...

The modded 470nf WIMA caps.... no polarity like the supplied caps?

D2 diode, I assume that the black band goes to the side with the printed line on the PCB?
R8 and R11 - what are the values of the resistors?
where does the LED go?
what is J10 for?.......

hopefully, up and running tomorrow night........

*BJ*

Hey everyone,

I found the Boominator last year and put it on the bucket list. I am now ready to start with this project. Here's the quick low down: I have not worked with electronics other than on vehicles. So my experience is admittedly limited. From what I've read I understand less than I know. I read this whole thing through a long time ago, but only some of it stuck, so am welcome to criticism but am also determined to make this machine. I plan on using this as noise for the garage, camping, (some)indoors, backyard parties, and everything in between. It may be useful for me to be able to plug it into a 110 socket (but I imagine just solar will be fine). I am not an audiophile, so will pick less complexity over less quality if the choice arises.

That being said, I'm in the U.S., so I need to find four GW-1058's correct? I'm not sure if these will be hard to find, I recall reading that getting a set of approved woofers was a difficult task:
Speaker City sells speakers, drivers, audiophile loud: 10 in. MI Speaker

And I'm looking for and Amp6-Basic. This is what I need, right? And an aluminum heat case to seal it in?
41Hz Audio:AMP6-BASIC kit

And four tweeters, something like this?
Piezo Tweeter in Speaker and Horn Drivers | eBay

And I hope to make a LiPoFe4 pack out of something like these:
HEADWAY 38120S LiFePO4 10000mAh

I have a DMM and soldering equipment. My roommate majored in CE so he will be able to help me a bit. Woodwork I will be able to handle. I will keep it fairly simple. I think I only want a simple "audio in". I don't remember how this was done. I will read through to see if I can find it again. I vaguely understand everything that is going on from going through the thread... the importance of the internal volume, the size of the reflex ports, making sure everything is sealed, etc, but it's a lot to take in.

I do realize that everything I'm asking is embedded in the 4K posts, just hoping to speed the process up a bit so I can start pricing/buying. I have a feeling it will take a bit to get everything ordered. Thanks for any pointers! I'm familiar with the frustration of feeding people by hand, but I could use some help!

Everything you need to know about the casing and the mesurements can be answered by the Sketchup drawing of the Boominator: BoominatorDIY by Saturnus - 3D Warehouse

The best piezo tweeters to go for are the Motorola KSN-1001A or KSN-1005A (both the same, only different to mount. Since you are in the US, you should be able to get the 1001 or the 1005 here Model KSN 1001A - Super Horn - Piezo Source Store or the 1005A here CTS Tweeters, High Frequency Tweeters and Horns- CTS formerly Motorola for good quality and cost effective systems. CTS speaker upgrades. CTS tweeters here.

The recommended cheap replacement piezo tweeter for the Motorola's is the Monacor MPT-001, don't know if you can find it in the US but you can in Europe.

Is it easy to make such a LiPoFe4 pack?... :) The cheapest option is an SLA-battery for sure.

Thanks for that link! I had looked for the sketchup thing yesterday, but if you don't log in it doesn't tell you anything! For some reason I thought it had been deleted from when I saw it last year. I'm now logged in so I can see it.

It's not super difficult to make a LiPoFe4 pack... I've made them for motorcycles before. Love that battery configuration. It's super lightweight and works like a dog. It's not cheaper by any means, but I feel the weight alone makes it worth the price. Not to mention all the other benefits. I know for vehicles you can use a battery with a much lower Ah than stock because it is able to draw full charge all the way until it's nearly dead. SLA batteries slowly get less potent. Not sure how that translates to a long slow discharge of a boombox, but I remember Saturnus saying at some point he liked them so I'm going to go that route.

The modded 470nf WIMA caps.... no polarity like the supplied caps?

Nope. No polarity.

D2 diode, I assume that the black band goes to the side with the printed line on the PCB?
R8 and R11 - what are the values of the resistors?
where does the LED go?
what is J10 for?.......

None of these parts are on any of my amp6s... ignore them, and leave them out for now?

It's not super difficult to make a LiPoFe4 pack... I've made them for motorcycles before.

Hi 7moore7 ! Which cells you planing to use? Im thinking to go the same route for my build. Just trying to find the right BMS to go with it. Does it have to be balancing one? Is it ok to connect solar panel directly to it, or do i need solar charge controller also?
Best luck with your project!