The best sounding audio integrated opamps

Third question, somewhat rhetorical:- Why does a radio receiver work inside a car/van/truck/warehouse/railway station where the "holey" cage nearly encloses the receiver?

Frequently these days builders will defeat the inherent shielding of a structure, like cellphones working in elevators, etc. The fringing field at radio frequencies for car windows would make a car a poor Faraday cage.

Hi Scott

Are you the op-amp designer guy?

If so, what's your experience of whether so-called audio-grade op-amps are double blind tested for sonics by the manufacturers?

I doubt it, casual listening (op-amp rolling) would probably best describe it. And BTW I knew Bob Pease for more than 30yr. and everything he ever told me in private about audiophiles was unprintable, same went for Jim Williams (but he was polite about it).

Peelaaa - I'm not doubting that you thought you heard a difference several hours after you last heard the player with the old op-amps. After all, you'd feel like a right tw*t if you didn't after spending all that money, but have you actually READ this thread?

No. I heard it instantly. I fitted the op amps into holders so could easily replace them with the originals. So could easily compare. Didn't do actual tests with equipment, just used my ears. I also tried some analog devices but preferred the sound of the Burr Browns instead.
I haven't read the whole thread, its very long. I'll do my best though.

Last edited:
Scott

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that there aren't audible differences between op-amps but I suspect they only occur when the op-amp is pushed close to the edge of it's specified performance envelope.

I've searched far and wide for statistically valid objective evidence of audible differences but I've found nothing.

Can anyone point at a webpage or other reference that does show that?

I am certain a quick settling time and high slew rate are the ones to look out for. For instance the settling time of the opa637 is 3 times as fast as the opa132 and 1.5 as fast as the opa627. Also slew rate of opa637 is 5 times as high as opa132 and twice as high as opa627.
All this information is from texas instruments website.

People's descriptions of what they hear are most definely NOT scientifically rigorous. They are highly subjective and may be biased by expectations and previous knowledge.

That's true - however that's why science has developed checks and balances like peer review, which is what's happening here. Subjective bias is unavoidable - because we're human. Its merely your opinion that descriptions of sensory input aren't scientifically rigorous - would you like to support that opinion with evidence and reasoning, which traditionally has been the way science works?

A properly conducted double blind test will tell you whether Audioman's DAC with plastic case op-amps sounds different to an otherwise identical one with metal can op-amps.

So you claim, but your claim here is merely a hypothesis. Now to be rigorous science, a hypothesis must be falsifiable. At present yours is not because it contains non-rigorous words like 'properly'. Care to shore up the lack of rigor?

Did National conduct such a test or a DBT test between their LME series audio op-amps and other high performance op-amps? I'll let Audioman tell us.

He won't be able to because of the weasel word used - 'properly' - which you have yet to explain.

The original challenge stands methinks.

That remains your opinion, yes.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
In my micromega stage 6 I replaced all the op amps with 4x OPA627BP and 5x OPA637BP.

Originally fitted were 2x OPA2604 and 5 x opa132.

The addition of the new opamps brought a warm fuller sound. Extremely low levels of bass and very clear vocals. Can't say HF was any clearer but overall the levels of midrange clarity increased a lot.

Have you at least scoped it to make sure all is well ?

This is a Micromega Stage 2
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/anal...u-have-checked-see-its-stable-havent-you.html

My notion is that the metal can acts like a faraday cage, improving immunity to RF-induced effects.

From my experience, even tho it is not a "controlled" experience, I often found that metal case parts sound better. It is probably because one simply has better build quality, not because of the case, so I claim nothing. But if you think that everyone has the same listening ability then of course you are wrong.

Imagine how a optocoupler(?) or a photo diode works. A certain amount of light intensity is required to make electrons move. Doesn't this, to certain degree, happen also with transistors? The metal can is supposed to better protect the junctions from the external influence, no?

Try the blind test under the sun in a daylight. Who knows it will be audible there?

Have you at least scoped it to make sure all is well ?

This is a Micromega Stage 2
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/anal...u-have-checked-see-its-stable-havent-you.html

Al of this diy on the stage 6 was done over 10 years ago, tried various chips, including some analog devices. I liked the sound from the burr browns, just used my ears and spendor speakers. The AD's had a thinner sound, possibly more detail in the HF if I recall correctly. Was happy with the opa627 and opa637, couldn't use opa637 to replace some of the original op-amps due to the gain not being unity stable.

Imagine how a optocoupler(?) or a photo diode works. A certain amount of light intensity is required to make electrons move. Doesn't this, to certain degree, happen also with transistors? The metal can is supposed to better protect the junctions from the external influence, no?

Try the blind test under the sun in a daylight. Who knows it will be audible there?

:( Imagine could be the operative word. The metal cans were hermetic and high temp mainly when plastics took years to catch up.

Abraxalito

So you claim, but your claim here is merely a hypothesis. Now to be rigorous science, a hypothesis must be falsifiable. At present yours is not because it contains non-rigorous words like 'properly'. Care to shore up the lack of rigor?

I thought my post # 1936 explains how to run a proper DBT. As SY correctly points out in the following post, it won't allow you to prove that the two DACs sound the same, but it will allow you to prove whether the sonic improvements that Audioman reports when changing from plastic to metal can op-amps are real or imagined. That's especially true if the same digital front end of the DAC is used and only the I-V and o/p stages are different by means of different packages for the same op-amp (although otherwise closely matched using identical components).

But no doubt you'll have a reason why that's not the case. I know...it's the DBT switch contact that masks any audible differences or the 0.01% difference in the values of the feedback resistors. Right?

Let me just reiterate in case you haven't yet realised it - I'm not saying that there aren't audible differences between op-amps but people who make those claims must prove it.

I'm still waiting for you to provide that reference to such proof by the way, but you seem to have skipped that in your replies.

Last edited: