• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Swordfishy/ASPEN FETZILLA power amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hugh,
I'm still recieving requests for boards.It will be the 5th groupsbuy.A lot of boards sold in the past but not many build or not published on the net.
Hi Meanman,
can you send me PM how much it take 2 boards without & with all parts?
I have interest to,...
I think it is better to not publish it on the net, let Hugh publish it :)

Wow, now into the 4th groupbuy?

This is remarkable, it's a good amp, it's cheap and the documentation is complete, and it certainly has captured the DIY interest..............

Our thanks to Meanman for his tireless admin and pcb supply.

Cheers,

Hugh
Hai Mr Hugh apa kabar?
after read this thread I know you're not so well :worship:
I hope you get better soon :)

My friend will built it too with his own PCB & you know here the parts is difficult to search.

It is okay to use K1058-J162( I will try double output if I can)...
I'm also interest if someone can supply me the parts, this will be my first fet's amplifier.
but before that I must save some cash first :D

Hugh, ,thanks for sharing this amp.
I hope I can built it too

Cheers,

John

John,
I've already have Hugh and the FetZilla designer their blessings to sell boards.What I ment by publish on the net is there were 4 groupsbuys of this amp but not many build.Maybe there were a lot more FetZillas build but not shown on the net.
You can use K1058-J162 I've done so myself and now gonna test it with a SMPS too.
I can provide you the small fets if you want.

This amp deserves the plaudits - it is now our main system amp so we have sold our Plinius Ncore BelCanto gear and now the Fetzilla takes centre stage.
These PCB's don't deserve to sit gathering dust - it's a brilliant simple design. Build it with love and good components an it will pay you back with lovely sound.
Thanks to the designers for what was a great example of team work and to Hugh for his input and facilitation of the original PCB's.
I keep banging on about the Fetzilla but for the money it's a great fun build and is right up there in terms if SQ. It seems to punch above its 50w specs - we drive 87db stand mounts and I haven't been aware that we have driven to clipping yet.
I'm tempted to buy some more PCB's

Hi anybody needs ( in US will be preferable as I am in austin TX) for one set of Boards( 2 boards only) available as i did not find time to use this board due to many other issues
please PM me if you are interested
I bought these in the first group buy directly from Hugh !
thanks for your attention and sorry to nterrupt your chain of postings
kannan

John,
I've already have Hugh and the FetZilla designer their blessings to sell boards.What I ment by publish on the net is there were 4 groupsbuys of this amp but not many build.Maybe there were a lot more FetZillas build but not shown on the net.
You can use K1058-J162 I've done so myself and now gonna test it with a SMPS too.
I can provide you the small fets if you want.

Hi Patrick,
I am very interested in hearing your test using SMPS, I bought 2 250VA 26VAC R-core transformer for it, I have finished building my pair and just waitting to find a nice case to put it in and ready for some long term listening.

Today,I've tested my second FetZilla with a 300 Watt SMPS with 2x35Vdc.I can't say to hear any different sound.At high volume the SMPS stays rock steady at 35Vdc

Attachments

• FetZilla SMPS.png
    FetZilla SMPS.png
    63.6 KB · Views: 312
Yes I did,at first I didn't knew if it's going to work without smooting caps but it turned out very well.Next thing is adding some smooting caps at the SMPS output to see if this is altering something.

For best results, you should use SMPS directly connected to amplifier, all big smoothing capacitors should be removed or disconnected. But it is very important that SMPS capacitors are quality ones, especially those on the secondary side of SMPS transformer. These should be low ESR 105C, like FC, FM or FR all from Panasonic.

I have tested few Hypex SMPS and I can tell, that for me, there is no way back. No fuses, no DC relay in signal path, no annoying DC buzzing anymore :D

Last edited:
For best results, you should use SMPS directly connected to amplifier, all big smoothing capacitors should be removed or disconnected. But it is very important that SMPS capacitors are quality ones, especially those on the secondary side of SMPS transformer. These should be low ESR 105C, like FC, FM or FR all from Panasonic.

I have tested few Hypex SMPS and I can tell, that for me, there is no way back. No fuses, no DC relay in signal path, no annoying DC buzzing anymore :D

Yes ,you're right even the manufacture didn't recommend it to use extra smooting caps .

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.