Tang Band W8-1772 Impressions.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
All set up for tomorrow's Houston Audio Society speaker comparison meeting. It's amazing how very different these speakers sound until you do some level matching so they all play at the same volume. Then the differences become more subtle. The line arrays have more bass impact than the TT-2000s and the Maggies offer greater treble resolution, but those Tang Band drivers are addictive. Most surprising so far is the variety of music they sound good with. I expected them to excel with girl-with-guitar acoustic and small ensemble 18th century classical, but I wish everybody could hear them reproducing the sounds of a large pipe organ in a reverberant cathedral. Wow! :up:

Here's the link to a picture of the room:
Speakers - FredT300B's Photos

OK, I'll put on the official :cop: and state that the next person to bring up cables and not deal with the TB driver in question will be electrocuted through their keyboard or simply turned to smoke and disappear.

so if i used the words TB driver and cable's in the same sentence i won't poof away in smoke ?

You can´t electrocute us without cabling us first.:D

Tell that to Nikola Tesla. ;)

I believe they're comparable to the 207 and not to the 206, whose different TS parameters are more appropriate for horn loading.

While I'd agree that the specs., are closer to the 207, the 206 is not necessarily more appropriate for horns than other drivers; at least not in terms of back-loading. BLHs ideally need a driver with a reasonably low mass corner frequency as you don't want to be running them up too high.

I,ve never liked the 206E. What ever I do with it, it's in-your-face bright. The 207E is well balanced. The W8-1772 is well balanced and extended on top. It will be interesting to hear from Fred's get together.

Here are pictures of my TT-2000 in oak veneer:

Bob

Attachments

• TT-2000_VGA.jpg
    TT-2000_VGA.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 1,232
  • W8-1772_VGA.jpg
    W8-1772_VGA.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 1,203
Tell that to Nikola Tesla. ;)

Thanks, old insubmersible mariner - with friends like you, who needs enemies?:headshot:

But as to 206 vs 207 - the Sachiko (I´m still tapping feet to start building once I can afford a workshed again) simulates as being a comfy home for both. Problem is - if you don´t like the "shout" of the 07 and iron the FR flat, you end up with the same 96dB for twice the money.

Let´s wait for reports about that TangleBangle - if it can do Loreena let´s hug it.

re:1772 and DM - reason I asked was - when listening to Dean Martin Christmas songs on YouTube, I noted my JBL Decade36 woofer going about 6mm p-p - being 3-way there wasn't too much gargle. Hey Pit - re: Karlson - if setup as coupled cavity then LF corner will be just about what the rear chamber volume/tuning alone would do. The front chamber if large enough could add some support in bass harmonic regions. Any front at all would add some "reverberation" effect and can exhibit cavity peaking. I guess Karlson could be modeled and built as inverted tapped horn/transflex type. BLH at some point of bulk would do more LF than regular little Karlson.

here's a 208 Sigma Fostex coupler built 5 years ago by Carl N. He had to rebuild it with 3/4" material as 1/2" plywood flexed too much. I'm pretty sure he slotted the front chamber all the way up in subsequent versions. Carl gave up on it - not because of being Karlson but because of compression on testing with drum playback vs the original wav recording dynamic which I figure was due to 208's limited displacement (perhaps 1772 would do better?). Carl's impression was 208 Sigma was better than 206E. I have no idea whether making couplers taller makes them go lower (for fixed bulk) or can manipulate the response in the 200Hz region. (would be quick to find out for someone with a saw and place to work) If one built a tapped pipe then I could see where a skinny and narrow structure could be useful vs squat. How are 1772 at handling power? Freddy

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
Sometime back I mentioned I would compare the Brines TT-2000's with corner placement and no bsc versus pulled out about three feet with the bsc. Bottom line is that the corner placement does reinforce the bass, but overall I prefer the speakers pulled out into the room and with the bsc filter in the circuit. The soundstage is much more realistic that way.

Somebody sent me a PM yesterday asking if I'm still as happy with these speakers as I was at first. The answer is yes, regardless of whether I'm using a 3 watt 2A3 SET amp or a big Krell sand amp. These drivers offer a smoother octave to octave tonal balance than I've heard with Fostex drivers. There's a large price difference, but it becomes less when you factor in the cost of adding phase plugs to the Fostex.

So if I were doing it all over again I would still go with the TB-1772's. :xmastree:

Somebody sent me a PM yesterday asking if I'm still as happy with these speakers as I was at first. The answer is yes
So if I were doing it all over again I would still go with the TB-1772's. :xmastree:

That would've been me.
Thanks Fred, I am now fully convinced that I am on the right way going after the TB-1772.

I am now in doubt about the type of the cabinets.
From one side is Bob's TT-2000, from the other is the horn recommended by TB.

I have already started looking for material and for now there are two options - 25mm MDF or 25mm birch plywood. As I understand, TB recommend HDF, but I couldn't find any around.
I guess that the finish with the plywood will be harder than with MDF - there is only one andgled corner in these horns, all other are rounded.

I would apreciate any recommendations since these will be my first cabinets.

Attachments

• TB-1772-horn.gif
    TB-1772-horn.gif
    27.3 KB · Views: 1,230
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.