TH-18 Flat to 35hz! (Xoc1's design)

:D:D:D
How would you stack 6 cabinets?
Or would you use DSP to avoid a narrow bass dispersion field?

It would appear that TundraLTD has got it covered ;)
However it's is surprising that many with big stacks are unaware of:
How to stack and wire cabs and condition the input signal to avoid undesirable propagation,
And how to steer the pattern.

Last edited:
How would you stack 6 cabinets?
Or would you use DSP to avoid a narrow bass dispersion field?
If you do not want to narrow the horizontal dispersion, two wide and three tall mouths together works well, and minimizes lobing.

A vertical stack of six would narrow vertical dispersion and have wider horizontal dispersion than the 2x3, but not as much forward gain.

If the subs are placed evenly across the front of stage, delay of outer compared to inner cabinets could be used to reduce the horizontal narrowing effect of the horizontal line.

Last edited:
i vote fore endfire aray.:D
6 do some serius damage.
i gues it al depends where you are playing.
if you got a reverbend ceiling,stack em vertical.
if the walls reflect much or outside maybe endfire.
but in general weltersys first option works well in most cases.

As outlined above the horn fold is set out and then adjusted in the CAD model to optimise it. In fact I have almost given up on modelling up a speaker from scratch in Hornresp. Instead I now prefer to lay out a basic sketch model of the horn, and unfolded speaker and adjust it to shape. The unfolded sketch is used to create a Hornresp Sim. The horn wizard is then utilised to see which way the shape of the horn can be modified to improve the performance. The modified sim can then be used to help reshape the fold.
The CAD model can be easily copied and modified, so once a folding scheme is set out the work can be reused for another speaker design.
The original design omitted 3 of the internal reflectors.
These were added at Djims suggestion. The addition of the 3 reflectors shortened the path length slightly. The reflector lengths are optimised, but the overall folding was left as the original. The largest error in the horn taper widths introduced by the extra reflectors was 0.8mm, so I left the fold as it was.
At this point it might be good to mention that I made an error in my previous drawings :eek:the exit mouth internal dimension is 508 not 526. (Adjust S4 from 2814.1 to 2717.8)
Fortunately the effect on the sim is very minimal.

Wow! You've put some serious thought into this.

Hi guys. What are you thinking about this ?
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Driver is rcf lf18g401.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

And in real life

I was not inspired by this project, this is my own. I started this in 2011 january, and in june i finish. Only when these boxes was done i found this thread! Anyway i am very happy how they sound, especially with the low bass! Outer dimensisons are close to TH-115.

Tell us more!

Hi guys. What are you thinking about this ?

Driver is rcf lf18g401.

I was not inspired by this project, this is my own. I started this in 2011 january, and in june i finish. Only when these boxes was done i found this thread! Anyway i am very happy how they sound, especially with the low bass! Outer dimensisons are close to TH-115.
I like what you have acheived :)
Did you add any bracing or reflectors not shown in your CAD model?
A quick, easy, light, economical, version build, could be ideal for people who are not looking to use Multi KW drivers and amplifiers. Something between the TH18 and the SS15.:cool:
Have you any more information / comments on the performance of your TH and how you use them?
What crossover frequencies are you happy with for instance?

A grille would be a good idea - as the horn exit mouth is definitely the weakest part of the speaker. Look back at post 6......
A grille is also good at stopping party people from trying to hide beer inside your speaker:D

Last edited:
Trimmed and sanded the second one. laid some paint down on the first. still didn't do the mouth bracing or grill....

photo3cg.jpg

these things are big and taking up my workspace! lol

I like what you have acheived
Did you add any bracing or reflectors not shown in your CAD model?
A quick, easy, light, economical, version build, could be ideal for people who are not looking to use Multi KW drivers and amplifiers. Something between the TH18 and the SS15.
broken.png

Have you any more information / comments on the performance of your TH and how you use them?
What crossover frequencies are you happy with for instance?

I am planing to use them for some parties and primary for home. I was surprised, how good they sound outdoors compared with my room. First few hours they sounded weak, but now i am very happy.

This was the first test. I am using QSC GX5 amplifier for subs and KENWOOD KA 990-V for tops - JBL JRX115. Mixer is Behringer DDM4000 with internal variable crossover, i am using 120-130hz filter.Soundcard is xone 2d. Definitely they sound better when coupled.

Afterparty .Here something was wrong with one of the qsc amp. output chanell and i connect both subs paralel. It was impressive with only 700w.

So I have been super busy and had no time to even test both of these together. Finally got a new computer, set up system architect, configured the amps and set these bad boys up. I was listening to them in a small room, but so far so good! Clean and loud bass, they are barely broken in yet and I have no doubt they will warm up a little once they have a few hours on them.
Now I need to convince some of my friends to throw a pool party and set these up and let em rip!