"...the best preamplifier ever made" says Mr. David Price, Hi-Fi- World

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
well ...... I made some comparisons between commercial made AVCs , TVCs and PSM lightspeed .

all I can say is - to each his own . differences are matter of taste .

xformers have own virtues , PSM LS is brutal in resolution and transparency , but I can't say that one is better than other .

matter of taste .

Good, And well put Zen, :cheers:, now guys He is pretty right, its just a matter of what one likes. No need to start a argument. We had enough of that in the cable thread, ( soon to be closed )

It all has to do with personal taste, and to some ( YES SOME ) who has spent more money.

I'm still running my alps 20$ pot i bought from peter 4 years ago, passivly between my Sony CDP-620es cdplayer and my Mini aleph's.

that's right a 20$ Alps pot, ( thanks peter )

offering 6dB gain, high input impedance and low output impedance,
??

Its a transformer so the input impedance depends on the input of the next stage, and the output on the source impedance, and with 6db gain the input impedance drops to 1/4 the amp input impedance which might overload the source. (this is worst case, without the schematic its hard to say what the attenuater is doing). And with no buffering any noise on the output of the pre will get back to its input.

Last edited:
£7,500 is irrelevant here, those transformers cost approx $500 directly from a source

Wish I could say $10,000 was irrelevant!

Minimal design (high school physics), 2 $500 xformers, 3 selector switches, a chassis some wire and some connectors= about $1500. Lets say the dealer takes $4k, thats about $4500 profit per! ( Im not including marketing or the graft paid to the reviewer but come on somethings not right with these numbers)

??

Its a transformer so the input impedance depends on the input of the next stage, and the output on the source impedance, and with 6db gain the input impedance drops to 1/4 the amp input impedance which might overload the source. (this is worst case, without the schematic its hard to say what the attenuater is doing). And with no buffering any noise on the output of the pre will get back to its input.

Check this link for more info: Stevens & Billington Limited Audio transformers TX-102

Attachments

• sb.jpg
    sb.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 1,011
Wish I could say $10,000 was irrelevant!

Minimal design (high school physics), 2 $500 xformers, 3 selector switches, a chassis some wire and some connectors= about $1500. Lets say the dealer takes $4k, thats about $4500 profit per! ( Im not including marketing or the graft paid to the reviewer but come on somethings not right with these numbers)

Don't blame me, mine were much cheaper ;)

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=1039679&stamp=1161789242
http://www.audiosector.com/downloads/hifi+review.pdf
6moons audio reviews: AudioZone PRE-T1

Ok, didnt know the attenuation was done by xformer taps. Still: "In the case of operation with 6dB of gain and with 10kOhm load on the output the worst-case load impedance on the source will be 2500 Ohm plus copper losses. This is a very severe loading and many items of consumer electronic will not be able to drive such a load adequately! "

They still are, as the max output volume level will ultimately depend on speaker efficiency for a given amp.

Sure the less efficient the speakers the more likely you are to overdrive your amp, but if your pre mathces your amp sensitivity you will never over drive your amp no matter what your speakers are. So a lot of systems dont need a pre with gain. Do you find your system isnt loud enough without the 6db gain? If it is, you dont need the gain and could have gone the passive resistive route. (transformers will always effect the sound more than resistors).

Last edited:
2 more disadvantages:
The input to the TX-102 must be COMPLETELY free of DC offset; the presence of DC current materially degrades the performance of the TX-102 Transformer (and) The Source impedance in general should be as low as possible, the lower the impedance from which the TX-102 is operated the lower the distortion and the wider the effective bandwidth.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I don't were you got this information or heard it.
This is one of the Lightspeed Attenuator's hallmarks, an absolute lack of background noise, it has the blackest background you will (not) hear.

The Lightspeed Attenuator as I supply them has less measured noise than my top end Tektronics scope can measure, and that is 10uV, which is quieter than any pre I have measured.
This is why the power supply in my production Lightspeed Attenuator has first, a 12vdc regulated "linear" wall wart supply and then a 5vdc regulated internal supply.
Sure if some of the DIYer's start using smp supplies these are going to be nosier, as far as I'm concerned smp supplies have no place in this application, or any other high end audiophile product.

Cheers George

Can keep the impedance of entry fixed like a stepped ladder attenuator with resistors?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Shallco or other switches attenuators don't use DC in the signal path, so "zero" noise, & I am sure that a very good passive resistor added less noise than a LDR....

Merlin El Mago

Last edited:
The guys I know that have these perfer the 1 to 1 gain setting over the 6db gain setting, and from what I've seen I can understand why, at the +6db setting they start to ring like a bell but at unity gain they behave themselves.
Cheers George

Everybody whom I know, including 6moons reviewer, preferred 6dB setting. My personal units are permanently set for 6dB gain.

Sure the less efficient the speakers the more likely you are to overdrive your amp, but if your pre mathces your amp sensitivity you will never over drive your amp no matter what your speakers are. So a lot of systems dont need a pre with gain. Do you find your system isnt loud enough without the 6db gain? If it is, you dont need the gain and could have gone the passive resistive route. (transformers will always effect the sound more than resistors).

Exactly, with 12dB gain on the amp, 95dB efficient speakers and passive DAC output the system wouldn't be loud enough without 6dB gain in a linestage. Don't forget that 6dB difference in CD recording level is quite normal.

I was comparing TVC to Placette and preferred TVC as more neutral solution.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/chip-amps/73538-search-perfect-attenuator.html

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.