T-AMP for 12V 2A Lineear PSU

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recently purchased this power supply:

Acoustic-Fun

It has two taps: 5V dc 2A and 12v dc 2A

The 5v is great for usb/spdif converters, etc, but I am struggling to find a tripath amp that will run on the 2A put out by the 12v tap.

Does anyone know of the correct t-amp to use that would manage on this supply for use at low listening levels?

haha no - I bought it just because it is useful! the 12v can also be toggled to 15v.

but yes, I am now struggling to find something that it is useful for OTHER than usb/spdif converters!

If 2A is sufficient, what is the reason most of the t-amp manufacturers package their amps with >3A supplies?

On another note, how *is* a 12V, 2A or 15V, 2A linear power supply best put to use?

Last edited:
like i said, I had a usb/spdif converter that needed a good power supply, this seemed like a useful device (and it is) so I bought it assuming it would come in handy trying a bunch of other products

all i am asking is about the necessary current to power a t-amp, carts are still necessary even if horses are arguably more important....

any other suggestions of audio gear (preamp, dacs) that might use such a power supply are also welcome

"What is the reason most of the t-amp manufacturers package their amps with >3A supplies" - you should ask the people on the Sure T-amp thread why they are using 350W power supplies.

2A is sufficient, but I like to have a power supply capable of (max amp power output) * 2 watts. It's all personal choice.

Here's a Sonic Impact T-amp being used with a 1A adapter:
Sonic Impact T-amp review

It'll work! I've used 12V supplies with 1, 1.5, 2W to power Amp6-es (TA2020 IIRC). It was fine.

If you notice distortion, dropouts, or noticeably lacking dynamics in the very peaks, you could try upgrading the supply – but only after adding a few thousand uF of cheap capacitors. That should be enough.

OK - thanks guys, appreciate the help.

i assume it is safer to buy the lowest power TA20** amp, ie. the 2024? This way the 2A should be sufficient.

I'm using these 90dB/W/m floorstanders:
Welcome to AudioDirect

with this preamp:
CEC DX-71MK2 Pre-amp Digital Analogue Converter

so it will be interesting to see how powerful the 2024 chip is.

by the way - if, however, 2A is not enough - I can just use a 12V SLA battery, how many amp hours would be necessary to ensure a good 5 or 6 hours listening session?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.