Tesla Cybertruck?

So, while Elon may need to rehearse his reveals - especially the “ one more thing” ( does Apple have a patent on that buried somewhere:D ?), any thoughts on the impact of this prototype?
Could be some very interesting developments coming soon in battery technology that will dramatically improve cost/driving range equation, particularly on larger commercial vehicles.

Joined 2011
any thoughts on the impact of this prototype? Could be some very interesting developments coming soon in battery technology that will dramatically improve cost/driving range equation, particularly on larger commercial vehicles.

Pulling the F-150 (which was trying to go the other way) rapidly up a hill was amusing. Once ICE truck diehards
get a chance to try the low end torque on an electric truck, they'll change their minds fast.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
It is going to be hard to throw stuff over the side into the box.

And re the angualr styling, very simialr to the delores. Anyone know if the design is somewhat dictated by the stainless steel.

And what happens if you get shot with a 45?

In the time-frame this ships we should see 4 or 5 more EV trucks.

dave

I don’t know much about EV’s but my worry is about the batteries. I don’t think there’s enough experience with this yet and there are going to be some consequences in trying to stock the planet with the current technology.

If these trucks are indestructible, they’ll be turning up in ram-raids, hijacks and mom’s taking kids to school.

When Tesla introduced their electric car the big three Ford GM and Chrysler laughed at them. Especially Ford who’s put all the eggs in one basket dropping their passenger vehicles and all their profits come from pick up trucks. I’m a fourth generation mechanic and have a Tesla three my wife drives I never want gas again. Now the big three are SH!¥¥!NG their pants especially Ford. There twice as quick. More than twice the towing capacity. If they can actually make that clean to 600+ miles one and a half times the mileage per recharge than a gas vehicle can possibly hold against any of their trucks. Panels that are extremely difficult to Bent windows that are difficult to break in an Apple iPad counsel with jet plane fighter steering. If I still lived in the country I would be the first want to buy one and if I just wanted to have the baddest toy in town and lived in the city I would buy one. And there’s so much easier to work on than a gasoline powered vehicle and cleaner you don’t get oil stains all over your hands in under your fingernails no oil drips in your driveway.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention they’re actually made an America unlike most of the big three vehicles are made in Mexico and Canada only a small percentage of a few lines are actually made truly in America with the majority of the parts coming from foreign countries.

Anyone know if the design is somewhat dictated by the stainless steel.

The use of stainless steel will make the thing substantially more expensive to produce.

This not because it is more expensive a material but because it work-hardens and so makes the press tools (and dies) wear out much faster.
Fewer shapes = lower tool cost.

Some time ago I came across an assessment by an engineer who said that Tesla could make their cars cheaper, not better but cheaper and faster, had they had a good production engineer with experience in the car industry in the team.