Teenage Wall Speaker 50$

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is the best so far I could come up with designing Teen2020.

Attachments

• box.PNG
    box.PNG
    35.2 KB · Views: 117
  • phaseresp.PNG
    phaseresp.PNG
    110.5 KB · Views: 30
  • maxspl.PNG
    maxspl.PNG
    144.3 KB · Views: 29
  • freqrespdir.PNG
    freqrespdir.PNG
    145.8 KB · Views: 33
  • freqresp.PNG
    freqresp.PNG
    90.9 KB · Views: 31
  • driver_w.PNG
    driver_w.PNG
    100.3 KB · Views: 27
  • driver_sc.PNG
    driver_sc.PNG
    96.6 KB · Views: 111
  • directivityplots.PNG
    directivityplots.PNG
    134.5 KB · Views: 113
  • directivity.PNG
    directivity.PNG
    87.8 KB · Views: 116
  • crossover.PNG
    crossover.PNG
    39 KB · Views: 118
Erkki1 gave me the crossover electrical plan and suggestion was crossover @2200Hz, but didn't have the box optimimized to it. I learned how to do it and the crossover sets to @1720Hz. Some of component values was pretty close to what shop has to offer. I also tried to keep it simple because variance of the component actual values. I ended up crossover @1747Hz.

Ok, just make sure that the tweeter can go as low as you specified in the crossover. I suggest you use erkkis crossover, 2200 hz sounds better imho.

Boxsim has quite frequently a tendency to move crossover frequecy lower than is good for the tweeter. But the algorithm is propably just optimizing the frequency response. If you want to keep crossover frequency at certain area, you should set some components to a fixed value (= not included in optmization). But, it is an iterative process anyhow.
Afterwards it would be interesting to see how the simulation compares to measured frequency responses and polar patterns.

BoxSim actually uses the boxes size. Latest graphs have this correct. Crossover @1737Hz

Attachments

• phaseresp.PNG
    phaseresp.PNG
    110 KB · Views: 20
  • maxspl.PNG
    maxspl.PNG
    144.5 KB · Views: 25
  • freqrespdir.PNG
    freqrespdir.PNG
    144.4 KB · Views: 27
  • freqresp.PNG
    freqresp.PNG
    105.2 KB · Views: 24
  • driver_w.PNG
    driver_w.PNG
    99.5 KB · Views: 19
  • driver_sc.PNG
    driver_sc.PNG
    96.7 KB · Views: 22
  • directivityplots.PNG
    directivityplots.PNG
    134.2 KB · Views: 19
  • directivity.PNG
    directivity.PNG
    88.3 KB · Views: 23
  • crossover.PNG
    crossover.PNG
    37.5 KB · Views: 20
  • box.PNG
    box.PNG
    36.3 KB · Views: 40
I am currently working on rising the crossover (a) 1737 -> (b) 2170Hz. Frequency Response Direction with 2170Hz behaves differently. There "V"'s don't line up. Does it cause concern?

Attachments

• freqrespdir_a.PNG
    freqrespdir_a.PNG
    144.4 KB · Views: 27
  • freqrespdir_b.PNG
    freqrespdir_b.PNG
    144.1 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Original Teen Wall Speaker

Bassdrivers: Nokia Harman LPT 145/25/100FS

Measured parameters:
89.8dB
Re 6.0
Fs 64
Qts .48
Qes .6
Qms 2.3
Le .87
Mms 5.9g
Vas .38 cu.ft. = 10.8ltr

Outer dimension: 145mm
Installation hole: 116mm

Tweeter: Nokia Harman LPKH 50/10/100 SKF

Impedance: 8ohm

Outer dimension 51mm x 51mm
Installation hole 43mm

Some checking with WinISD

Attachments

• imppahse.PNG
    imppahse.PNG
    61.8 KB · Views: 24
  • impedance.PNG
    impedance.PNG
    61.9 KB · Views: 26
  • coneexc.PNG
    coneexc.PNG
    60.3 KB · Views: 27
  • spl.PNG
    spl.PNG
    62.8 KB · Views: 23
  • groupdelay.PNG
    groupdelay.PNG
    59.4 KB · Views: 21
  • transfuncphase.PNG
    transfuncphase.PNG
    61.5 KB · Views: 138
  • transfuncmag.PNG
    transfuncmag.PNG
    59.4 KB · Views: 134
  • vents.PNG
    vents.PNG
    7.8 KB · Views: 141
  • box.PNG
    box.PNG
    7.3 KB · Views: 140
  • driver.PNG
    driver.PNG
    12.9 KB · Views: 144
Support structure takes up some space so actually volume is 31,5L

Attachments

• coneexc.PNG
    coneexc.PNG
    60.4 KB · Views: 23
  • impedance.PNG
    impedance.PNG
    61.8 KB · Views: 20
  • imppahse.PNG
    imppahse.PNG
    61.3 KB · Views: 25
  • signal.PNG
    signal.PNG
    7.7 KB · Views: 22
  • spl.PNG
    spl.PNG
    59.8 KB · Views: 25
  • groupdelay.PNG
    groupdelay.PNG
    59.3 KB · Views: 26
  • transfuncphase.PNG
    transfuncphase.PNG
    61 KB · Views: 22
  • vents.PNG
    vents.PNG
    7.6 KB · Views: 21
  • box.PNG
    box.PNG
    6.3 KB · Views: 21
  • driver.PNG
    driver.PNG
    12.9 KB · Views: 23
The Original Teen Wall Speaker DIY kit was meant to placed at wall. I am thinking about something that is placed 10cm at front wall.

Outside HxWxD
1220*200*216
Inside HxWxD
1196*176*192=40,4L

Chebyshev tuned
Bass reflex tuning frequency Fb=53,7Hz
Bass reflex port 6,1cm long and 5cm diameter
Number of ports 2pcs
Ports face backwards

Probably doesn´t go low as original but gets more power at 50Hz

Attachments

• pic1.PNG
    pic1.PNG
    185.8 KB · Views: 30
  • pic2.PNG
    pic2.PNG
    242.6 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

Glossary

A loudspeaker is said to be in “free-field” when it is placed in a space where there are no reflections or boundaries to restrict the sound radiation. These conditions can be found high in the sky (not so practical for listening or measurements) and in anechoic chambers. In practice, a loudspeaker placed on a stand far way from a room’s walls can be considered to be in free space.

A loudspeaker is said to be in “half-space” when it is placed next to a large solid surface such as a wall or on the floor. The surface (acoustical boundary) limits the sound radiation to half of what it is in the free field. This has the effect of boosting the frequencies that are radiated omni-directionally, i.e. the low frequencies. The amount of boost depends on the solidity of the surface (theoretically 6 dB, in practice about 4 dB), and the frequency range depends on the size of the loudspeaker. This can be corrected with a suitably shaped filter, called “Bass” on Neumann loudspeakers. In practice, half-space is experienced when a loudspeaker is placed next to wall or flush mounted into a wall.

Similarly, a loudspeaker is said to be in “quarter-space” when it is placed next to two large solid surfaces such as a wall and a floor, or a front wall and a side wall. The surfaces limit the sound radiation to quarter of what it was in free-space. This has the effect of boosting the low frequencies twice as much as seen in half-space. This can be corrected with a suitably shaped filter (“Bass” and possible some “Mid” too), or in the case of subwoofers, attenuating the output.

“One-eighth space” is seen in the corner of rooms, and a very large boost is seen at low frequencies. This is a good location for subwoofers as the entire passband is boosted. This can be corrected by simply attenuating the output. For the same reason, loudspeakers generally sound very bassy in corners and so it is positioning that is not recommended for critical listening.”

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.