Tang Band's FR Entry

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
mp9 said:
any "smaller room lighter weight" box ideas for either driver?

would the W8-1808 be a drop in for a 1/2 chang or better suited for the metronome?

To me a metronome looks quite good (for a sim that is):

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

But it would be quite big with an internal height of 65 inch and an internal width at the base of 17 inches.

You have to remember that the original Metronome was designed for the FE108EZ and was 44" tall. MJK's original ML-TQWT for the FE167E was 60" tall. You are tuning yet lower and 65" sounds quite reasonable. If you want a shorter cabinet, try a straight taper or even negative taper. I don't know if this driver is suitable, but....

Bob

Bob Brines said:
If you want a shorter cabinet, try a straight taper or even negative taper. I don't know if this driver is suitable, but....

Bob

My simulation for a classical mltl gives an enclosure with a height of 50", 10" width and 12" depth with a simulated F3 at 40 Hz with a slow rolloff below that point.
Hope to get Internet at home today, so i can post the simulation.

Cathul said:

My simulation for a classical mltl gives an enclosure with a height of 50", 10" width and 12" depth with a simulated F3 at 40 Hz with a slow rolloff below that point.
Hope to get Internet at home today, so i can post the simulation.

Here is the simulation:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Don't know if this driver is really suited to a MLTL.

Re: Sims

AstroSonic said:
Cathul,

Are these mltl sims for the 1808? If so, how does the 1772 fare?

Regards,

Bob

Yes, they are for the 1808.
My mltl simulation for the 1772 is like this:

Simulation done with the following specs:

R add: 3.0 Ohm
int Lenght: 50 inch
z driver: 12 inch
z port: 45 inch
9.5 inch x 13 inch (width x depth)
Stuffing density: 0.5 lb ft-3
Port diameter: 5 inch
Port Length: 6 inch

Driver specs are from the manufacturers website.

Cone Material?

The new TB 8-inch full range drivers appear to have a lot going for them, even at the asking price. However, the lack of descriptive information on the cone material (which is just described as 'paper') leaves a person wondering. TB is surely aware of the competition, and how important the cone material is for a full range driver in that price range. Unusually uninformative for a company that has been pretty innovative at offering a variety of cone materials and at quite reasonable prices.

Bob P.

Cone Material

Mr. T(initus) :>)

The diaphram material in a full range driver is very important, which is why I was puzzled at the lack of information on the new TB 8-inch full rangers. Other manufacturers make it known that some thought has been put into cone material selection, if only by its unusual nature. Here are a few examples:

Fostex FX-120: Kenef
Fostex FE206E: banana pulp
Fostex FE208ESigma: banaba fiber
Aurasound NS4-255-4F: Aluminum
SEAS Exotic: Paper with papyrus fibers
TB W3-881SJ: PPM
TB W41757S: Aluminum
TB W4-1337SD: Titanium
TBW4-1052SD: Bamboo
TB W3-315E: Aluminum/Magnesium

Lowther and Feastrex are both well known for their cone materials.

As you can see, a wide variety of cone materials are used in full range drivers, from budget to SOTA. TB in particular, offers drivers that are inpart distinguished by their cone material. For a company manufacturing drivers with cones ranging from bamboo to titanium, to offer a flagship driver with a 'paper' cone is somewhat unusual. There is seemingly nothing special about this cone. It is not possible to distinguish its cone from that in a Quam ceiling speaker. I seriously doubt the latter, and infact suspect TB has put a lot of thought into these cones.

I suspect that the copper plated phase plug functions as a shorting ring, allowing greater power delivery into the HF.

Light weight voice coil in underhung motor with a Neo magnet and significant Xmax. What's not to like?

Bob P.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Cone Material

AstroSonic said:
The diaphram material in a full range driver is very important,

Fostex FX-120: Kenef
Fostex FE206E: banana pulp
Fostex FE208ESigma: banaba fiber
SEAS Exotic: Paper with papyrus fibers
TBW4-1052SD: Bamboo

I for one don't care... paper gives as much information as any of the above mentioned -- all of which are paper cones. There are so many possible receipes for paper, that the marketing dept* giving you one ingredient is next to useless information. How the paper is made, the binders, all the ingredients & how the strengths & weaknesses of that particular paper receipe synergize (or not) with the shape & the way the cone is formed create a huge number of variables that are WAY more important.

* take the HempCone drivers for instance... if they actually follow the receipe in their patent app, then these cones have zero real hemp in them... but they sure have made marketing mileage out of it.

dave

Cone Material

Dave,

What you say is true and extends well beyond the cone. But then, why should we be interested in any particular part of a driver? Needless to say, we are interested, even knowing full well that it is the synergy of all the parts that goes to make up the sound of a given driver.

I just find it odd that TB would tell us about most of the other 'parts' of these drivers and leave us with a minimal description of the cone material, considering that they probably offer more cone material choices than almost any other driver manufacturer.

Ultimately, somebody will need to breakdown, buy a pair, break them in and report back. Until somebody does this, most of us are going to be thinking that these appear to be very promising, based on what we know of the various parts (including the cone material).

Bob P.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.