Test CD for CD player adjustment

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hi, I use Philips "SBC 444A PLAYABILITY" test C.D. it's quite good for checking servo operation with various disc defects. If I could figure out how to get images to attach to a message I could post a pic of disc. Anyone ? I click "browse" and find image O.K. but it never shows in message or preview.
Regards Karl

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Karl,
Your disc is probably fine for adjusting the disc. So go ahead and use it. Defect discs are required as well. Pierre Verany was excellent.

Hi Salar,
I use a Dremel to cut the shaft. I power the motor through a resistor to make it spin (not too fast) and hold the Dremel running in one spot. This makes very nice, even cuts. Left the motor running and face the shaft, the make a rounded bevel on the tip. This works very well and doesn't take that long to do once you figure it out. Sometimes I have made them that look identicle to the commercial motors the correct length. More often than not, it's acceptable but not perfect. That is fine. The only thing to watch is that you take your time so the motor bearing is not overheated.

-Chris

Disabled Account
Joined 2005
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Paul,
This one "32-17450" looks to be the one you might want. This might be the closest thing to Pierre Verany. You do not need a pile of audio test tones. One 0 dB track at 500 Hz or so is all the audio you would need. The other disc might be useful if you had to check EQ to to if the de-emphasis circuit switched in and out properly. Never needed that part.

the Vernay disc only seem to be available used at a hefty price premium (US$75+).
I was paying about $50 USD around 13 years ago for these. My techs destroyed them with regularity. In that light, $75 USD seems to be reasonable these days. Thank goodness I don't have employees anymore!

Keep in mind that Pierre Verany is a two disc set. One with a variety of tones, sweeps and music. The other disc is a constant tone with a large variety of defects recorded. This even includes decreasing HF level and many others. I think it's worth it.

Where did you see P.V.?

-Chris

Disabled Account
Joined 2005
Hi Chris,

saw the PV discs listed via amazon. not sure I'd be happy spending $75 on a used set of discs. The 32-17450 cd does appear to be the way to go from the description. It would be interesting to see if it's very different from the CD-Check disc?

cheers
Paul

Disabled Account
Joined 2005
Hi Chris

I'll post when I get hold of the disc. might be a few weeks down the track.

I'm also wondering what quality of sine wave generator I would need to do the setup procedure described in the T1 manual extract I attached a few posts back? Is a function generator which specs 2% distortion any use or do I need to get hold of a decent low distortion audio generator?

cheers
Paul

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Paul,
I'm pretty sure a function generator will work. I always used the oscillator I had on the bench (Leader LAG-120B) for that. These days I have better and would use them. It would have been wonderful to have the HP 3336B or 3324A I currently use. Just type in the frequency and amplitude. It was a pain "dialing in" the generator. You may find some function generators a bit sensitive to use. As an alternative, a program running your sound card might be exactly what you need. It's possible you might need a small buffer amp with some gain with the sound card.

-Chris

Looks like I found a motor for my Nak with the correct shaft lenght.
I already got my tracking gain adjustment into ballpark I guess - but because I´ll have to open the Nak anyway, I am curious:
I would need a 1khz, 300 mV Audio signal with an output impedance of 220 ohms to adjust tracking gain.
How could I achieve this with my Esi Juli@soundcard, which has the line level of max. - I guess - and needs an impedance of 100 ohms minimum?

The standard procedure is attached - not as well described as manufacturers like Revox or Teac did...
All the best,
Salar

Attachments

• trackinggain.pdf
    33.6 KB · Views: 379
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Salar,
The impedance in the first case is supposed to be 220 K ohms. I used a 220 K ohm resistor in series with my oscillator. This is quite common actually, most test jigs insert resistance in series with the oscillator. This is so you can inject a signal without loading down the normal signal of the circuit.

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Close up of the PHILIPS SBC444A Playability Disc. The dark rectangle isn't clear in picture but is a "simulated finger print" and is a grid of fine horizontal lines. The light wedge is "interuption in information layer. and consists of 7 tracks ranging from 400 to 1000 micrometer in size. Black dots are 300,500,600,800 micrometer in size. Any player should be able to play the 400m/m interuption, the 300m/m dot and the simulated finger print. My Micromega with a CDM12.4/05 will play all with no audible errors, but you can hear the servo working overtime on the more severe tests. So here it is, and a big thanks to Anatech who helped to get it here.
Regards Karl

Attachments

• img079.jpg
    img079.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 1,106
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Karl,
That disc then replaces Philips 5A. They copied PV's idea as they used to simply print the defects on top of the CD in ink. That looks like a good test disc.

How much was it and where did you get it? It would be nice to have some options. My test discs are very old now (but still good).

Hey Paul,
Sorry, I forgot to answer your question.
So a simple buffer with a pot adjust the gain would do the trick?
Yes, that should be fine.

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Karl,
That is exactly the defects used on 5A. The original 5A disc cost me $250 CDN, disc #5 was $200 CDN. I had no choice back then. :redhot: Your 150 pounds sounds about right. They haven't changed at all.

Thank you for posting that information.

-Chris

Edit: Here are all teh test discs Philips offers : "Click here for Philips test CDs"
I see they still make the glass adjustment CD's available. :rolleyes: