• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

The Best tube/valve sound!?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
No you can't. A CM choke reduces common-mode HF noise, so you need a common-mode HF noise source. Rectifier hash will be mainly differential-mode so it won't stop that. It might help with the small proportion which is common-mode, but caps can do that anyway.

A CM choke could reduce rectifier spikes getting coupled into the heater circuit via transformer winding capacitance (thanks to SY for reminding me of that) but to do that you would put the CM choke before the reservoir cap, so the cap stray capacitance to ground does not bypass the choke.

the CM choke has 4 leads and can be reconnected as a differential choke, you gave me another idea, will try that in future builds....

i have been told also by a friend who makes ferrite torroid CM, and some hobbyists are getting those from him and using CM chokes on the filaments....will try that too...:D

the CM choke has 4 leads and can be reconnected as a differential choke, you gave me another idea, will try that in future builds....

i have been told also by a friend who makes ferrite torroid CM, and some hobbyists are getting those from him and using CM chokes on the filaments....will try that too...:D

One great advantage of this "common mode" approach is, no one would consider to solder the common wire to the wrong place, near the negative output of the rectifier, then complain on SS diodes that sound bad. :D

Hi guys!
I'm interested in this line-stage from Tony that the output impedance Zout = a? and how is his gain?
Is anyone have some kind remarks about them?
What can I change for the schematic DC-voltage anod B+(Ua)=160?
Is the output can be set to a logarithmic potentiometer P101=2X22k, and at the input to ask autenat 4k7/22k?
thank you!

the power traffo i used has a center leg of 0.75inch and stacked to about 1 inch, 10turns per volt, 220volt primary, secondaries are 110volts and 6.9volts...

B+ is about 130 volts when operating, currents are about 10mA per triode...

output impedance Zout is in to 300 ohm range.....

the input volume control is in fact a 100k audio taper alps pot, but you can use any where from 20k to 250k to suit your taste...

here is a list of tubes that will work in my preamp:
6922WA, CCA, CV10320, CV2492, CV2493, CV8065, E88CC, E88CC01, ECC868, 6DJ8, CV5358, ECC88, 7DJ8, CV10403, PCC88, UCC88, 6N1P, E188CC,7308, CV5231, CV5354, E288CC, 8223, 6R-RH2, 6R-RH8...

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
....... 6N1P.....

sory to edit out all other tubes, but I have 6N1p, and tempted to try it for my hiend bass guitar preamp :eguitar:

CCDA ? I know it means constant current draw, but whats the reason for it ?
but all I see different is a diode to the cathode output, bootstrapping or whatevr it does
is that really all ?

the power traffo i used has a center leg of 0.75inch and stacked to about 1 inch, 10turns per volt, 220volt primary, secondaries are 110volts and 6.9volts...

B+ is about 130 volts when operating, currents are about 10mA per triode...

output impedance Zout is in to 300 ohm range.....

the input volume control is in fact a 100k audio taper alps pot, but you can use any where from 20k to 250k to suit your taste...

6922WA, CCA, CV10320, CV2492, CV2493, CV8065, E88CC, E88CC01, ECC868, 6DJ8, CV5358, ECC88, 7DJ8, CV10403, PCC88, UCC88, 6N1P, E188CC,7308, CV5231, CV5354, E288CC, 8223, 6R-RH2, 6R-RH8...

Hi Tony!
Which of these tube provides the best sound for your taste?
Instead of two series connected diodes 1N4004 can eat two set of resistors connected in series by 82ohm (2x82ohm).
I'll do with the new power semiconductor devices.
For my CD-player Technics who resistors that connect to the preamp input?
If you do some measurements of the preamplifier Tony post them here ..
Thank you for your cooperation

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
the diode is fixed biasing, it can be replaced by a resistor instead....i did not hear any difference either way...more info here....CCDA: constant-current-draw amplifier

ahh, I see, its like a balance act between input anode and output cathode, using equal resistors

you omitted one resistor in output cathode ?

edit :clown: quote(Broskie), resistor R7 (the extra cathode resistor) is optional, although highly recommended, as its inclusion buffers the cathode follower’s output from heavy capacitive loads and increases the cathode follower’s linearity, but at the cost of increased output impedance.

Attachments

• CCDA.jpg
    CCDA.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 612
Tony said:
the CM choke has 4 leads and can be reconnected as a differential choke, you gave me another idea, will try that in future builds.
Bear in mind that only a CM-mode choke will offer DC current cancellation. The right reason to use a CM choke is that you have CM noise on big currents - a CM choke can be much smaller and cheaper than a pair of normal chokes which would cope with the big currents.

There are other ways to wire a bifilar-wound choke, but you have to think where the currents and signals go; which get blocked, which get passed, which get cancelled in the core.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.