Sweet little $15 Woofer/Midbass

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello fellow DIYers, Just wanted to offer a heads up on some sweet midbasses over at Parts Express. They ran these as a buyout before and I bought four of them. That was a long time ago, and I was suprised to see them back. Though I have had no project materialize from them yet, I have messed with them enough to know they are a great deal at $15(US) in quantities of 4 or more, $25ea if buying fewer than 4. Carbon fiber cones highlite these drivers. Originally used, or at least made for, Alesis' Active M1 MII Studio Monitors . Here is the PE link if anyone is interested . BTW I just ordered six more for myself, bringing my total to ten. I need more drivers like I need another hole in my head, at least according to my GF.

Attachments

• 299-164l.jpg
    299-164l.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 828
Have you measured one yet? I ordered 4 myself. I was guessing that they might have some nasty breakup similar to metal cones as Carbon Fiber has a very high Q.

I was thinking that they have decent bass output for their size and decent power handling, so, even without seeing the FR graph I could still guess that they would be good drivers for small "2.5" way speakers .

I'd be pleasantly surprised if they had a smooth top end, but since Alesis used them with an 8th order active crossover, I wouldn't count on them being good with lower order high crossover points without seeing some measured response graphs...

I wish Parts Express would stop having woofers for sale without the FR graphs :( I posted a request on their forum asking, I'll go see if I got any replies now...

MisterTwister said:
does this woofer have vented pole piece? if not, dustcap has to go :)
these seem to be muuch better deal.
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=299-818
they have nice vented frame and .17mH inductance.

Well, that one doesn't have a vented pole piece either, does it? And you're not going to want to "cut the dust cap" off of a one piece aluminum cone :p (there's no dust cap to cut off...) That does look like a very nice deal (cheap!). I like frames like that where there's going to be very little blockage / reflection of the back wave. However, I tend to not like metal cones / metal dome tweeters. I do think a metal cone is for the lower freq. drivers if you're going 3-way.

I would very much like to see FR graphs for both of these drivers.

I'm one of those people that believes in making the "mains" as good as possible, but the the only purpose of surrounds is for effects/directional cues so they could be far inferior without comprimising the system as a whole, so - this deal looks interesting for the surrounds: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=269-326

critofur said:
I'm one of those people that believes in making the "mains" as good as possible, but the the only purpose of surrounds is for effects/directional cues so they could be far inferior without comprimising the system as a whole, so - this deal looks interesting for the surrounds: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=269-326 .....

I actually bought some of those and was surprised at the construction.

:att'n: Not bad at all for the price, but be aware that all components (xo and drivers) are glued in place so it is not an easy task to take them off of that mounting plate. If you were thinking of doing that...

troystg said:

I actually bought some of those and was surprised at the construction.

:att'n: Not bad at all for the price, but be aware that all components (xo and drivers) are glued in place so it is not an easy task to take them off of that mounting plate. If you were thinking of doing that...

How about using them as in-wall speakers?

Did you listen to yours yet?

I was thinking I'd stick them as is on a small box for surround speakers.

edit: Oh ~ would it be convenient for you to post some more detailed pictures of them for us? And, how do the crossovers look? I imagine they use very cheap components? (thin wire inductors and small electrolytic caps?)

troystg said:
Pic 2

I have not listened to them, I bought them to put in junk boxes as garage speakers..

Needless to say they are still sitting in drawer on the shelf... :xeye:

Hehe, I've got plenty-o-drivers on my shelf(s) too :p Maybe they should be called "shelf space occupiers" as that seems to be the most common application for many of us.

I bet those 2 way cheap-o sets would be nice for making a little mp3 player jukebox used with a T-Amp.

edit: Oh - thanks for posting those pictures! :cool: Now I'm gonna have to not be lazy next time somebody asks me to do something like that :eek:

Cheap Plates...

The XO is a 12db for the TWT only, woof runs unrestrained. I bought a dozen of these, the reviews were very good, of course they all take into account the price. Nice upgrade over many factory sets. 100Hz is the bottom. They would do great garage duty for most, but if you are like me, one of your way nicer DIY systems is already pulling garage duty. I think anyone would be hard pressed to find a better value/deal on speakers of this nature. I replaced four factory sets with these in my GF's father's ride, he was stunned. Says he hears parts of tunes he never heard before. I gained a whole bunch of the highly valued and rarely awarded brownie points as a result.
BTW they are efficienct enough to be series'd for a bi/di-pole speaker(4ohms+4ohms) if you're into that.

critofur said:
edit: Oh - thanks for posting those pictures! :cool: Now I'm gonna have to not be lazy next time somebody asks me to do something like that :eek: .....

Sorry for the delay, just returned from a wonderful first date...

My Pleasure, I was happy to help out. I was planning on putting four units in the garage and wire them in series. But I have an old pair of compact monitors on a shelf that I never got around to replacing.

Lately I have been thinking of making them into a portable DJ type speaker (with a larger woofer of course) for the kids to play through as "band" spkrs..

Who knows, they'll prolly just continue to sit idle for another year or two.. :D

Good Stuff!!!

Greetings Troystg, First dates can be both TERRIFYING and Absolute BLISS! I am glad to hear that your's leaned toward the latter. I've been with the same Sweetheart for over fifteen years, so "first dates" are a distant but vivid memory for me. Both kinds remain vivid, the train wrecks and the wonderous occasions when everything was right with the Universe and a greater level of happiness could not be possible or even imagined. Over time, the "train wrecks" lose impact, while the WONDEROUS ones keep gaining strength.
No apologies are necessary or warranted. Let's face it...DIY projects, while important and significant to our happiness, totally pale in comparison to that which provides the foundation to our happiness....The love of a good mate. The warmth of not being alone surpasses virtually any fear a human can possess. It sounds to me like you are prioritizing correctly. I wish you nothing but success. -discreteouts

MisterTwister said:
ok, these are my tortured drivers.
distortion measurements for tweeter.

I think that tweeter does need it's wave guide to be left on, looking at the response measured.

Yes yes, let's go ahead and make them into a "boom box", don't delay! With the cheap price of a convenient battery powered T-Amp there's no excuse not to make this boom box :p Of course, I still have to order some of the driver sets for myself, I wonder how long they'll remain in stock...

Now I just have to make a baffle to test that buyout 6.5" Carbon Fiber Alessis woofer...

I have actually done something with those speakers. I made a pair of computer speakers, to go along with the Buyout PE Microsoft Xbox sub enclosure. Here is what it looks like.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I used a reconstituted teak veneer which I got on E-bay. I ended up it by sealing and finishing it with Dewaxed Orange Shellac. Shellac makes a wonderful finish.

Sound wise, it is pretty nice, but don't expect it to really get down there, unless you add bass with your controls. As a satellite speaker, it works nicely, and for less than $5 each, it is a good deal. I still have a couple lying around, in need of a project.

Now that you mention using these as satellite speakers, they should do very well. Remember, the sourround speakers are quite limited in freq response, and are there to add presense and depth, so extremely high or low response if not necessary.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.