The BA-3 as preamp build guide

Joined 2017
Paid Member
@Variac, thank you, I was way off lol!

6l6, thank you for the web link.

If I understand it correctly, will I need the following?

MCL - LCD Control Board for MUSES® Electronic Volume Control

SVC Hi-End MUSES®
Electronic Volume Control with Input Selector

Will I need the separate power supply offered?

LPS9, Ultra Low Noise Power Supply for Audio

I’m thinking I do?

Last edited:
Joined 2017
Paid Member
The academy parts have the advantage that they‘re already soldered. (Which could be regarded as a disadvantage, though :) )

Many have successfully built meldano‘s jig (he‘s at version 2 with the next generation muses btw) and there, a very wide band of „power-supplying“ from topnotch PSU down to cannibalising from the main PSU proved to be feasible. Exception: the display‘s current must be totally isolated.

Hi, I have some questions regarding something I want to build.
The plan is to build two ACA in parallen mode with a BA-3 preamp into one encasing. With 3 PSU´s

Two questions.

First can I use this PSU for the BA3
MPM-30-MEAN WELL Switching Power Supply Manufacturer ?

And then the main question. How do I set up the ground?
My plan was to connect the two negativs of the ACA´s meanwell PSU´s together as a ground for the ACA´s . This is ok?

And how do I connect the ground of the BA3?

I would connect it to the ACA´s ground or should I connect it to the main ground? And if so should I then connect the ACA´s ground also to the main ground?

Thanks for the answers.. I live a bit on the newbie site of life :)

So just wondering I started reading this from the beginning and noticed your comments on using R2 to silence the switched resistor volume control. I have another preamp with switched volume and balance control. It produces loud pops when changing volume. How does R2 alleviate this and could I use it on mine maybe.

Hmmm. I did not know that. Guess after all these years I should build one. (as volume control, I need gain!).

Russellc

It's just an attenuator, will not affect gain. It's a challenge if you don't build surface mount devices (think of a cap 1mm long and if you drop it, just get another one because you won't be able to find it). I looked at some YT videos and found it was doable.

Every Pass preamp uses the Muses volume. It’s incredibly good.

Excellent combo!

BA-3 and Muses 72320. BA-3 rails at +-30 Vdc

I also use the Muses for BA2018 LS and it really compliments the linestage.

Attachments

• IMG_2040.jpg
    IMG_2040.jpg
    486.1 KB · Views: 400
  • IMG_1855.jpg
    IMG_1855.jpg
    986 KB · Views: 387
Finally got my BA-3 preamp in a decent case. I used the largest galaxy 2U from the DIYA store, it proved to be a bit of a tight fit, but it worked out well. I had the chance to try it out with my F4 replacing the Doug Self preamp that I had in that service. Good news is that it has that extra bit of gain that I was looking for. Not a big difference sonically though, maybe a bit more ease and naturalness, maybe a bit deeper soundstage. Very good imaging, but the differences are subtle and could due proud parent syndrome for my latest project, or due to the bourbon that I was enjoying. In any event I'll leave it in the system for a while to enjoy.

Attachments

• BA-3 front.jpg
    BA-3 front.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 287
  • BA-3 rear.jpg
    BA-3 rear.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 274