the $5 amp enclosure

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
it's alive;)

Attachments

• mvc-712f.jpg
    mvc-712f.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 266
yes i found out the iron i wanted to use didnt fit:(
the power supply is from u guest it a tape backup lol
it power's the filament:D

the b+ i have it running at 170v

now to finish it off starting with the back

thats it this is what u can do with a switch box;)

i got the grounding right because there is no hum even when
the box is closed:D

so yes it sound's great:cool:

Attachments

• mvc-713f.jpg
    mvc-713f.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 206
i know some people go crazy with DAC's around here (and i wouldnt mind building one), but i wanted to just test what i've got as is. the enclosure has a 12v supply, so power's covered. the cdrom has audio out (4 pins for L\R\Gnd) and digital out (2 pins). either out works. the drive i'm using also has a play/next button on the front, so you can change tracks that way. bare bones, no frills, cd player with parts i had around the house.

sq kid u meen something like this. its maid by skydata it has rca's
and the power supply build in ready to go.

im going to sand the paint off. remove the front and add cherry wood to the face. should be nice for a shelf unit. or match the tube pre amp;)

Attachments

• mvc-730f.jpg
    mvc-730f.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 237
Sun 411 case...

I've used Sun model 411 cases to build a couple of amps. A link to some pictures (not mine) is here:

http://eintr.net/systems/sun/sun411/

It's well built and compact. I managed to stuff dual GC monoblocks into one of them: dual 18v 160 VA Avel Lindberg torroids, OPA 627 buffers, minimized NIGC with PD's recommended components, WBT RCA plugs and Vampyre binding posts. Also a Noble pot for volume and a vandal momentary switch for on/off. I'll try to post a picture or two when I get home.

Picture as promised

Here's a picture of the inside. The transformers are on the left. At the back you can see the cube relay used for on/off. In the center are the MUR860 diodes with a 750 ohm resistor and 0.1uF cap across each to dampen ringing. Underneath them is the on/off toggle circuitry. A 1/4" copper bar acts as heatsink. The GCs use Panasonic FC caps and P2P wiring. On the right you can barely see the OPA 627 buffers showing through. The EI transformer in back powers the on/off circuit, power LED, and cooling fan.

Attachments

• n_inside.jpg
    n_inside.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 182
Now the back...

And here's the back. It took quite a bit of :smash: to get everything in. The fan is needed to keep the amp from :hot: but it's run at 5v so it's nearly inaudible. I also build a version using the Sun model 811 case. It's about twice as tall so there's alot more room inside (and the larger fan is totally silent), but it takes alot more work to clean the inside of the case to make it usable. The 811 does have enough room to allow for two inputs and a bigger copper heat sink.

Attachments

• n_back.jpg
    n_back.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 166
Thanks.

If you think that's good, I'm working on helping a friend build an amp in a 19" rackmount case right now. It will have 5 channels with an active 2 way crossover and will be powering MTMs, each with one amp per driver. Total of 15 amps, 5 active crossovers, 8 EI transformers, 16 bridge rectifiers, two 26,000 uF caps, a soft start circuit, and a VU meter all in one case. The cable management alone is a heroic task. Plus it was done on a budget of under $200.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.