Testing baffle edge treatments for tweeter diffraction.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
And here quick and dirty Edge sims of flat baffles with different shapes,
baffle 1 vs baffle 4 at 0, 15 and 30deg horizontally

This sim shows the effect of baffle dimensions, not edge treatment!

Attachments

• baffle1 0 15 30 edge.png
    baffle1 0 15 30 edge.png
    28.2 KB · Views: 233
  • baffle4 0 15 30 edge.png
    baffle4 0 15 30 edge.png
    25.3 KB · Views: 225
My experiment: mount tweeter at end of a round pipe. Out of doors. No waves will be coming from the back. Just a single dimension (size of pipe) to consider. THEN repeat by mounting on end of a pipe of different diameter. Any changes in the plots should be depend only on the diameter of the pipe.

B.

Dipole is about interference (nulling/summing),sort of diffraction in a way yes. Semantics... any dipole above it's dipole nulling F, will show edge diffractions. But then the response is not dipolic any more...

Dipolplus - Alles über offene Schallwände

In real world the maximum dipole radiation pattern is around 6-8kHz. Smallest planar tweeters have rather wide "baffle" and double domes will have some separation distance between acoustic centers. Good discussion with tests in the thread I linked in post #43

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Yes, impossible to make it small enough as Juhazi says, no better than naked tweeter?
You can't be talking about reducing the dipole moment for these high frequencies, the null isn't the issue, is it? The diffraction itself though I wouldn't agree a naked tweeter would be best. It would involve dissipating front and back independently, preferably before reaching the side as the opportunity is reducing.

I tried a similar empirical approach and measured the results almost 35 years ago. I found that the greatest method to minimize edge diffraction effect and improve imaging in a box with a flat soundboard was to NEVER place the driver equidistant to any of any two adjacent sides. In other words, placing the driver off center and at an odd multiple distance from the top of the faceplate works to minimize diffraction. Edge shape had little (negligible) effect until you approached a sphere which is by far the best solution. Use a mirror image for the faceplate of other channel.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.