The Art of Electronics 3rd Ed. April 2015

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is there an errata list online somewhere for the third edition?

I think I have found a few (One missing table, one NPN/PNP pair with the same part number for both, and DALI is not the replacement for DMX, that would be ACN, DALI is used by the architectural lighting guys)....

I am loving the chapter on low noise and precision design, that on its own is worth the price of admission.

regards, Dan.

Yes, Dan, we have a complete errata list on our website: Errata | The Art of Electronics 3rd Edition Thankfully, readers wrote in with all the errors they saw. By now the emails have fallen to a trickle, so I guess most have been found. :)

The current printings (5th in the US and 6th in the UK) are largely error free, but you can always double-check on the errata page. The upcoming Kindle edition is being made from the 7th-printing source.

sure, especially if it doesn't use exotic or NLA semis.
:)

I'm always interested in what's not said, such as actually audible in the real world things like:

THD (within reason)
SOA
Zout

The slew rate of sources are for sure bounded and defined in a world that is dominated by digital sources. Usually slew rate distortion is very low until the actual slewing limit is reached, which may never happen.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Thanks Jan, will that be in Vol 11? I need to order the last few vols, having gotten behind.

One of my favorite topics is high-power amplifier slew rates, you know, the thing that gives superior transient response and full power to 150kHz, etc.

My lastest 100W amplifier design is flat from DC to 10MHz, has 1000V/us slewing and delivers full power into 8 ohms to 5MHz. I'm working to push that spec to 10 or 15MHz. Dunno, do you think anybody would be interested in the gory details?

Might have to move it to Vol 12 - already had comissioned two book reviews in Vol 11 before I discovered your 3rd ed (which I have gotten in the mean time).

But of course any audio-related article for Linear Audio is welcome, slew rated or otherwise! :cool:

Jan

Is there an errata list online somewhere for the third edition?

I think I have found a few (One missing table, one NPN/PNP pair with the same part number for both, and DALI is not the replacement for DMX, that would be ACN, DALI is used by the architectural lighting guys)....

Hi Dan. You got our web-page errata link, right? (There's a link there that goes to my email address.)

I'm having trouble finding what you're referring to. Is it the low-noise BJT table 8.1a or 8.1b on the following pages? Can you be more specific so I can hone in on what you've found? (Also, there doesn't seem to be anything along those lines from our earlier feedback.)

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Yes, we've taken a full new look at desirable parts, have organized thousands of them into new tables, and treat many to extensive discussions. The six digital chapters are also completely new, with an emphasis on interconnecting logic, FPGAs, computers and micro-controllers to the real world. There are hundreds of techniques one should know about, and thousands of unique components available to help do the job, and we try to give good coverage to this. But as before, our book is more about analog electronics, because that's where the rubber meets to road, so to speak, the real world. So we spend the first nine chapters on these topics.

This has always been my favorite reference, but as my bedside copy is
looking frayed, I see it's time for a new one.

:cool:

Hi Nelson

This has always been my favorite reference, but as my bedside copy is looking frayed, I see it's time for a new one.

:cool:

Hi Nelson. I see you've got personal email messages turned off. Hey, I can understand that! Nelson, if you haven't yet purchased a copy of our 3rd edition, please let me send you one, signed by Paul and me. Hey, even if you have purchased one, let me send you another copy. Just as a small token of thanks for all you've done for all of us in the DIY community. If you agree, reply with your mailing address. (It may take a while for me to notice, and get the book off to you.)

Dr. Hill, I am a novice and have thought of purchasing your book several times. Unfortunately I find some of the material to be quite heady for me.

I grew up reading Nims: Getting Started in Electronics and learned a bit before shelving electronics for other pursuits. Is the lab manual really like being at university? Is the parts list extensive for a beginner to accumulate? I have been trying to progress my knowledge for over a year using various methods, including online MIT course which moved too fast for me to keep up with! I find that I learn best by experimentation versus reading about Thevenin and Norton :rolleyes:

What would you recommend?

Incidentally, I am really into microcontrollers, but I refuse to use an arduino. I have been banging around with the PIC 10LF320 and learning to code in ASM.

Thanks for your time in advance! :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.