Tannoy autograph mini active monitor cabinet, crossover, HF and LF amp build

I am looking at getting some Tannoy Autograph Mini drivers for £250 and want to build or buy and reuse some good sounding cabinets, crossovers that filter the original signal at 2.3khz, a low frequency and a high frequency amp.

I need suggestions on where to get suitable cabinets or designs to build; crossovers, HF amp and LF amps or recommendations on where to get them as either kits or pre-builtI. I am looking for suggestions and opinions.

Thanks,
Philip

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
i believe this is thread #3.

I expect the LXmini XO kit would be a good choice for active. 1st or 2nd order should be sufficient and the EQ section is likely needed (you’d have to figure out what that EQ needs to be).. Knowing what the factory XO looks like ewould likely help.

Quite a range of amplifiers possible, what do you have spare?

For a cabinet design, the T/S parameters will be needed. As to cope\ying the Tannoy boxes i have not been imressed with them.

dave

@planet10 , sorry to necro this thread, but I found most of the crossover values as follows:

https://www.hifiwigwam.com/threads/help-figuring-out-tannoy-autograph-mini-crossover.111526/

Three questions. Firstly, why the Linkwitz XO? This was one of the responses received in terms of pairing it with the Tannoy Autograph Mini drivers when it was raised as a possibility, based on the information you've provided here.

This is an analogue active crossover designed by Nelson Pass that has a crossover frequency and response curve specifically tailored to match the LX Mini speaker. Looking at the response curve in Nelson's article, the xover frequency is about 750 Hz. As I have already said once in this thread, the Autograph Mini drivers need the xover frequency to be around the 2500 Hz mark (Tannoy actually uses 2300 I believe), so this design would be totally unsuitable for use with the Autograph Mini drivers for that reason alone. The carefully crafted frequency response of the crossover as designed would also not be a match for the Tannoys. You would be wasting your money if you took that advice.

Second question, other people seem to advocate running the Autograph Mini drivers with MiniDSP 2x4 HD. What are your thoughts on that?

Finally, third question, if not the default enclosure parameters, what type of enclosure for a 4" driver would you recommend? Or does this require measuring the frequency response of the driver, and adapting accordingly?

@planet10 , the images as you requested.

Please note the written crossover schematics are complete and utter guesstimates.

1662579751603.png

%0A%0AFrom Brother iPrint&Scan.png 277797231_10158280867397540_6057486125372745494_n.jpg IMG_20220831_181022.jpg IMG_D6A56B8819FA-1.jpeg IMG_E4080C93086A-1.jpeg Tannoy Autograph Mini Crossover.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
@planet10 , thank you for your response! Admittedly, I don't really know what that means, and I am of the impression that the crossover may need to vary significantly if I go for a different enclosure size.

My impression is that you said you weren't impressed with Tannoy's default offering, and I was curious to hear what other enclosure you would potentially recommend for these 4 inch drivers.

It should be noted the 'XT Mini' crossover schematic is for a cheaper (but similar-ish) speaker in the Tannoy series, as compared to the Autograph Mini. The idea was that with both being dual concentric, perhaps there would be similarities in the design.

However just about everything else relates to the Autograph Mini and its crossover.

@planet10 , sorry to bother you once more, but two questions.

1. What kind of enclosure did you have in mind, when you originally mentioned there could be better enclosures for the Autograph Mini drivers than the original enclosure?

2. Do you reckon a bookshelf speaker made with the Autograph Mini drivers would be better than the BBC LS3/5A design?

No T/S info on the baby Tannoy, unfortunately.

That said I'm looking to take more proactive steps with my bookshelf speaker quest and am finally thinking of giving this a go.

If you sell CAD files for the type of enclosure you've recommended, let me know how I can go about paying you for those. Thanks in advance!

Something like this one i did for a KEF 4” Uni-Q.

UniQ-4-trapezoid-extents.gif

Is there T/S info on the baby Tannoy?

It is not too hard to beat LS3/5A. The XO is quite key.

dave

If you don't mind, I actually tried to send you a PM to enquire about paying for the enclosure CAD files, and it says I do not have the permission to send you a DM. Reckoned in case my previous two messages didn't send a notification through to you, I've quoted your reply if that's not an issue. Thanks in advance!

I have that email, and the same T/S i grabbed from this thread. Just need to get at my modeler.

dave

Morning Dave!

Thank you so much for your response.

Out of interest, what would make the MiniOnken work better than the UniQ 4" KEF Ken-4T OV8 for the mini Autograph drivers?

Also, I went onto your website and would like to purchase a MiniOnken planset but it does look like there's lots to choose from. Is there any particular one, close to a 7 litre dimension, that you would recommend?

Thanks in advance.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I don’t think i have yet released a 7 litre miniOnken for anything yet,

Out of interest, what would make the MiniOnken work better than the UniQ 4" KEF Ken-4T OV8 for the mini Autograph drivers?

KEF-Ken is a 5 litres miniOnken IITC, it could probably be squeeze into that box. Just checked it can, same ultimate extention, the larger enclosure should have moire mid-upper base punch.

dave