Tannoy System 800 never sounded right

See post #17 where I did just that. The dip didn't disappear when I reversed the tweeter, it just moved up in frequency a bit, got broader and shallower, and a hump appeared above it.

I think there is some fundamental issue with the design, maybe something to do with the distance between the acoustic centres of the woofer and tweeter, combined with cone breakup in the woofer.

Since reversing the polarity of the tweeter has no effect, a likely cause is the woofer and tweeter rolling off too early. In other words, their natural roll-off do not overlap, hence the notch.

You can test out this assumption by measuring the woofer and tweeter separately, without any crossover. If this indeed is the case, I'm afraid there's nothing much that can be done.

I'm not sure what to think about these speakers. I like the sound of the horn tweeter, and I like the bass extension and lower midrange punch that comes from the big cabinet and 8" woofer. But I don't like what is basically a missing 1/2 octave right at the crossover frequency.

I think Tannoy may have had a quality control problem as I've heard other pro audio people complaining about a weird sounding midrange on these speakers that made their mixes turn out wrong. This thread was partly about investigating these reports to see if there was any substance to them. It seems that there is. :(

I would not be surprised. Years ago, I think it was in the early 90s, I bought a new pair of 2-way bookshelf, one of the British well known brands, can't really remember which one. After breaking them in, I felt that something just wasn't right. Eventually, I did a sweep with LMS and to my horror, the tweeter was connected wrongly, resulting in a deep notch. The reason I bought them was the raving reviews in the hifi magazines. I wanted to hear for myself whether what was written is factual.

Frankly, even with the tweeter's phase corrected, the speakers were nothing outstanding. The manufacturers claim of superior performance stemming from their fancy trapezoid box (less internal reflection and all that) was simply marketing hype. That episode taught me one lesson. In the minds of some manufacturers, consumers are stupid. Simply feed them with the right advertising garbage, pay some hifi magazines to write a good review, and the buyers pay a premiun.

These are not the only speakers. Time and again, I bought different brands, some even are recording nearfield monitors with ruler flat response and 24dB electrical crossovers for low pass and high pass that were simply impossible to mix with. The magazines say otherwise. Best Buy of the Year. Well, maybe it's my ears :p

Attachments

• show_file.gif
    show_file.gif
    10.8 KB · Views: 418
Last edited:
Thank , I know it but it's not correct schematic. Tweeter crossover must have no coil ( 1st order filter) Te small coil must be in series with Woofer capasitor and resistor. I find several pictures and schematic of Tannoy System 600 but that is to much diferences between them...

Tweeter and Woofer must be in Phase. The measurement shows the (electrolytic) capacitor in the LF part is degraded (these speakers are more than 20 years old).

Do you own a pair ? If yes I can provide more information on the crossover tomorrow. If refurbished they are excellent monitors which will meet their specifications and the frequency response should look more like the one attached. Why "Audio Science Review" measures a broken speaker and then writes nonsense like "seems to have been designed based on ideas and principals, as opposed to verification with measurements" is beyond me. Owning a Klippel system is one thing, knowing how to interpret the data is another.

Attachments

• tannoy_system_600a_frequency_response.jpg
    tannoy_system_600a_frequency_response.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 231
Repurposed

Hello, I'm decommissioning a homemade soundbar containing two 1678 Tannoy dual concentrics, and a near matching Tannoy 622. I'm considering using an existing active crossover plus regular power amps and a subwoofer on the 1678 pair, in new cabinets, bypassing their passive crossovers.
Does anyone know if there was heavy eq applied in the crossover for these?
I'd like to plug these into new cabinets and play, with just a little tweaking from a digital crossover signalling a DAC.
Alternatively, I could use the units with the passive crossovers, and cross them with the active units to some nimble woofers, actively, and those to a subwoofer if necessary for full range. The original cabinets are gone.