The BA-3 as preamp build guide

The linestage is doing ok as far as function goes. Only 10 or 12 hours on it. With my F4 I certainly would like it to have more gain. Music does not get alive until the 12 o'clock attenuators position and nothing much happens -dynamically- below that. I'll try to parallel R5 with a 200 ohm R to raise gain a little, as described in the other ba thread. So far it's very smooth and musical.

Wondering, which of the First Watt offering amplifiers is the better match for this preamplifier. And, I'm using a single 0.68 uf coupling cap and no problem, it seems to work pretty well. No need to go to 10uf I guess.

Size of output cap depends on next stage input impedance...F4 has input impedance of 47K. you would at at least a 5UF cap in order not to roll off the bass. 10UF is safer and will let you use amps down to 1K input.

Probably the best partner for the BA-3 is the F4 or BA-2 output stage since that is what it is designed for. You can lose the input jfets on the F4 if you are going to use the BA-3 exclusively (making it a BA-2). I've used the BA-3 with the F5 as well. Basically all the first watt amps are low gain so it will work well with all of them. But with an F4 with no gain you are still looking at only 20db of gain with the BA-3. That's not a lot by conventional standards. Really, the BA-3 is designed to be used with a buffer/follower amp like the F4 or BA-2 output AND a preamp in front of it if you want typical gain levels.

Keep in mind, a commercial system is typically designed for many different "mates".

The beauty of DIY is the ability to tune for your system. If the BA-3 pre is going to be used with a F4, then a smaller cap may work just as well. There are plenty of online high pass filter calculators such as this to use.

For a 47K input impedance, the fc of the 0.68uF cap is about 5hz. If you don't feel like lacking of low end, then IMHO, 2.2uF is probably all you need which is more than 1 decade below 20hz. Smaller cap also allows to afford a very decent coupling cap without breaking the bank.

There is no right or wrong, only whatever is suitable for you. Feel free to experience, it is DIY after all!!

Edit: corrected some typos.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
even if you have Golden Ears , capable to tune one channel to your liking ....... no way that Ears are golden enough , to make second channel identical

so, leave it at 50% , and go back in few months , when you chew up how to use simple analyzing rig (pc, decent sound card and freeware prog)

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
reelone -

The PCB works just fine. There's only ever been one layout, Nelson did it himself, and it works. The Store PCB is a carbon copy of that artwork.

Please post some some well-lit, in-focus photos of your build. We can most likely spot something that can get it to work.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Another BA-3 Preamp in the books! My second. I think the boards are ok ;)

Added switchs to adjust the gain between high (normal) and low.
Here it's driving the MoFo mono blocks, which need high gain to drive them.

The 10mm face plate is too thick for the pot and switch.
Needs to be milled out.

Thanks

Vince

Attachments

• 20180408_093044.jpg
    20180408_093044.jpg
    987.4 KB · Views: 531
  • 20180408_093127.jpg
    20180408_093127.jpg
    749.9 KB · Views: 478
I said i would upload some pictures a while back, so here goes. I've had about a months time with it since finishing and i love it!

This was my first time doing some more serious casework, and that shows. Still, i am reasonably happy about it. As evident, the case is way to big, but it was pretty cheap and nice quality from Toroidy, and on the plus side it is absolutely hum free, no doubt owing to the massive separation between toroid and BA-3 board:)

attachment.php

Transformer is toroidal 2x22v from Toroidy also, PSU is Rod Elliotts preamp PSU set to 24V. I gather this is a bit more than it was intended for, and fitting the heatsinks to the LMs was a bit tricky since it is quite tight. Also, the wire holes were tiny so wiring it up got quite fiddly.

I used Salas I-select for input selector, together with his LED-selector solution (front pic below). I really like this board, i wish i had bought more than one! It gets power from the AUX section of the PSU, dropped to approx. 27V DC using 4 diodes in series.

attachment.php

Selector is cheap Valab one from Ebay, it's cropped up here and there in this thread before i believe (same as you vdi_nenna?). Mundorf caps, again if i ever build another one (i might) i will use something less wide, measuring the bias V was a pain with these!

jfets from store, matched toshiba mosfets from liubincalvin. I grounded connected a ground shunt on the output using a 100k resistor i believe (as per instructions from mr. ZM). It replaces the digital preamp mode of my audio streamer and punches way above it. It sounds gorgeous and has much more gain. For my 86db/W 4 ohm speakers (Dynaudio excite x16) i can now play much louder than i need :D I have actually not been above 3/4 of max volume yet since things start shaking by that time and i like my neighbours...

Thanks 6L6 for this great build guide, i studied it intensely while waiting for parts to arrive, and it allowed me to finish the build without major hickups. Such a great resource to us beginner DIY'ers! Thanks Mr. Pass for generously making this design available. Thanks to ZM for helpful answers along the way!

Attachments

• IMG_5600.jpg
    IMG_5600.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 958
  • IMG_5592.JPG
    IMG_5592.JPG
    837.5 KB · Views: 666
Joined 2000
Paid Member
I was going to route out the backside of the faceplate.
I have some mill ends, but no mill. Just a drill press
A friend of mine has a mill.
Take him 10 minutes and do a nicer job than me. :)

I know. Never use a drill press as a mill.
Can't handle the lateral stress. It's dangerous.
A mill is designed for the job.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
What are those regs you're using?

317/337 from parts-exprsss.com. $11US each. ;)

I suppose I could use some better regs, but someone should tell the cheap regs they shouldn't sound this good first.

This preamp was supposed to be a "throw together quick" project to hear the Mofo power amp. The combination is excellent. Really engaging.

Attachments

• 20180408_155947.jpg
    20180408_155947.jpg
    564.5 KB · Views: 249