• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

THAT Driver :: A minimalistic differential driver / preamp with 0.000021 % THD

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks Tom

Don't know what was going through my head regarding any noise on the THAT Receiver inputs. Sorry you had to explain the obvious. I seem to learn so much more building things rather that getting them assembled.

Got the board today. Looks like the THAT 1646 chips are back ordered at Mouser :(

Mike

I finally got the board populated. I had my own +- 15 volt power supply, so didn't populate any of the components on the last page of the instruction document. If anyone else goes this route, I found it much easier to install the terminal block to j5, solder jumpers to d9 and d11, and connect the PS outputs to the j5 terminal block.

My testing didn't go as planned, but perhaps I have misunderstood the 6 db gain of the THAT Driver. I applied a .25 volt sine wave to j1, and expected a .5 volts across pins 1 and 2, and .5 volts across pins 1 and 3 of j2. Instead, I measured .25 volts. I did measure .5 volts across pins 2 and 3 of j2.

Does the 6 db gain refer to the voltage across pins 2 and 3, which are the inverted .25 volt sine waves?

Thanks, Mike

I have finished my build of the THAT driver. I use it between my preamp and mod86. There seems to be a good deal of synergy between the Neurchrome devices. The sound I am experiencing is very clearly greatly improved. I am highly satisfied and would recommend the THAT driver to everyone who are using Mod86 and are currently using it Single ended.

Thanks Tom!

I would attribute the "good deal of synergy" to minimal distortion and noise end-to-end. To borrow a hackneyed audio reviewer phrase -- "veils removed"

Thanks for your comment, I am sure you are right.
I can't stress enough how much of a difference adding the THAT Driver to my system has made. Amazing, I really mean it. Everything is better. Imaging, punch whatever.

Will you be making another batch?

No. The THAT Driver used the LME49710, which has been discontinued by TI for over two years now. It was never a big seller anyway.

I may offer a universal buffer at some point. Maybe in the late spring or over the summer. The idea would be to have a high-end buffer that could replace both the THAT Driver and the THAT Receiver. It would be a fully assembled circuit module; no bare board option. It'd be a stereo board featuring better performance (lower noise) than the THAT boards.

How much would you be willing to pay for such a module? $99? $149? $199?

Whether I'll offer such a module for sale depends a lot on whether I can make the finances work.

Tom

For a fully assembled module, $149 doesn't leave much for me and $99 even less if any at all. I could probably do an SMD-prepopulated option for $99. You'd then have to add connectors and a few other leaded parts.

It all depends on the complexity of the circuit. Can I expect you to provide your own ±15 or ±18 V supply? Or will the universal buffer need to have on-board regulators?

Tom

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.