The 15 Song Album collection:

he ODed on buckshot, not drugs.:D

we could add an a "+" died before their time by their own hand or under mysterious circumstances too
icon12.gif

EDIT Lithium is usually used for treating Bipolar Disorder or Manic Depression pretty sure its not widely abused or used recreationally.

Last edited:
* = extra credit if the singer/song writer died of an OD

1. I Get A Kick Out Of You - Nat King Cole
2. The Needle and the Damage Done - Neil Young
3. Toes Across the Floor - Blind Melon
4. Bad - U2
5. White Lines - Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five
6. Love Potion No. 9 - Steve Gibbons Band
7. Kaya - The Wailers
8. Never Been any Reason - Head East
9. The No No Song - Ringo Starr
10. Juanita - Gram Parsons*
11. Feel Good Hit Of The Summer - Queens of the Stone Age

"Nicotine, valium, vicodin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol...C-C-C-C-C-Cocaine!"

4. Bad - U2
7. Kaya - The Wailers
12. Buena - Morphine

I prefer a wide-open theme that gives lots of options, I like to see which ones people choose.

4. Bad - U2
7. Kaya - The Wailers
12. Buena - Morphine
13. Golden Brown - The Stranglers

4. Bad - U2
7. Kaya - The Wailers
12. Buena - Morphine
14. Ship Of Fools - The Doors

4. Bad - U2
7. Kaya - The Wailers
12. Buena - Morphine
14. Ship Of Fools - The Doors
15. Snow - Red Hot Chili Peppers

New list: Songs where the title mentions a Genre

1. I love Rock'n'Roll - Joan Jett & The Blackhearts

Last edited:
You might want to check that out. His death was ruled as caused by seizure brought on by the head trauma he received in a motorcycle accident. The coroner also noted there were not drugs involved.

Hi
You almost had me doubting my memory there Steve.

This is so common for users of street heroin because the purity is all over the stength map. Just a matter of time really ie underestimating the dosage.

quoted from wiki
"Parsons died September 19, 1973 in Joshua Tree, California at the age of 26 from an overdose of morphine and alcohol.[8] According to Fisher in the 2005 biography Grievous Angel: An Intimate Biography of Gram Parsons, the amount of morphine consumed by Parsons would be lethal to three regular users and thus he had likely overestimated his tolerance considering his experience with opiates"
FWIW as for the legend
"The body of rock musician Gram Parsons (lead singer of the Flying Burrito Brothers and one-time member of The Byrds) was stolen from a California airport by a friend, and then burned in the Joshua Tree desert on September 19, 1973. Prior to the cremation, Parsons, 26, had died of a drug overdose at the Joshua Tree Inn, a small hotel."

Last edited:
I guess I was remembering this:

A blood test showed a blood alcohol level of 0.21% -- high, but nowhere near fatal standing alone. No morphine showed in the blood test, though it did turn up in more than trace amounts in urine and liver tests. The urinalysis also revealed traces of cocaine and barbiturates. Since substances may accumulate in the body over a long time, it's unclear from the urine and liver tests whether Parsons used morphine, cocaine or barbiturates that day.

September 19, 1973, while on vacation, Gram died in a motel in Joshua Tree, CA, a hauntingly beautiful part of the Mojave/Sonoran Deserts. The coroner ruled "natural causes." Phil Kaufman stole the body and burned it in the Joshua Tree National Monument, fulfilling a pact that he and Gram had made.

Maybe there was more than one coroners report?

I knew about the body snatch. Recently, a movie called Grand Theft Parsons, staring Johny Knoxville, was made about that little adventure.

Kaufman and Martin arrived at the loading dock just as a flatbed truck rolled up with the Parsons casket. A drunken Kaufman somehow persuaded an airline employee that the Parsons family had changed its plans and wanted to ship the body privately on a chartered flight.
While Kaufman was in the hangar office, signing the paperwork with a phony name, a policeman pulled up, blocking the hangar door. Kaufman was sure his operation would be shut down, but the officer didn't do anything -- he just sat there. So Kaufman walked out to him, waved his copies of the paperwork, and said, "Hey, can you move that car?" The officer apologized, moved the car, and then, remarkably, helped Kaufman load the casket onto a gurney and into the back of the unlicensed, liquor-filled hearse.
Martin, also liquor-filled, got in the hearse and headed out of the hangar, only to run into the wall on his way out. The officer observed all this, and commented ruefully, "I wouldn't want to be in your shoes now." Then he left, and the two drunk bodysnatchers departed the airport with the body of their friend. They stopped at a gas station and filled a gas can with high test ("I didn't want him to ping," Kaufman says.) Then they headed back for Joshua Tree.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
2. (Give Me That) Old Time Rock And Roll - Bob Seger
3. Bell Bottom Blues - Derek & The Dominoes
4. New Swing Jazz - Guardians Of Dalliance
5. Zydeco Gris Gris - Beausoleil
6. Country Honk - Rolling Stones
7. Rock and Roll Never Forgets - Bob Seger (again)

2. (Give Me That) Old Time Rock And Roll - Bob Seger
3. Bell Bottom Blues - Derek & The Dominoes
4. New Swing Jazz - Guardians Of Dalliance
5. Zydeco Gris Gris - Beausoleil
6. Country Honk - Rolling Stones
7. Rock and Roll Never Forgets - Bob Seger (again)
8. Why HipHop Sucks In '96 - DJ Shadow

I guess I was remembering this:

Maybe there was more than one coroners report?

I knew about the body snatch. Recently, a movie called Grand Theft Parsons, staring Johny Knoxville, was made about that little adventure.

Interesting, I'll have to look for that film.
Apparently Kauffman was in charge of making sure Gram didn't take any hard drugs. Kauffman was the only witness to the supposed Gram's verbal burial wishes, maybe there was 2 coroners reports and he was worried about the final ruling. His background was checkered ie reputed to spend time in a SF prison with Charles Manson. Also other Q's were raised, since there was no will the inheriteince was to be decided by the State he was buried/cremated in ie Family (La) vs Ex wife (Ca).
I was wondering more about the motorcycle accident thing.
Where were your quotes taken from?

Last edited: