The best sounding audio integrated opamps

oh, well maybe you could help :)

my PC soundcard is fed w/ ±12V from the ATX PSU(I chose one w/ the lowest ripple available, it's a clearly audible improvement over the old one I had)..anyway, I was told that on my soundcard:

There are two LM7809 and LM7909 on the card, you can upgrade them to LM7812 & 7912. You may worry the drop off voltage of the power supply but from my own experiment it has been prevent to be very effective and these opamp couple perform even better with this mod.

all the ppl I've talked told me that it doesn't sound like a good deal to get unregulated ±12.3V over regulated ±8.8V...especially from a SMPS.

Would you have a better advice for me by any chance please?
It certainly seems like the Burson must sound a lot like the OPA-Earth... (you brought me back to my comparisons between LT1028/OPA211/AD797 etc. and those discrete opamps)

Kind of a hyper-realistic presentation, and one that's bass and midbass light... :cloud9::D Ah well, someone just likes special effects in audio. Me, I prefer not to be corrupted... and that's why I've always come back to the LT1028 or other chips (including LME49710, OPA211).
it's like the Earth, but a lot less distorted...I did A/B them, SS was slightly better on the Burson, but sound was utterly distorted on the Earth.

yes, there's stuff all around my head, not just stuck to my ears...it's awesome on headphones :)

now, maybe some funky dolby headphones stuff could do the same on IC's...lemme find out for you :p

Last edited:
...and Andrea the audio engineers at National are endowed in other "more important ways" than "synaesthesia"...and yes I had to look it up!:D Are you an English Major?
They just do their thing, like anyone else... They're specialized in designing, we're specialized in listening...

I surely agree with you in preferring the "metal cans". The LME49720HA is probably my favorite dual opamp, just ahead of the LME49723. I still think the LME49723 sounds more natural in some ways... but the LME49720HA surpasses it in other ways that I can't deny...and doesn't sound lightweight like the 49720NA, something that I can't stand.

BTW, I'm not surprised that a new (seen in the news section of a magazine) high-end DAC made in the UK uses the LT1028, such a 'niche' choice of opamp in the world of audio... they must know their thing. If I was on the market for such a expensive DAC, I would buy that one on this basis alone - they surely knew well what they were aiming at. :)

Andrea,

One other quick note (I missed your last response while crafting my last email) if you, and others in the group, take the time to try the LME49713HA you cannot just plug it into a VFB socket. It requires a set feedback resistor, 1.2 to 1.5k and can be difficult to use. However the linear impedance with frequency and the bigger output stage, 100ma, yields excellent audio results. Also I prefer inverting circuits for CFB parts. Just wanted to save you a little time if you decided to try the 713HA's. We had several "Tube" people at National and they liked the the "Sound" of the LME49713HA's the best of all the parts...me too! (I am not a "Tube Audiophile...at all!)

Also I believe that all good designs must meet certian techinal standards and be then be subjected to "controlled" (matched levels to 1/2 a dB) listening tests. This is why we had a sound room at National. I don't know of another Semiconductor Manu that has a dedicated sound room but maybe they do?

I also agree completly that the human body is an incredible design and there are things we don't understand fully how it processes audio information. We do know though that people do hear different things is different ways...but in order to make things repeatable we need to TRY and correlate measurements with what we perceive that we hear. For example just before we were all laid off we found that small differences in THD+N measurements, that
were linear with frequency, were always audible as an improvement. But the lines on the graph had to be parallel to each other. Bumps or slopes in the graph did not give the same results.

Such a fun hobby / profession Huh?

Mark / Audioman54

Andrea,

One other quick note (I missed your last response while crafting my last email) if you, and others in the group, take the time to try the LME49713HA you cannot just plug it into a VFB socket. It requires a set feedback resistor, 1.2 to 1.5k and can be difficult to use. However the linear impedance with frequency and the bigger output stage, 100ma, yields excellent audio results. Also I prefer inverting circuits for CFB parts. Just wanted to save you a little time if you decided to try the 713HA's. We had several "Tube" people at National and they liked the the "Sound" of the LME49713HA's the best of all the parts...me too! (I am not a "Tube Audiophile...at all!)
Thanks, but I was already aware! I simply avoid to mess with current-feedback opamps... too lazy to learn how they're to be used.

I'm sure the LME49713HA will be great, but, how many DIYers can take advantage of it?

Also I believe that all good designs must meet certian techinal standards and be then be subjected to "controlled" (matched levels to 1/2 a dB) listening tests. This is why we had a sound room at National. I don't know of another Semiconductor Manu that has a dedicated sound room but maybe they do?
I don't really have a clue... But something like the LT1028 meets the standards of today very well, since it appears to still be one of the lowest distortion / lowest noise opamps around.

I also agree completly that the human body is an incredible design and there are things we don't understand fully how it processes audio information.
Hmm, well... an awful lot of things!! I think that the scientific understanding of man's perceptive faculties is at a really childish stage.

While I believe that the intuitive understanding of the heavy limitation of science as opposed to the subjective experience of reality everyone has, is much more developed in men... probably, more in women...

We do know though that people do hear different things is different ways...but in order to make things repeatable we need to TRY and correlate measurements with what we perceive that we hear.
Absolutely... there must be a final convergence between the "subjective" and the "objective". And within the intellectual and sensitive experience of every individual being.

The biggest mistake of western civilization, is having created all these opposed cathegories which exclude each other... "dualism" is how it's called. It's all false... Everything is found in its reverse: such as the subjective in the objective, and vice versa.

Such a fun hobby / profession Huh?

Mark / Audioman54
Surely it's fun, but a cognitive experience too...both the profession and the hobby, I believe. Just as happens in music: it's a cognitive voyage, no matter if you're the musician or the music lover.

Last edited:
Andrea,

Having had many musicians in the sound room has shown me that people hear differently for different reasons. We had a piano teacher come in once to evaluate some modifications to a CD player many years ago. She listened to both the modified and unmodified units and after a few minutes she picked the unmodified unit as the better one! I was a bit disheartened but then asked her why. She said that on the unmodified unit she could not hear the "Students" mistakes and preferred that. After that my evaluation of listening test results changed dramatically!

When I am all done with the measurements on a new design I sit down in my sound /home theater room (i.e. modified garage) at home and listen to my favorite recordings. If I hear new things or find a level of enjoyment that is very pleasing and relaxing then I know the technical improvements were worthwhile. Sometimes of course things measure well but listening makes me edgy and I can't relax. Back to the bench for more work when that happens!

Thanks for our conservations/emails today! I really enjoyed it. I am off now to work on a new D/A proto unit with the AK4399 32 bit DAC.

Mark / Audioman54

I've been following this thread looking for opinions on a quality opamp but so far all I seem to have gathered is.........

I'm a language & literature student :)

To which I would never have guessed, your repetitive philosophical views and diction are coming across rather mundane. I may be wrong but I think we are posting on a Diy Audio site, not superlative speech today.

It seems judging by the recent posts I'm not the only person you are annoying with your demeanor.

A few questions if I may?:
Why defer from the title?
Why not allow folk to have their own entitled opinions?

And last but not least:
Do you own shares in the LT1028?

To which I would never have guessed, your repetitive philosophical views and diction are coming across rather mundane.
It's a possibility... but in that case, the arguments they were meant to reply to were all the more mundane. And I'm not saying they were.

I may be wrong but I think we are posting on a Diy Audio site, not superlative speech today.
Now it's superlative? :p Anyway, I can talk of audio as well, can't I? :)

It seems judging by the recent posts I'm not the only person you are annoying with your demeanor.
Looking for consensus is condemning yourself to conformity... I prefer to stay true to myself :)

Why defer from the title?
Have I?

Why not allow folk to have their own entitled opinions?
Haven't I?

You bet! :spin:

I've just tried the LT1028ACN8, it's very nice as final buffer! too polite to my taste, not 3D'ish enough compared to the new burson...but very impressive nonetheless :)

I'll run a shoutout against the AD797BN within a few days.

When we find a chip we like, we can easily sound like fanboys...and LT makes awesome chips anyway, far better than National and BB IMVHO.

Having had many musicians in the sound room has shown me that people hear differently for different reasons. We had a piano teacher come in once to evaluate some modifications to a CD player many years ago. She listened to both the modified and unmodified units and after a few minutes she picked the unmodified unit as the better one! I was a bit disheartened but then asked her why. She said that on the unmodified unit she could not hear the "Students" mistakes and preferred that. After that my evaluation of listening test results changed dramatically!
That must teach us how very vain our audiophile pride & ambitions can be...

I call the audiophiles "sub-humans"... and I consider myself more an audiophile than not :p

And (teach us) that the pleasure in music listening doesn't lie in a sort of intellectual analysis of what's being reproduced... which our conceptions of "sound quality" should probably take (more) inspiration from.

When I am all done with the measurements on a new design I sit down in my sound /home theater room (i.e. modified garage) at home and listen to my favorite recordings. If I hear new things or find a level of enjoyment that is very pleasing and relaxing then I know the technical improvements were worthwhile. Sometimes of course things measure well but listening makes me edgy and I can't relax. Back to the bench for more work when that happens!
That is the right approach :)

Thanks for our conservations/emails today! I really enjoyed it. I am off now to work on a new D/A proto unit with the AK4399 32 bit DAC.
I envy you that... really... not the work, but the result :)

Thanks, I enjoyed the conversation as well!

Last edited:
I've just tried the LT1028ACN8, it's very nice as final buffer! too polite to my taste, not 3D'ish enough compared to the new burson...but very impressive nonetheless :)

I'll run a shoutout against the AD797BN within a few days.

When we find a chip we like, we can easily sound like fanboys...and LT makes awesome chips anyway, far better than National and BB IMVHO.

Yeah... it's right behind the corner...

Anyhow, I'm glad you like it. I know what you mean by calling it polite, but that's also part of why I love it.

By 'every individual' I guess you mean myself?

I'm dumb, you're a genius. Feel better now?

'Troll' springs to mind. Do you know what I mean or is the word a little basic for your extensive vocabulary?
I didn't intend to make you feel dumb... I'm sorry if this was the case. :(

Anyway, isn't it just an ego problem? Like my ego is bigger than yours?

I'm trying to come across as one who has some significant arguments, rather than a strong ego. But perhaps the two things just go together, to an extent. I don't know for sure.

Or maybe they go totally opposite ways :D

Last edited:
I didn't intend to make you feel dumb... I'm sorry if this was the case. :(

Anyway, isn't it just an ego problem? Like my ego is bigger than yours?

I'm trying to come across as one who has some significant arguments, rather than a strong ego. But perhaps the two things just go together, to an extent. I don't know for sure.

Don't worry, you didn't make me feel 'dumb'.
Everyone has their own take on everything, some agree, some disagree, that's just the way it goes.

Chow.