TEAC VRDS T1 CD Transport

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: TEAC VRDS T1

hifiboy said:
Hi,

the display shows 4 zeros when I insert a disc. The fact that it does not show an error, indicates probably that the laser is working but perhaps not properly. I have the impression that the transport recognizes that a CD is inserted and can read something...? Otherwise it would show an error, wouldn't it?
The other question is: could it be that the laser pickup needs to be adjusted?
Concerning the change of the laser pickup: Is t possible to change the laser pickup without adjusting the optical lens etc? Is it a job simple enough to do it by myself? What pickup do I need, what is roughly the price, where can I buy it? Has anyone the service manual in electronic form?

Cheers,
Hifiboy

Hi

I do not have schematics, but if someone can indicate where to measure the RF signal, then you are sure abouit changing pickup or not.

All the other stuff is guesswork and will cost money and yield nothing......

In the VRDS10 the RF can be measured at connector TP1, pin 5 (signal) and 6 (ground). It looks similar to the lower trace on the attached picture.

I just had a quick look in my T1 and see a similar connector TP1

go ahead !

cheers

Attachments

• efm.jpg
    efm.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 1,194
TEAC T1

I switched on the CD transport yesterday in the dark and it seemed to me that the laser is still working. It emits shortly a red light when switching the transport on. So probably ELSO is right..?
Many thanks to Audiofanatic. I will certainly come back to your offer! In the meantime I will try to have a look at it and try to fix it with your nice recommendations!!! So I can learn a bit! Unfortunately, I cannot get the service manual from this CD transport. Do you know where to find or acquire one?

cheers,
hifiboy

Re: TEAC T1

hifiboy said:
I switched on the CD transport yesterday in the dark and it seemed to me that the laser is still working. It emits shortly a red light when switching the transport on. So probably ELSO is right..?
Many thanks to Audiofanatic. I will certainly come back to your offer! In the meantime I will try to have a look at it and try to fix it with your nice recommendations!!! So I can learn a bit! Unfortunately, I cannot get the service manual from this CD transport. Do you know where to find or acquire one?

cheers,
hifiboy

keep guessing, it will lead you to nowhere (remember, assumption is the mother of all ****ups)

I buy service manuals at

www.doknet.nl

http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/cdfaq.htm

regards

Laser assy. still available??

Hello,

I was wondering if the laser assy. is still available for the T1 transports? I understand that there is more than one type? If so, how does one determine which unit they have?

Also, what benifits would reclocking have on this transport and which type is the better unit to go with?

Sorry if I am re-hashing all this but I have never reclocked a transport before!

Thanks in advance!!

Laser unit T1

Hi Sonicbath,

The Laser unit for the T1 Transport is still available.
If you buy it from your local TEAC service shop, you'll get the right one.

For ReClocking, ask the experts on the forum, Elso, Guido, Jocko, Pedja. I just use the one I'm comfortable with and sounds best to my ears.

Both Clocks are great! KC-7 and Tent clock.

Best regards,

Audiofanatic ;)

TEAC VRDS Transport

Hi,

in fact I managed to get the transport running once again. It was a simple failure in the transmission of the laser signal to the mother board. Unfortunately the mechanics and the building quality of the TEAC are not representative for the price class it was sold! The line was broken, because it is mechanically stressed every time you are playing a CD. Thanks for your advices, they are really helpful!

Hifiboy

TEAC VRDS T1

Hi Audiofanatic,

unfortunately the player still is not working correctly. It seems that there is another failure. After working alright for several weeks, the same behaviour appears once again. This time, when inserting the CD, the laser goes to the place to read the contents of the CD but the disc does not start to spin. I already checked if there is a loose contact by just touching the cables to the transport. Sometimes it starts spinning alright, but next time there is nothing. So my question is do you know how the CD player recognizes that there is a CD inserted? Is there an optical sensor somewhere? I observed that the disc does not start to spin if there is no CD inserted. Tahnks in advance for your answer!

Best regards,

Hifiboy

hifiboy said:
Hi Audiofanatic,

unfortunately the player still is not working correctly. It seems that there is another failure. After working alright for several weeks, the same behaviour appears once again. This time, when inserting the CD, the laser goes to the place to read the contents of the CD but the disc does not start to spin. I already checked if there is a loose contact by just touching the cables to the transport. Sometimes it starts spinning alright, but next time there is nothing. So my question is do you know how the CD player recognizes that there is a CD inserted? Is there an optical sensor somewhere? I observed that the disc does not start to spin if there is no CD inserted. Tahnks in advance for your answer!

Best regards,

Hifiboy

Hi Hifiboy,
The disc only starts to spin after focus is found by the laser in Japanese players. Once the FOK signal is obtained the disc starts spinning. You could also have a loose contact in the tracking or focuscoils in the laser. Or just a rotten laser. You can measure the DC resistance of the coils after you have found which leads are connected to these.
:cool:

hifiboy said:
Hi Audiofanatic,

where can I acquire the laser unit? And which one? You spoke of 3 different KSS240A types....

Hifiboy

Hi Hifiboy,

Just send me the serial No. of your unit, and I'll do my best to help you get the right one ;)

Elso,

You'r not the only one that loves snail mail, I love them too.
When can I expect mine???? :) ;) :D
(EDIT) BTW. Nice avatar Pall, I like Kermit.

Best regards,

The Audiofanatic ;)

TEAC VRDS T1

Hi Audiofanatic and Elso,

the serial number is 90249. On the KSS240 A unit there is another number which may be helpful for you: KSS240A 25Y44K620. Thanks very much! I will try to replace the laser unit. It`s really awful if you have to try half an hour until the transport plays the CD..!!

Hifiboy

Teac VRDS T1

Hi Aufiofanatic,

thank you very much!! The serial number as it is written on the sticker on the backside of the player is 90249. Is there anything special to pay attention when changing the laser on the T1?
You actually spoke as well that a laser failure in the T1 unit is fairly common according to your experience. Could it be because there is a mechanical stress (a hit due to the release of the anti vibrating disc) each time a CD is inserted in the player?
Best regards,

Hifiboy

Laser unit T1

Hifiboy,

The TEAC service dep. called me a few minutes ago to tell me that they have the laserunit and the price is EURO 58, something.
VAT and shipping are not included, in other words, you must pay for the shipping and VAT and that will be lets say 75.= euro and than I have to ship it to you.

Let me know what to do.

BTW, I'm not making anny proffit on this it's just my way of helping you.

Audiofanatic ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.