Synergy horn with coaxial speaker unit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I have a large 150 Hz tractrix horn and I have considered whether it is possible to create a type of MEH out of it.
I would require a coax unit with a centrally mounted horn. This would create a band pass channel going from the lip of the horn to the cone of the speaker.

Can anyone please recommend a suitable coax speaker?

tractrix_coax.jpg

Your going to get an awful polar pattern with this. And it will likely sound terrible because of all the diffraction caused by the midrange bending around the high frequency horn. Also, it's unlikely that your going to find a coaxial that has a tweeter with a polar reponse which will match up well with the tractix horn. its probably going to be something a bit more conventional

Joined 2007
Paid Member
If you look at the SM80F:
SM80F | Danley Sound Labs, Inc.
that's a similar idea with a coax that is using the cone as a waveguide. The plastic moulding is increasing the depth and mouth size of the cone.

Another product that is a bit simlar in idea is the Soundgear Orbit 4 where the tweeter horn and driver are also a phase plug for the mid:
Soundgear - Speakers - Amplifiers - DSP
(they sound great btw)

* I also had the idea for a bigger version of the orbit 4 with a B&C closed back midrange and woofers mounted synergy style... however I don't need that kind of output yet.

that's a similar idea with a coax that is using the cone as a waveguide. The plastic moulding is increasing the depth and mouth size of the cone.

Another product that is a bit simlar in idea is the Soundgear Orbit 4 where the tweeter horn and driver are also a phase plug for the mid:
(they sound great btw)

* I also had the idea for a bigger version of the orbit 4 with a B&C closed back midrange and woofers mounted synergy style... however I don't need that kind of output yet.

Thanks Kipman,
"the tweeter horn and driver are also a phase plug for the mid" is exactly what I am after.
Interesting speaker that Orbit 4.

Hasselbaink, definitely interested in where this thread goes...

I know it's not what you're after, but here's an older project I still have going, in the same vein as the SM-80 etc....ie a coax with a horn to aid the cone output...my goal was to make an SM-80 that digs lower.

...need to change the foam horn rings .. i believe i should widen their angle, which now matches the angle of the cone... cause so far it's been better without the foam rings. B&C 15cxn.

I don't think these boxes are true synergies...but what you're thinking about is, afaict

Attachments

• coax horn try.jpg
    coax horn try.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 403

(they sound great btw)

This is the closest I could find that matches your concept.

8NMB250VCX

Thanks Ernie,

This driver looks awesome! Wonder where I could buy it?

Best,
Kris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.