The battle of the DACs, comparison of sound quality between some DACs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
They will not tell you about some things, like tonal equilibrium, subjective transparency, subjective dynamics in the upper bass area, weigth of femal voice, decay of string notes, etc. THD and noise floor are not enough to rank a source, imho but that is off topic. It is a subjective test with a friends grup. I am more in the Planet10 camp though the bass and upper bass area should be very correct with the Tannoy. That is still educative.

Reactions: 1 user
D

Deleted member 537459

the tannoys are rather a reference, it is no coincidence that they have been and are studio monitor speakers. also in my opinion the measurements cannot determine the sound quality. like a Stradivari violin, its cost comes from the sound it makes, not from measurements.

Reactions: 1 user
With dacs implementations matter a lot. You cant say the op and friends were listening to the chips themselves but rather the surrounding circuitry. From the pics one dac has cheap chinese output caps (the dreaded red ones) while 1541 is trafo output- thats already a big discrepency favoring the 1541 unit ect.

Yeah i'm torn here. Other than mentioning a fair test is not really possible here, as there is no way to implement all of them the same. Just using the same source is not enough to make this useful and certainly not objective... lol.

Possibly the closest you could get is to implement all IV stages as suited to each chip/device and power supplies of same caliber, but use the same voltage buffer for following all. Whether that would be audible? hmmm

as the IV stage is integrated into Andreas discrete, that is not possible.

(note that I dont favour the lego block approach, so I feel dacs should have integrated output stage designs on the same PCB. there are certainly better implementations of ESS dacs)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.