Tabletop 2.1 bluetooth speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello!

I want to build a speaker to stream music by bluetooth or by 1/8 jack input, something more than a boombox.
My initial tough was to use two tb w4-1337 and one tb w5-1138SMF for the sub, both in BR setup, for the amp a tpa3116 2.1 and a sure 4.0 bluetooth board, everything fitted inside a box of birch plywood.
Then i came out with the idea to turn back to a more simple setup with two w5-1611 in BR with tpa3116 amp and the bluetooth board, saving some money for a chinese tube preamp maybe...

Which solution do you think is better? Is it more "audiophile" to not have a sub? Or is better to let the sub take care of the lowest extension?
I've attached a rapid simulation of the two cabinets versions... the w5 request more volume...

Thanks for the help :)

Attachments

• options.jpg
    options.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 337
  • options-2.jpg
    options-2.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 319
So i should add a low frequencies filter for the fullrange speakers, or understand how low they go and set the sub accordingly? sorry but i am a newbie...

Maybe a 2.0 system for a first build is more easy to build, even if the volume in BR is quite bigger

Your idea with the w5-1611 looks good.
You could also go with a 2 way that's already been designed and proven such as the Overnight Sensation:
Overnight Sensation - Speaker Kits DIY Sound Group

Overnight Sensations MT Speaker Kit Pair

There are some small subs available too, but the Overnight Sensation digs pretty deeply for such a small package. If you use them for near-field listening, a sub won't be necessary.

These amps already have BT built into them.
Lepai LP7498E 200W Class D Stereo Amplifier with Bluetooth aptX and Power Supply

Dayton Audio DAA 2x20W Digital Audio Amplifier with Bluetooth

TEAC AI-101DA High Resolution Stereo Bluetooth Amplifier with USB DAC 2 x 26W

Have fun with your project!

Mike

Hi i'm resurrecting this thread cause i've decided finally to proceed in the design and build of this speaker.
I've done a bit of research and i've decided to go with a 2.1 setup, because i love to complicate my life :).

FULLRANGE (sealed):
vifa TC9FD18 Peerless by Tymphany TC9FD18-08 3-1/2" Full Range Paper Cone Woofer
or Vifa TG9FD

But i think i will take the cheapest TC9FD18

SUBWOOFER (vented):
W5-1138SMF or W3-2108, The w3 requires a smaller vented volume but it has a lower sensitivity.

AMP
For the amp i'm considering this TPA3116 2.1, the vendor says it has better components but to my eyes looks the same of the other amps of this kind.

Now the problems is that the amp should have a 70hz low pass filter on the sub out and 10hz high pass for full range speakers, this is what i understood reading this thread on part express forum. The Vifa can go down to 70hz? or i should change the low pass filter inside the amp in order to make the sub reach higher frquencies? I'm a bit confused... Help needed!!:(

thank you

Hi i'm resurrecting this thread cause i've decided finally to proceed in the design and build of this speaker.
I've done a bit of research and i've decided to go with a 2.1 setup, because i love to complicate my life :).

FULLRANGE (sealed):
vifa TC9FD18 Peerless by Tymphany TC9FD18-08 3-1/2" Full Range Paper Cone Woofer
or Vifa TG9FD

But i think i will take the cheapest TC9FD18

SUBWOOFER (vented):
W5-1138SMF or W3-2108, The w3 requires a smaller vented volume but it has a lower sensitivity.

AMP
For the amp i'm considering this TPA3116 2.1, the vendor says it has better components but to my eyes looks the same of the other amps of this kind.

Now the problems is that the amp should have a 70hz low pass filter on the sub out and 10hz high pass for full range speakers, this is what i understood reading this thread on part express forum. The Vifa can go down to 70hz? or i should change the low pass filter inside the amp in order to make the sub reach higher frquencies? I'm a bit confused... Help needed!!:(

thank you

this is almost the same with my plan (im a beginner)
http://i.imgur.com/dK70AXv.jpg
im thinking of 4.1 for viva TC9FD18 + w5-1138
but it so stressful to looking for the proven design with "normal" wooden box
i have read the Foam Core Board Speaker Enclosure
but cannot find what i like (small wooden vented box)
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full...ard-speaker-enclosures.html?highlight=TC9FD18

TC9 can work well in 1.5L sealed but must crossover somewhere 150-200hz or so. 300+ if real SQ is a goal to avoid rising distortion. (From what I've read that's not compatible with the 1138, crossover at 150hz is better).

My only real comment about 4.1 is you are asking a lot of a single 1138 to compete with many TC9s. They're more efficient to start with. You probably need something like 8x the power to compete with them.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.