Terry Cain's Abby and the Fostex 166esr

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Yes. Well mostly. All of the pre-EnABL tweaks, + at least a coat of gloss on the dustcap but the special EnABL spots on the dustcap help suppress the primary dust cap resonance.

The shape of the pattern suggestted for the dustcap is best seen in these FF85wk in the bottom left image.

FF85wKeN-copper-w-orange.jpg

The other steps are to put 2 coats of ZIG 2-way glue on the surround/cone interface on the backside, a thin coat of (slightly) thinned Mod-Podge/Puzzlekoat (PVA that dries flexy). Ductseal to shape the basket/magnet air flow (and damp the entire structure).

If you want to try EnABLing the driver you are 108 + 2 x 72 spots away (per driver) and a coat of gloss. I don’t know wha a koat of gloss would do with no spots underneath.

dave

Hi NAZ thanks for getting back , the oval port I cut is considerably larger , 7 3/8 inches wide , 1 1/2 inches on each end 2 1/4 inches in the center , 4 inches up from bottom of cabinet to center of oval, did not round it off as much as maybe should be. With the FF 165 WK I’m getting very good bass and not even fully broken in yet, with no stuffing in the port. All this was done on a picture of a regular Abby and the size of my cabinet 10x10 inches at bottom to 10x0 inches at the peak 72 1/4 inches, driver, and donut on the slanted side, back screwed only… thanks again NAZ

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Mario,

I am no longer doing EnABLing. Poor sight due to optic nerve damage during my 10.5 hr lifesaving surgery.

Those EnABLed drivers you have are now collectors items.

I will assit as much as i can to help anyone who wants to diy, and with drivers such as the FFxx5wk, do advise at least the simpliest nonEnABL tweaks.

dave

My front panel measures a little over 5/8" and is solid wood, think it's 4-5 boards joint vertically for whole length of cabinet. The back of the cabinet is just mdf and sides are made in similar way to the front of the cabinet. The bottom of the cabinet comes a right off with a few screws so I can better internal dimensions as well.

Thanks NAZ , you hear different things about how the abby’s were built . Once again Bob Berner did a bang up job with the cutting of the wood for the Abbys . Don’t know how much an inch/ mm or less makes on the final build ,( I guess we are not splitting the atom here) ! And also thank you Dave for selecting the right driver fostex FF165WK , very happy with the results , thanks again!!!!!