• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

TEMCo motor run caps out of stock. Other options?

Any of the caps mentioned here will work electrically. I got some big caps several years ago on Ebay and they do have an ugly bolt thread mounting stud sticking out of the end opposite the terminals. Attempting to cut it off did not go well. The cap passes very little AC current in amplifier use, so it generates virtually no heat on its own. The relatively shiny can reflects much of the radiant IR heat from the tubes, so there is usually no need to paint it unless you want to. The can should be grounded as some residual charge can build up on the can if left floating. I often use these across the output of my old Fluke bench supply to improve its ability to put up with my abuse. An ungrounded can will give you a noticeable shock even if the bench has been turned off for a day or so.