TB new line of Coax FR drivers

Slowly going forward.

I'm starting to wonder about the best strategy for the tweeter with an active crossover. Should I completely forget about using a protection cap, use a big one or make the cap a part of the crossover calculations ?

At first sight I'm going for a LR24 at about 2khz. Can I just put a 20uF cap in serie with the tweeter, then EQ the tweeter as if I had a true 6db slope and then slap three more poles to get a LR24 ?

Attachments

• IMG_20190301_154551965.jpg
    IMG_20190301_154551965.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 1,153
That baffle looks great work.

Guess best you can do is measure tweeter in situation and use free XSim or VituixCAD to massage the rest into 4th order LR target, because a 1st order capacitor divided driver impedance times drivers natural 2nd order roll off plus baffle in situation is hard to predict transfer into real target curve.

Below is dirty quick rough example from VirtuixCAD using ONNI's curve, it takes two 2nd order low shelves plus one PEQ EQ's combined 6,8uF capacitor, but its not good enough to copy because ONNI used another capacitor in his measurements for that curve and also baffle is not the same.

Attachments

• 1000.png
    1000.png
    72.5 KB · Views: 1,140
It is alive!

This is my first ever speaker build and I can't express how happy I am that it actually works and it sounds good!
Base is an Ikea lamp base and enclosure is 3D printed in carbon fibre PLA composite. Sounds fancy but it is not really. It is stronger than regular plastic though. Surface also has a really nice finish with a bit of a graphite like shine.
As expected, performance in the low end is missing. On to building a sub I guess. :)
A big thanks to people here for helping me with crossover issues.
Let me know your thoughts.

Attachments

• 20190316_142312.jpg
    20190316_142312.jpg
    967.3 KB · Views: 1,071
Nice, but yes that minimal round baffle is not helping the bass at all, and driver's excursion is challenged. You will obviously need to cross around 200Hz, not just a subwoofer!

Can you show room response of a single speaker? REW's Distortion graphics shows fundamental spl representing room response, if measurement is taken at spot.

Here is my IKEA bowl with SEAS MR18 coaxial, no highpass, measured at 60 cm. It is easy to see where the woofer starts to have problems.

Attachments

• MR18 MT lr2 disto 100db.jpg
    MR18 MT lr2 disto 100db.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 867
Last edited:
Bought 16 of the tweeters used in these coaxials for a small line array project/prototype. Measurements found here, VoiceCoil, and Hobby Hi-Fi looked promising and the frame size is smaller than most for a tweeter with its low end capabilities.

Now I need to shop around for a CNC operator.

Attachments

• 20190524_164337.jpg
    20190524_164337.jpg
    357.6 KB · Views: 598
Anyone put this in a box yet. tang band w8 2314

Currently working on it. Doing two 0.23cuFT vented boxes with a 1” port (PE knock downs because I have some) along with a riff on Perceval’s crossover design. Drivers arrive in 3 weeks.

If these work well I’ll do the 8” in a sealed box on top of vented Isobaric HiVi M8N’s because I’m somewhat nuts and why not.

They’re being driven by an Emotiva class a/b at 300wpc into 8ohms, so lots of power.

found these over the weekend. They've peaked my interest in my first DIY project.

The D'appolito setup is what I was thinking for a mid-tower and center channel setup. Possibly a passive woofer on the outside of the box to help with bass when using 2 of these set to hit the lows under 400hz Dayton Audio RS225-8 8" Reference Woofer

What's a good 8" woofer match for these coax TB's if you're looking for them to do more than just really low bass?

Worth going D'Appolito over a more symplistic approach with a single 10 or 8 and having the sub focus on sub things?

I just finished building a pair of active speakers based on the w6-2313. I "just" need now to design the digital crossover and EQ.

If anyone in Brussels with a pair of LS50 or the like wants to setup a comparative, this might be possible by this weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_20190716_144625859.jpg
    IMG_20190716_144625859.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 672