Synergy horn for 135 dB+

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
why the extra supports for the CD? Expecting some rough treatment?
If that is where you measured it, I can understand why the response looks rough!
Despite its Neodymium magnet it's quite heavy (4.4 kg / 9.7 lbs) and I didn't trust the mounting plate to hold all of that should the box be dropped, even from a low height. Better safe than sorry.

And yes, that's where I have to measure most of the time. With the first prototype I went through the trouble of setting it up on the rooftop pointed upwards and I have an idea of the low end response. So I'm not too worried about it, but I'm still not sure nor satisfied either :(. Hence my hopes on a measurement session outside in the fields this summer. Would be nice to dial them in correctly.

By the way, how do they sound? With EQ dialed in as well as reasonably possible in this room, quite ok. They show (about) the same resolution as my other Synergies (/w BMS4550) and generate the same type of sound stage, i.e. VERY well positioned instruments, singer exactly in the middle as if there is a third speaker there. They build up the sound stage towards the listener rather than behind the speakers and sound a bit like headphones. The sweet spot in this room is rather small though and reflections off walls, windows and ceiling break down the image quite quickly :(. I'm confident they'll sound awesome outside. I can't compare directly, but in my mind the prototype crossover sounded considerably worse than the final version which has decent components and I don't think there's as much of a difference between active and passive crossover as there was when I was prototyping. I'm not even sure I am bothered by not having the woofers and CD EXACTLY time coherent. Looking forward to seeing the impuls respons of a decent measurement...

Did I mention they are loud as well? To the point where I would like to add 3 more Keystones to keep up :cheers:. Even my drumrizer sub can't keep up :eek:...and I thought that thing was ridiculous in output :).

Last edited:
Everywhere I go I get this, and not the pictures, I have now delete the photobucket account because I do not like this.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_369 Aug. 21 20.31.jpg
    ScreenHunter_369 Aug. 21 20.31.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 668
Photobucket has ceased to be "free" ffor posting to 3rd party sites (like diyaudio). Better to attach photos DIRECTLY (see the info below where you type a post (in "advanced" mode).

(the "gallery at this site used to be a good place to host photos, too, but it has been disabled for new pictures pending some kind of software update)

Attachments

• photoattach.png
    photoattach.png
    8.3 KB · Views: 609
Hi Thijs666,

Do you have plans and hornresp input data for this project?

I had put it all in the first post with photos on Photobucket, but since they stopped their free service, a lot of it is not visible anymore... (and it's a lot of work to repost all the info :headbash: )

Here are the hornresp parameters and calculated max SPL and my figures for Bwaslo's horn sheet (I haven't drawn any plans for this one, sorry).

Attachments

• Hornresp input parameters_zpsgcaydzlq.png
    Hornresp input parameters_zpsgcaydzlq.png
    16.2 KB · Views: 508
  • Synergy 3_zps3dr8ztra.png
    Synergy 3_zps3dr8ztra.png
    58.1 KB · Views: 522
  • Synergy Calc v5 Synergy 222 70x41 v1_zps7evv54wk.png
    Synergy Calc v5 Synergy 222 70x41 v1_zps7evv54wk.png
    124.8 KB · Views: 522
Reactions: 1 user
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.