The best midrange

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I want know what is the best midrange for 3 way loudapeakers:

AudioTechnology C-Quenze 15 H 52 with kapton voice coil
Or
AudioTechnology C-Quenze 18 H 52 with kapton voice coil?

Somebody check the Aluminum VC vs Kapton VC in critical midrange?

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Audiophilenoob said:
I would say for pure midrange duty the PHL 1120 is pretty much impossible to beat :)

I'd agree with that for sure.

I read a review not long back where they compared a speaker using them to a pair of BUSH Acoustics speakers - the ultimate in hi-end for many folks. The PHL just beat them by 0.12357% over a 2 month non-stop listening test consisting of the Spice Girls albums and Shania Twain's 'Man, I feel Women' single set to repeat for eternity.

ShinOBIWAN said:

I'd agree with that for sure.

I read a review not long back where they compared a speaker using them to a pair of BUSH Acoustics speakers - the ultimate in hi-end for many folks. The PHL just beat them by 0.12357% over a 2 month non-stop listening test consisting of the Spice Girls albums and Shania Twain's 'Man, I feel Women' single set to repeat for eternity.

I get the sarcasm, I'm just not sure why =).

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Hi motion,

Just fed up of seeing 'which is the best driver' type threads.

Simple answer is it depends entirely upon the rest of your design and associated drivers. In isolation a mid range, tweeter or bass driver is little more than something to take measurements from.
So whilst its quite certain that some drivers are technically superior from just measurements and specs, its quite another thing when you put them into a 'system'.

Sure I understand people have to ask these types of questions but perhaps its better to include the intended partnering drivers From that folks can suggest suitable loading, volume, XO related stuff etc.

One thing I've always wondered about PHL drivers, how do you choose?

The don't seem to give a frequency response curve for any of their drivers. Now, I know these things are rarely very accurate, but as a rough guideline they are at least helpful in judging the accuracy of/potential crossover points for x driver.

Maybe you lot are just braver than me. But, if I'm gonna splash some cash, I'd rather it not be a shot in the dark...

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
454Casull said:
No more love for ATC, eh? Funny how things change.

Yes, the ATC that hasn't been mentioned by me in this thread at all is rubbish.

I've found that its best use isn't in any sort of speaker but because its rather heavy, I've found it makes a superb device for holding down upto 1000 sheets of Adobe PDF printouts.
Unfortunately the upper limit of my testing equipment could only assss the working performance upto 1000 sheets, above this and you may damage your PDF copies.

fishball79 said:
What about the PHL1220? Looks like the 1120 is discontinued... I missed the boat! :bawling:

here's the link to many PHL graphs

http://www.akkus.com.pl/index.php?grupa=gl_szczegoly&firma=phl&model=1120&lang=pl&dh=dt

they are unsmoothed so take that into account

also the PHL 1120 is the pure midrange with the best SQ... the way I decided to get them was simply I decided on reviews from people who bought many of the different ones like Thylantar did... he has the 8" midrange, 1120, and 1660... :) not forgetting that Thy also has Seas, Focal Audicom, and Audax PR170M0's :p :p

also I don't think the 1120 is discontinued

derf said:

The don't seem to give a frequency response curve for any of their drivers. Now, I know these things are rarely very accurate, but as a rough guideline they are at least helpful in judging the accuracy of/potential crossover points for x driver.

Maybe you lot are just braver than me. But, if I'm gonna splash some cash, I'd rather it not be a shot in the dark...

oh it's not a shot in the dark.... :)

derf said:

In the US, the problem today is getting PHL product in warehouses as places seem to be out of stock.

The choices of PHL originally was based on which ones were in stock.

The ones I tried were 1120, 1660, 2520.

The ones I have not tried but the reviews were great are;
3451 {or 3450} and 1340 {or 1240}, some of their drivers come in 8 ohm or 16 ohm version and it should have the same sonic character.

Some of their drivers are high sensitivity primarily used for a 'pure midrange' application, ie, 1120, 1660, 2520, 3450.

But for a midwoofer application where you want more low end with sacrifice to sensitivity and people want a MTM design they would choose dual 1240's at 16 ohms each for a net of 8 ohms.
Or you can get the 1340 that is 8 ohm.

If you search the archives you will see some 'Branwell' posts regarding these drivers and how they sounded compared to Seas, the pros/cons of each were noted.

When I was looking for high sensitivity midranges I just ordered
those three that I mentioned above and auditioned them, that is how I made the decision on which one to use, doing listening tests.

Another thing to note, the last price quote I received recently
was much higher than a few years ago. The 8" PHL now cost
~ $250 US where it was only $169 a while back. The price hike may dissuade people from using them as people may find
satisfaction using Focal, SS, Seas for 1/2 the price or even the
Dayton Reference at under $50 a driver.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.