The best Amplifier circuit ever made.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What is the best sound amplifier thopologie, using BJTs only

When I, old an gray, audiomanic, prefer Aksa related other amplifiers
When all my audioholic friends also prefer that thopologie and Brand.
When I have spent my time, all life long, 45 years, assembling and testing amplifiers
When Yamaha, Kenwood and Sony are using that thopologie in their modern equipments
When STK from Sanyo, last chip model, are using that thopologie inside their chips

When factories are preferring transistors in the place of chips, even when they need to reduce space to construct five channels amplifiers…. and going…or returning to use that same thopologie.

When you can see dozen of Professional brands using this thopologie, working together guitar and bass, all them considered heavy duty amplifiers, the ones that cannot make shame in one alive show… cannot fail or burn fuses or distort too much.

When you research the last 30 years and you count the schematics published and see that 40 percent are using “something alike” this diagram.

When we can imagine, the professional designers, from Japan and all world are not idiots.

When we see that the price difference, comparing this schematic with others more complicated, is not a good reason to avoid more complicated designs if they really can sound better… when 10 small and cheap transistors used in CCS and Mirrored differential pairs… only 6 small transistor more, and some resistors, that can turn the price 0.00001 percent higher than this simple topologie .

I can conclude, and inform the guys that already not perceived …that the best wide world thopologie to produce good sound is this one.

I will be happy to hear your comments, of course my tests are subjective, as I am human and not a laboratory instrument…and in my idea, a hell with all waveforms, as I am not a Wave Form Monitor, also I am not an spectrum analiser and nor a distortion meter. Those things are only some reference to make conversation in the same language, as subjective language is not as easy as observe square waves.

If my idea is subjective, also subjective are Kenwood, Sony, Yamaha, Sanyo and many others, as you can see that schematic inside a lot of those equipments, the only that could produce a reasonable sound, using different thopologie, in my point of view, was Marantz…and the sound quality is more a pre amplifier result than the output circuit result.

I will be happy to hear some different ideas, but from qualified people…what I intended to say when I use the word “qualified”….people that already heard that thopologie, in special Aksa amplifiers, and had the chance to make a comparison of amplifiers using same speaker samples, same volume, same sonic air pressure, speaker in the same position and many musics playing, in a hard controlled blind testing…speakers must be more than one, naturally the more you have, the better the precision, as one speaker can “give advantage” to one amplifier related the other, also a good headphone …. The same quality as Top Philips Holland Line (wide world line, all them the same, made in holland or in Pacific Islands)…or even better Senheiser, or maybe Bayer or some other that you have the response graphic as a guarantee of performance, serious headphones, measured inside anecoic chamber.

If you evaluate with memory, I am sorry, you are not qualified, as memory cannot make that comparison.

If you compare speakers, changing speakers with same amplifiers, trying to match them, in the place of fixing amplifier and change speakers, you also not qualified, you are a speaker evaluator, not an amplifier evaluator.

If your comparison volume is measured with your ears….also you are out of qualification, not matter how many University Degrees you have….those degrees can be joined and used to make your chair more confortable.

If you know what amplifier is playing, you operating the switches….hehe…please!, do not loose your time, your are not a fair judge.

The thopologie, by itself do not guaranteed nothing related good sonics….opposite of that, is a guarantee of awfull sound amplifier…bad as a hell!…terrible!….the difference are in the changes Kenwood made, Sony made, Yamaha made and in special Hugh Dean made.

There are more components to put over this schematic, all them passive, to make it sound good.

Do not loose your time to calculate that circuit and assemble…. It will sound less than reasonable…have to study the modifications made by factories and Hugh… in my mind, there’s the man….one of my dream is go there, and have a picture together this man..to put in my room… together Mr. John Linsey Hood.

And money already separated to buy the new incredible sound amplifier he is doing…but do not want to tell me the way it is…what a hell Hugh!

No, this is not a paid publicity…but you are giving me a wonderfull idea…HELLO HUGH!!!…I accept some amplifiers as payment…hehe…this is fair.

I will give you my honor word, I can say that with my hand over the Bible, it is the true and I guarantee.

This basic circuit do not sounds good, it needs 12 modifications, parts inclusion, good transistor selection and good parts selection.

Regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• best amplifier.jpg
    best amplifier.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 7,523
Some way stone age can be good...lets think about marriage

You have to stay all life same woman.

Stone age you hunt her..hehe.

I am not comparing with FETs, IBGTs, MOSFETs...i cannot....i am talking about BJT.

I delay 45 years to have a conclusion...to have some sure i made a lot of testings...comparison testing...blind testing....changed people, changed music and changed speakers too..

Yuuuuga!!...with pride...i am stone age man!...but my sound is the best we can have, the thopologie is that one i show you.

I can say.... others are too modern, and now a days things are not made to be resistant, to use whole life...take a look in the past my friend.

Carlos

:) :D

hi ,

from the bottoms of my mind. even from my heart.
I agree with Sir Carlos. this is the best amplifier ever made by man given the power to think.

Many audiophiles here at home lived with this topology. Almost all mobile disco operators here used this topology. They feed there stomach with this topology.

Being from a state university though, I'm not an electronics technician student, I know so much about this amp, students call it here " 100watt PRACTICAL POWER AMP".
They carry this yellow colored book, about half an inch thick, containing
circuits including this amplifier the book is entitled " PRACTICAL ELECTRONICS ".

PRACTICAL , really is , simple to build, less components, minimum
crossover distortion.

I' ve learned so much from this amplifier. Actually the original
VBE multiplier from the book mentioned is a series string of two
1N4001's and a 56 ohm res.

becuase of this power amp I've learned what a current source is,

what is a complementary symmetry means?

what is a quasi complementary means?

current mirrors?

bootsrapping?

deep darlington?

Q current?

aaaahhhhh too long.

A modified version of this amp cannot outwit this mentioned amp.
Using same speaker system, same power supply, same out put power.
Sonic quality is quite undetectable......

:whazzat:

hienrich

Hello guys, i am not alone, this is not only the brazilian saying things.

The modern 5 channels amplifiers are using this circuit too.

My mouth is talking louder and with evidences to prove what i am saying, as respectable people is constructing that way., as i am Talking about Sony amplifiers, Talking about Yamaha amplifiers, Talking about Kenwood amplifiers, and talking about Sanyo Chips.

I am not alone.... they are not making those amplifiers because they are not good hearing people..or do you think they are crazy enougth to send their respected name to garbage can, making bad amplifiers.

Can you hearing some amplifier feel some deep slew rate?....Oh!...what a wonderfull decay!

I do not think that...no no no...they have not hearing problems, i have not hearing problems too...my friends are all with their audio tests, of course already made ,using audiometer, to avoid someone call them deff...the audio generator and meters where operated by an expecialized doctor...not deff nor crazy, niet, non, nein, nichst!

Yes, i believe that some friends can perceive some other circuit as beeing better than those designs.

Well i cannot go to your place or call you to come to compare those amplifiers, with a multinational hearing audience, under controled situations.

So.... this turns a matter of musical evaluation taste, i will prefere to believe in those factories i told you, and in my own evaluation, that was made with a lot of care... Aksa was under evaluation and comparison 3 monthes long....more than 50 people heard and evaluate in comparison with other famous brands.... 4 meetings were organized to check and re-check, and i am hearing everyday.

A Sony and Yamaha also was used to compare, the Sony is last year model.

regards,

Carlos

Ultima Thule said:
What is "deep darlington", I saw this word for the first time yesterday of an coincidence, or more exactely "three deep darlington"?

Did a fast search on "three deep darlington" and the only result was in this post by Jens Rasmusen.

Could it be three emitter followers in series?
Yes, it is. Just think of three transistors hooked up like the two transistor Darlington you normally see.

Dunno why you keep pushing with this commercial of yours. Have you become AKSA’s South America representative or what? I think we have all built this one, in many variations, long time ago. We have tested it, listened to it and enjoyed it. Long time ago. Yes, it sounded quite good, and yes, we were quite satisfied. Until we discovered new topologies, new approaches to achieve sound perfection. And guess what – we didn’t achieve it! Nor will we ever will. It will always be something better, something nicer. Always. And further more, I don’t think that Sony, Kenwood, Yamaha and such are good reference points. Maybe for this amplifier they are. There are too many amplifiers out there that are far better sounding than this one. And I don’t mean THD figures. I mean sound – hours and hours of listening. Hundreds of records played and great joy while doing it.

“And money already separated to buy the new incredible sound amplifier he is doing…but do not want to tell me the way it is…what a hell Hugh!”

And as you can see, even Hugh doesn’t think its good enough – he’s building a new one .

But how can that be?

Happy new Year and all the best!

I do not know what hugh is doing, but will be a challenge to make totally better.

Maybe can do something better to highs or to bass, something more powerfull, or something with more modern design.

He do not told me...he is working in secret for a while.

And takes a long time, as you know, to make one amplifier sound good...have to make a lot of changes after you made the calculations, not only to compensate the components errors but to "fine tune" the amplifier.

I could read a friend do not considered Sony and other respectable brand as good references...this way my comparison used bad reference and loose value...but was compared with JLH design and also Graham Maynard JLH updating design...those are not good too?

regards,

Carlos

No Quator, Hugh did not invite me to be a South America Representative.

And i did not ask him why.

But i know i am not a good salesman.

In my country people do not like to construct nothing, they wanna to pay someone to do that, and also they want their names over the panel.... i do not like those snobish guys i have here in the audiomaniac field...there are some Mac Intosh lovers that do not hear nothing different.... they do not taste and say that dislike the flavor...have not patient with those guys.

Here there are tubey guys too...only tubes.

And here, people say that good sound is when you go into the clipping...there are not so many good audiophiles i could meet.

My whole life i could find 38 people really interested in audio quality, some of them already died, some of them are in other state....thousand miles ahead...now i have 16 counting with me...the ones have enought knowledge to have fun comparing amplifiers.

Other problem is that i will be not too interested in sale the boards...hehe...they are so pretty.... i will be with all them to myself.

regards,

Carlos

Well, Carlos makes a point.

What sounds best in an amp circuit may be another form of the question.

For example, some Amps use current mirrors in the (LTP) differential stage, and some use emitter resistors on each transistor for the LTP saying that it reduces distortion. I wonder how if helps, and which is better.

Other amps use CCS instead of a load resistor, and some use bootstrap. Now I'd like to see a CCS and a bootstrap combined, that would be interesting :D

Now I wonder if some things done in amps are for sound quality, or versitility, or both. I imagine a CCS for example would be good for a battery powered amp to help stabilize bias (current through the VBE mult.) and allow it to run different supply voltages.

For me, as long as the amp can supply a clean output with little distortion, it's fine. Simple, or complex, as long as it can produce good signal, I'm happy.

EWorkshop, thank you, as you are re-directing to a very interesting subject.

The bootstrap.... all very good amplifiers i had, used bootstrap.

But i could hear some good units not using this design.

This way, i cannot say that only bootstrapped will produce good sound.

Now, with your good intervenction, you are opening our subject a little bit more... extending the range to more ideas...and i must confess i think this is very good.

regards,

Carlos

A Matter of Taste....

Carlos,

Thank you for championing my amplifier. Perhaps at times a little overstated, but certainly much appreciated.

Quattor,

You make interesting comments, and I respect your point of view. However, I am an audio designer, and I can't help myself - ca va sans dire, Monsieur - I HAVE to keep designing amplifiers because it is my passion. I'm doing a Class A bridged SE amp at present because many years ago I did a tube/mosfet SE hybrid which sounded marvellous and which I am redoing differentially for balanced input and twice the power, with double the efficiency. I do not necessarily expect it to sound better, but it will be pretty good, and it will be different. And, in amplifiers as in humanity, viva la difference!!

The truth is, there is a huge diversity of taste in amplifiers, just like speakers, cars, music, literature. It does seem that almost anything in audio can be sold IF the market is identified properly and 'harvested'. There is a market for the Bose loudspeaker, the Klipschorn, the Lowther, the Apogee, the Swan Baton. All have their place in the sun. In this environment, the 'best' is probably meaningless; we are looking to identify a portion of the audiophile population who show preference for a particular 'house' sound. My 'house' sound has proven quite popular; I believe I understand why, but I won't talk about it much because the reasons are technically controversial and I've never found shouting matches useful. This field, like any other of a technical nature, is redolent with intergalactic urinary contests (IUCs), which are primarily ego-driven, and which I must avoid at any cost because they polarize the public.

Cheers,

Hugh

Thank you hugh, to divide the "friendly fire" as i shake their bonds with that.

This way, friend Hugh, honored with your presence, and now friendly fire will have two targets, this will double my survivance chances.

Sound it is really a matter of taste, and there are many in this big world.

Related automobile and woman, i prefer "baixa com bustão", and can be bad translated not as low combustion machines,...can be translated as "not tall girls " with big front and tall over developed fat mountains... english sometimes good...to encript messages.

Related sound, i have no doubts to run to bootstrapped circuits...those you construct in special.

Tall girls, more than 5 feet high...for me is same as man... have no atraction for me.... those womans have the guarantee i will never be interested.... as beeing tall, they look alike a man to me.

As everything in our life.... a matter of taste.

regards,

Carlos

Ultima Thule

Re. your question earlier on "Deep Darlington" and "Three Deep Darlington".

Deep Darlington and Three Deep Darlington circuits are used to asure a very high Current Amplification in the driver stages to drive the Output Devices.

I have attached a schematic with Three Deep Darlington output circuits (the parts circled in red)

Attachments

• delta_pa-34a_schematic_design.pdf
    44.7 KB · Views: 1,257
Thank you Jan, i was waiting you to answer Thule... Epupa!!!

Hello Epupa, i am simulating your circuit.

Thank you to publish to us.

It is a little bit complicated, and a little expensive too...but it looks great!

Can you tell some about its sonics qualities.... compared to something we already know.

Of course, as i know you, a fair blind testing was made...i am sure about that.

I had informs, that monthes ago, one forum friend, receiving a foreigner visit, and the one evaluate very well the friend's amplifier, and the guy told us that the "sound he heard" was much better than a well known Brand.

But this was done without the "well known Brand" at same time, in same place....the guy judge using the "sound memory"...and this not a good reference.... as can be erase by a good relationship, a good wiskie, a good marketing and a confortable place.

But this have nothing related you.... just a story to tell you, related how unfair tests can be done.... because after 3 glasses o wiskie people will like frite mice with smashed ant sauce.

regards,

Thanks schematic pretty...and big!

Carlos

Hi great people around

:D

since we are now in the middle of sonic qualities.
and since I have also experienced building with the with the argued
topology and since it was also my stepping stone to learn so much
on power amplifier techniques and topologies.

sonic quality not only in the lower audio band or the mid or the highs, but the whole audio spectrum.
For me, sonic quality of an amplifier should be jugde not only with the
8 or 6 ohm load but should be judge even lower.

So have you guys tried this topology at 2 ohm loads or at 1 ohm (the worst thing), same speaker
system.

And have you tried using a mirror image deep darlington topology,
with same speakers same 2 or 1 ohm load (destructive loading).

So tell us the difference.

Since I have tried this, using my discriminating ears, I'm for the mirror image deep darlington topology.

Sorry but the thread's said topology is for me the worst one.

why does D. Self working so much on modifiying
that generic amp when at the end is still the same amp?

So if that said amp is great sounding, Jan Dupont is just wasting time working for his LYNX.

So maybe it's time for Bryston to go back to this topology.###

Hey, Anthony Holton change to this topologly.

Yes, that topology is rather still the best option if someone is looking
for a simple but workable power amplifier .
And commercially it is affordable and good for average listener that could only afford a minimum speaker load of 2 six ohm speakers for stereo (average).

I am 26, people might not believe me that I have also critical tastes about sonic qualities of an amplifier. Specially that I am a Jazz music fanatic. (hey I don't play, I just listen)

Conclusion: I would rather recommend this amp for beginners.
It's the world's best amplifier for beginners. Because I have begun
with this, and becuase of these I've learned to understand an
amplifiers' language, they do not speak but just get warm
when treated properly, but sparks when angry!!!

regards,

macweb

:) :) :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.