TDA1541a S2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Coulomb said:
Elib, how much did you want for those TDA15241A S2?

Anthony

Hi Anthony, the price has been posted here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=236099#post236099

Thank you Johnny!

To those may interested in s2's:

i have sold quite a number of these chips, and havent received any feedbacks of suspicion. i know there may some fake 1541's around, and i do have seen fake s1's, but never s2's. as we have seen that s1's are selected after the logo and 'tda1541a' have been printed on the chips, then add on the 's1' and crown. it's quite easy to add these marks to the normal version, so there are quite some fake s1's.
but for s2, the logo and double crown are marked the same time, so the same color. to remark a normal version to s2 one has to wipe out the original prints first. that's not easy! when one wipe the chips there must be some difference between the wiped surface to the other side (the down side). i have some remarked chips at hand (not 1541's), i can check the difference easily.
all those got my chips can check carefully to see if the two sides look the same, same color, same gloss.
Wang

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
as we have seen that s1's are selected after the logo and 'tda1541a' have been printed on the chips, then add on the 's1' and crown. it's quite easy to add these marks to the normal version, so there are quite some fake s1's.

On the contrary !

All original S1's have the crown printed in a slightly different color because they were selected and printed afterwards. So finding an S1 with all markings in the same shape and color is suspicious.
I have all original S1's new and used and not a single one has the markings in the same color. They are all from 1988/89/90.

In fact production quality was so good that later a great percentage of the chips reached S1 qualification. This was around 1989.

S2 AFAIK is the only one that has all printed on it at the same time and bears the Taiwan logo too. From what I've heard ( so don't believe it ! ) they were produced in a rerun for Marantz CD 7 ( which has 4 of them ). That explains the very late datecode of 1997. Production of TDA1541A stopped *years* earlier.

to remark a normal version to s2 one has to wipe out the original prints first. that's not easy! when one wipe the chips there must be some difference between the wiped surface to the other side (the down side).

Normal TDA1541A costs around 3 Euro/$ a piece, S2 costs 75 Euro/$ a piece. So rebranding is high revenue for a forger, especially in China. A chinese collegue told me recently that even fake eggs and vegetables are sold in China :nod: Production price is so low that making fake eggs is cheaper than real eggs.

When I look at fake 2SA1302 I wouldn't think that someone would take the energy/cost making a fake transistor but obviously someone does. Rebranded AMD CPU's, and so on and so on.

I would like to order 2 samples from you to see them and test them. Of course I'll pay the samples. I sent you a mail about this.

jean-paul said:

On the contrary !

All original S1's have the crown printed in a slightly different color because they were selected and printed afterwards. So finding an S1 with all markings in the same shape and color is suspicious.
I have all original S1's new and used and not a single one has the markings in the same color. They are all from 1988/89/90.

In fact production quality was so good that later a great percentage of the chips reached S1 qualification. This was around 1989.

S2 AFAIK is the only one that has all printed on it at the same time and bears the Taiwan logo too. From what I've heard ( so don't believe it ! ) they were produced in a rerun for Marantz CD 7 ( which has 4 of them ). That explains the very late datecode of 1997. Production of TDA1541A stopped *years* earlier.

Normal TDA1541A costs around 3 Euro/$ a piece, S2 costs 75 Euro/$ a piece. So rebranding is high revenue for a forger, especially in China. A chinese collegue told me recently that even fake eggs and vegetables are sold in China :nod: Production price is so low that making fake eggs is cheaper than real eggs.

When I look at fake 2SA1302 I wouldn't think that someone would take the energy/cost making a fake transistor but obviously someone does. Rebranded AMD CPU's, and so on and so on.

I would like to order 2 samples from you to see them and test them. Of course I'll pay the samples. I sent you a mail about this.

What sort of test gear do you have and what is resolution.

I have access to AP series 1 which has residual of around
0.0004% to 0.0006% depending on setting. This should
be enough to weed out an S1 or S2.

I recently tested an S1 in a Marantz DA12 dac -> OPA627.
Measured 0.002% THD @ 0dBFS. The LPF makes a fair
bit of difference but AP has 22k 5th order built in so
only really need the dig filter for good measurements.

Maybe worth building a circuit up and testing a bunch of
std TDA1541A's and see what the variation is.
I wonder how many S2's could be gotten from 100 x std
1541A's ??

75 bucks will buy quite a few TDA1541A's!

Cheers,

Terry

Hi there,
one more pic. that's all from me about the genuineness of my S2's.
Thanks to those trusting me.

Attachments

• s2case.jpg
    s2case.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 1,565
elib said:
Hi there,
one more pic. that's all from me about the genuineness of my S2's.
Thanks to those trusting me.

Hi Elib,

From the feedback here, I'm sure everyone trusts you,
myself included. As stated, we found your 'S2' to sound
superior to the standard 1541A.

Unfortunately I couldn't measure the TDA1541A/S2 that you
sent as it was in a 0 x OS DAC, this will not measure well.
This is no reflection on the DAC chip at all, just the lack of
digital filter :)

As a matter of interest, we found one guy withh std 1541A
in 0 x OS dac that sounds as good as S2 where as others were
not close . So there appears to be quite a range in the quality of
std TDA1541A's. ;)

I am trying to get some time to put together
a simple test bed for 1541A + DF1704 + OPA627 just to see
what the range is, however I still want to get some more 'S2's
from you. Will email you shortly.

Cheers,

Terry

Hello all:

I got a S2 from Elib last week. Tried it in two
diffrent decks B226 non/os and B266S stock/upgraded.
Sound is very close to S1's yet different. Not to bore you
all just to say tighter bass and smoother top end.

Chip sure seem's to be the 'real deal'.

But I know for sure Elib is the Real Deal,
very courteous and quick in delivery.

Have a AP/s1 here at work and should try and
measure but would rather listen.

Will get another soon, (if there are any left)
and save the s1's for spares.

Tom

P-47 said:
Hello all:

I got a S2 from Elib last week. Tried it in two
diffrent decks B226 non/os and B266S stock/upgraded.
Sound is very close to S1's yet different. Not to bore you
all just to say tighter bass and smoother top end.

Chip sure seem's to be the 'real deal'.

But I know for sure Elib is the Real Deal,
very courteous and quick in delivery.

Have a AP/s1 here at work and should try and
measure but would rather listen.

Will get another soon, (if there are any left)
and save the s1's for spares.

Tom

Tom,

If you measure, use oversampling, take analog
OP after 1st OPA (if it has OPA's) and just use
the AP's internal 5th order LPF @ 22k.
If you have resistor I-V it may be difficult to
get spec as AP doesn't seem to have big enough
DR measuring millivolts (self noise).

Cheers,

Terry

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had a look at my small stock of 1541s and found a S2 with I think a '94 date stamp. S1 is printed on the top right with the original code and the two crowns are later printed on on the bottom right. Does this bear any realation to the AFRAIK? Or is it just a sorted S1?

Hi everybody,

I just borrowed a TDA1541A S2 (see the DAC shown at the left of attached photo) from my friend. Please advise this is a geniune one or not.

Thanks in advance.

(p.s. The DAC shown at the right is the S1 version taken out from a Studer A730)

T.C. MA
HONG KONG

Attachments

• tda1541a(s1 vs s2).jpg
    tda1541a(s1 vs s2).jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 1,150
Crown

snoopyma said:
Hi everybody,

I just borrowed a TDA1541A S2 (see the DAC shown at the left of attached photo) from my friend. Please advise this is a geniune one or not.

Thanks in advance.

(p.s. The DAC shown at the right is the S1 version taken out from a Studer A730)

T.C. MA
HONG KONG

Hi,
If you look carefully you will see that the crowns at the left are different from the crown at the right. You used blue light to take the pictures? Normally the lettering is white.
:bawling: :confused:

Re: tda1541a-s2 for sale

elib said:
thanks, Peter, it's so good that you like it.

for those intereted in this chip:
i still have quite a number of the chips for sale, the price is:
75 USD/pc + shiping
68 USD for 10+, plus shipment.

i also have cs8412cp's in stock.
are there anyone interested in a 1541 dac project? if someone can design a pcb i think i can supply them quite cheaply, maybe at $2 or so.

Thanks Elib, got mine today, very well packed, thank you for taking such care in packaging it up for shipping.

Regards

Anthony

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.