TABAQ TL for Tangband

Greetings!

Has anyone built these speakers recently?

I've found Jantzen Air Core inductors for less than $6 each at PE, but I'm wondering what wattage for the resistor to use.

Thanks in advance!

I don't know, but I hope this helps: The Cyburgs Needle is a similar speaker design that uses a single 3-4" driver. The Needle uses 10 Watt resistors for a pretty wide range of drivers. Here are some Needle kits to show the ballpark of component values: Needle Bausatz im Angebot bei SpectrumAudio-Spezialvertrieb für Breitbandlautsprecher und mehr

Still, best if someone could give a more precise answer.

Hello,

seems to be a great project to start with.

I am wondering what to do when using 18mm MDF:

1) keep same baffle size (reduce internal width) and compensate by increasing the depth to match internal volume. internal width would then be 8.6 cm instead of 10 cm.

2) keep same internal dimensions, ie: baffle will be 12mm wider, 13.6cm instead of the 12.4 cm.

Any ideas?

thanks

Benoit

Just an update on my TABAQ.
I have build one with Tang Band 4" W4-1320 SB. The SPL is of course higher than the 3" version. The bass with the 4" driver is very clean and very tight, just the way I want it. I have done measurements with my ears only, and down to 35 Hz, the output is fine. I can hear the 16 Hz tone, but this is of course at a low level.
The cabinet is the same as with the 3", but I would consider to make the side panels of thicker material. This does not affect the internal volume.
According to MJK simulations BSC should not be nesseacy with a listening position of 3 meters and the cabinet against the wall. Actual testing confirms this. However, I am still testing this.
Hi from
Bjorn

Disabled Account
Joined 2009
Just an update on my TABAQ.
I have build one with Tang Band 4" W4-1320 SB. The SPL is of course higher than the 3" version. The bass with the 4" driver is very clean and very tight, just the way I want it. I have done measurements with my ears only, and down to 35 Hz, the output is fine. I can hear the 16 Hz tone, but this is of course at a low level.
The cabinet is the same as with the 3", but I would consider to make the side panels of thicker material. This does not affect the internal volume.
According to MJK simulations BSC should not be nesseacy with a listening position of 3 meters and the cabinet against the wall. Actual testing confirms this. However, I am still testing this.
Hi from
Bjorn

Bjorn

many thanks for the update - what is the reproduction of (female) voices like and how is the stereo imaging in this setup? (apparently the metronome is extreemly good in for these two).
Many tahnks, AM

PS I just ordered some W4-1320SJ locally (initially did not think I could get them locally and shipping costs from the US are just making it too high so was looking at the W4-1052SD instead that is in stock here in New Zealand).

Hi Amadeus, let me get back to you about female voices. I expect this will depend on the driver used.
I can not tell you much about the stereo imaging. I have one cabinet with the 3" and one with 4" to compare the two. When i have installed the 4" in both cabinets I can tell mkore about this.
I have some small MicroPod speakers which I upgraded with TB 3" drivers, and the stereo imagination is very good in this setup. MicroPod is a small low cost 2-way speaker, but with one TB the sound is not bad at all for easy listening.
Would be interesting if a Mentonome user built a pair of TABAQ for direct comparison. The TABAQ is very easy to build, and TB Drivers are affordable.
Hi from
Bjorn

Finished

I finally finished a pair of these. I wanted to come up with a gift for an employee and thought a pair of these would be something different from the usual end of the school year gift card to somewhere.

Anyway, they are made with TB W3-926SD drivers and I must say I am impressed. I won't be switching to these from my FAST OB speakers (completely different animals), but for single 3 in driver and less than $100/pair, I don't think they have ANYTHING to regret. Nice job on this design Bjorn!:)

I loaded a pic into my gallery, but couldn't get one to load on here.:confused:

Forsman: Dude! I just threw mine together to be able to give away as a gift before the end of the school year. Yours look like they might be works of art. More pic's of that animal!:nod:

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
PICT0039.JPG

this one?

dave

Thanks!

Yep. Those are them. Thanks, Planet 10! My cable company down here doesn't exactly have the best internet service. It's the best in the area, but that isn't saying much. I'm really hoping CLEAR or someone brings wi-max to the area.

BTW: Would the w3-926sd be suitable for your mTan-Ken? Your plans call for a w3-593, but I have an extra pair of the w3-926sd drivers and was looking at different ideas now that I've done a pair of TABAQ's.

Last edited:
Cool!

It's nice to work at putting speakers together with cheaper drivers until I get the finish work nice enough to put in a living room. My carpentry and painting skills are from theatre, so everything looks good from 10+ feet away, but up close... not so much. Good fun though!

I'm off to go work a recital. We've got the Parker Quartet giving a concert tonight in our recital hall for our young artists series. "See tomorrow's stars at today's prices!" Should be good.

Thanks again!

Thanks for the kind comments. :)

They are no pies of art though but maybe a bit different. Haven’t seen so many speakers veneered with fabric before.

It was pretty much like wrapping gifts for Christmas. The only major deferens is that I rarely apply glue on presents. ;)

I also made the top lid removable to be able to adjust stuffing more easily. At the moment I´m using 0.6 lb/ft3 instead of the original (was it 0.9 lb/ft3?).

A really nice little speaker but it has to come out from the back wall a bit, at least in my room, or there will be some severe dips in the response. My set up with the speakers next to the TV is less than optimum but I put them on the floor when I what to listen to things other than TV.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

/Forsman

Fabric!

Okay. That is just plain cool. I see some patterned fabric on those chairs. Is it safe to assume that you chose the fabric for your TABAQ's to match those chairs? I've read that using fabric around a driver helps in the off-axis response? Did you use a spray on adhesive? In a truly complimentary way, they almost don't look like speakers (but I bet they sound good). Did you use the BSC recommended by Bjorn?

Okay. That is just plain cool. I see some patterned fabric on those chairs. Is it safe to assume that you chose the fabric for your TABAQ's to match those chairs?

You have a keen eye. Yes it´s the same pattern, and yes it is high WAF ;)

Did you use a spray on adhesive?

Exactly. I didn´t want to use a to wet glue because I was afraid it would bleed trough the fabric an stain it. The spray on Adhesive worked just fine.

In a truly complimentary way, they almost don't look like speakers (but I bet they sound good).

Thank you :blush:

Did you use the BSC recommended by Bjorn?

I have them but they are not in place for the moment. Will install them as soon as I have the opportunity.

Kind regards
/Forsman