TDA 2030A Amp Power Supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all. This is my first post here, and I am a true novice. I have successfully completed some guitar switching pedals, but this is my first pc board project. So, I appreciate your patience! Here we go:

I purchased this kit: New TDA2030A Amplifier Amp Board DIY Kit Free Shipping | eBay

I put it together, and it seems to be all set up. I have checked over my solder work and all the connections look good. Now, I have no idea how to power it!

My only attempt so far, was to attach a 9v battery harness to the ground/ac terminals. I was able to get a signal when I plugged in the signal from my laptop through an RCA adapter, but I had to have the volume knob turned almost completely up to get a signal, and the output was low and distorted compared to what I expected from an amp at this wattage. My guess it that this is an insufficient power source.

So, I am looking for suggestions on how I should go about properly powering this amp. Again, I am a beginner so I appreciate any dumbing down you feel will help me grasp the concepts. Thanks!

Jacob

Yes, 9 volts won't cut it. You need a transformer with center tapped secondary. A 24v 2 amp (12-0-12) will work fine. The center tap lead goes to the center connector (ground) on the power input block and the outer leads each go to an outer connection (AC). I don't know what country you're from, but Radio Shack sells a transformer that will work.

You must mount the ICs to a heat sink of sufficient size (in case you did not).

For $8.55 and free shipping, coming from HK, expect these kits to have counterfeit parts, such as the ICs. They should work, but longevity is questionable and they will not perform up to the levels of the authentic parts.

Do you have a heatsink installed?

Take a picture and post that.

This amp board needs a split supply to operate.

There is a bridge rectifier seen in the e-bay pix.

A 24Vct transformer would work.

But if you just put a power supply to it without heatsinking it will probably overheat when used.

See .jpg.

I suggest you read up about making a power supply (wall outlet powered) or seek help from someone more experienced before you start.

Be safe.

Attachments

• transformer-ct.JPG
    transformer-ct.JPG
    10.3 KB · Views: 281
Thank you all for the responses. I do not have a heat sink yet. I assume it attaches to the chips? There seem to be holes made for mounting pre-drilled. I am in the U.S.

If I go to radio shack for a transformer, will I be purchasing a ready-made product or something that will require more parts/soldering to be complete? I am OK with either option, I just need to know what I am looking for.

Likewise, am I likely to find a sufficient heatsink at radio shack?

I have attached pics of my completed board. It is essentially what is pictured in the ebay pic.

Thanks again for the advice. I'm excited to complete this project!

FWIW, my goal here is to have a simple amp for plugging in my phone/mp3/laptop for amplification. I'm not necessarily looking for a high end system, it just seemed that this would be a fun hobby project that would give me a good-enough product and be relatively inexpensive. I have a pair of 18w computer speakers and a wooden box that will house the whole system. Have I chosen the right amp equipment for such a project?

Thanks!
8504201732_e908fd7946_k.jpg

8504201960_f0d32db851_k.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice!

Following up:

I am in the USA.

Is the radio shack transformer a complete product ready to plug in, or will it require more soldering/wiring work? Just to know what I am looking for.

Will radio shack have a sufficient heat sink? If not, can you recommend a vendor?

Pics attached.

FWIW: This project is intended to be an amp for my phone/mp3/laptop amplification needs. I have a pair of cheapo 18w speakers @ 4ohms that will eventually go into a wooden box with the amp. Have I chosen a suitable kit for my needs? Or would another kit be a better fit.

Thanks!
IMGDEAD]

I'm pretty sure you can get a heat sink from the ebay supplier of that board.
Any heat sink i s better then no heat sink but if the heat sinks are too small the chip's power will be reduced a lot.
I went with a different version of the same amp but would be interested in how your sounds.
Radio shack transformer will require wiring, you need a fuse, fuse holder and cord on the side with 2 wires and the 3 wire side of the transformer will hook up to your 3 screw connector on the left.

johnr66

"...A 24v 2 amp (12-0-12) will work fine...."

I agree.

instagvl

"...Have I chosen a suitable kit for my needs?..."

Your choice is reasonable well matched.

Don't expect to knock down the walls but for general listening levels it is similar to what I have on my computer and it is loud enough for one room.

You will need to wire the transformer to power. (through a fuse and switch)

An alternative is to find a couple of laptop supplies at about 16V and 2A or more.

If you wish to look at that idea, search for "laptop supplies" in DIYAUDIO and read what the discussions are for their use.

Just remember: higher supply voltage-->more power---> bigger heatsinks needed.

Happy learning.

One caution - the tab of the chip is connected to the negative supply (internally in the chip) and you should use a mica wafer or sil-pad sheet to isolate it from the heat sink (you could skip the insulator if you can guarantee taht the heat sink won't be grounded but why risk it.)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.