Swan 101 and Fostex

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
After comparing various designs for the Fe103, I plan to try the Zigmahornet, just for fun, then, second, I should build a Swan 101 for the Fe103.

But, I'm just afraid that the Swan might be a lot of work and I just doubt that a 4" driver (with a 3" cone) can just do it in any normal room, then my question is: can this design be easily adapter for a more ambitious driver like the Fe168ES??

Thanks, Sylvain.

I think you would be suprised at the amount of music the 103 can put out in the Swan. It's quite hard to believe that so much music can come from such a little driver the first time you hear it. To answer your question though, there are other "Swan" designs for 6" drivers, I would use one of these instead of trying to redesign the Swan 101a.
Joe

swan

Josephjcole said:
there are other "Swan" designs for 6" drivers, I would use one of these instead of trying to redesign the Swan 101a.
Joe

Hi Joe,

Thanks for taking the time to answer.

I only ask to be surprised. :)

It's probably my living with 12" and 15" Tannoys that filled my mind with misconceptions..

Anyway, a great little speaker would be welcomed in my room, as there is not so much space, and I must say that the "full range" approach quite attracts me. I imagine it could be a nice little system, when mated to a little 45 parafeed Se amp that I equally plan to build soon. Too many projects, too little time..

Oh, and would you have such a plan for a 6" driver?

Sylvain

There are quite a few different swan designs.
Several each for 3" (D83, D88, D108, D109);
4" (at least 8 versions of the D101),
and at least one for 6" (D168) drivers.

I don't know of one specifically for the FE103 driver though.
Could modify a D101...

From what I understand the FE103 is the earliest of the 4"/40cm designs, and the FE108ES II is the most evolved.
I have a pair of 108 ESIIs breaking in on open baffles while building a pair of D101s cabinets.
I'm AMAZED at how good these tiny things sound! :D

The D168 was designed for the FE168SS, and it has been recommended/said to work well with FE166ES-R or FE168EZ.

and Nagaoka's books are available @ www.madisound.com/

robert :)

Edit:
sorry, andrewbee posted while i was writing this, i'll try to edit out some repetitious stuff... :xeye:

There are some designs for the FE103 which are referred to as the Cobra or King Cobra which use something very similar to the Fostex Spiral horn/ Cornu spiral horn layed flat on the floor with a long neck and head, kind of like a flattended bodied Swan. They are in the Fostex set of books as referred to by Robert.

Andrew

Andrewbee

Thanks folks for your answers to my questions, especially the links sent by Andrewbee to the Swans plans, though the "automated" translation from japanese is quite something.. ;)

Andrewbee, are you the one who published a Zigmahornet plan and pics on the net?

If yes, just email me direct: gigueresylvain@hotmail.com

I'll build a Zigma very soon, and then, the Swans. Just could not resist..

Sylvain
p.s. same for Nagaoka's book. Looks quite tempting.

Zigma club..

Thanks Andrew for your answer.

As posted before, I might begin with the Zigmahornet since the design seems easy to befriend by a beginer builder like me, and then, I'll sure give a try to the Swan later.

As well, the Zigma has a nice "allure" and a small foot print. Perfect for my room, each side of the tv, for watching film, or just for nice "chamber music" ;-) driven by a nice parafeed 45 Se amp.

So Andrew, thanks for your project at

http://melhuish.org/audio/DIYTQ12.html

It sure was a starter for me. By the way, do you think the Zigma could be easily adapted to the Fe108?

And who do you think has created the Zigmahornet? is it and design? It would be fun to start a Zigma fanclub... Count me in! ;)

Sylvain

http://audionova.nu/docs/KVARTSVAG.HTM
This is where it all started.

By the way, do you think the Zigma could be easily adapted to the Fe108?
No, it will not work, the FE103 works okay although it was originally designed for the FE103 Sigma which was discontinued some years ago.

It would be fun to start a Zigma fanclub

I do not know if it was as much as a fan club but there was I was told a Zigmahornet builders club.

Enjoy!

planet10 said:
i recently drew up some Zigmahornet plans... mail me if you want them, they are now too big to fit on the forum

dave

Just thought I'd let you know -I've been using those plans you posed last week. They were a Godsend; I'd been meaning to build a pair of these things for the past year but couldn't find a decent set of plans, and never got around to asking around. The driver's aren't broken in yet, but they still sound excellent -I was surprised at how good frankly.
On Friday, they will be winging their way to a friend's house to replace the loathsome plastic things that came with her midi system. She's always been a bit of a slave to fashion or 'style' (groan) so these ought to go down well. Better than the FE207E MLTLs I offered her at any rate (FAR too big. They never learn do they?)
Best
Scott

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Originally posted by Scottmoose
Just thought I'd let you know -I've been using those plans you posed last week

That is great...

Here it is again ... it is small enuff to fit now.

dave

Attachments

• zigmahornet-plan.gif
    zigmahornet-plan.gif
    15.4 KB · Views: 504
Has anybody else found the the FE103Es break in slightly unusual? They were sounding pretty good in the Zigma enclosures, though perhaps a little tight, when, I kid you not, the driver in the left enclosure suddenly seemed to relax over the space of about fifteen seconds. An hour later, the right-hand driver did the same, and everything stepped up a gear. I've never know drivers break in (or a major part of it) so abruptly before. I'll leave them playing for another day or so, but I've already decided: as these are departing to a friend's house, another pair will be constructed, and these aren't going anywhere. They'll work very well in the new attic retreat.

Thanks to the Zigmas friends...

Just a few words to thank all the friends here who brought answers to my questions. All is missing now is to gather some time (and a rainy day?) so that I can bring this project to life.

Oh, by the way, has anybody heard about a TQWT designed around a 12" Tannoy? could be fun too.

Sylvain

Re: Thanks to the Zigmas friends...

Sylver300B said:
Just a few words to thank all the friends here who brought answers to my questions. All is missing now is to gather some time (and a rainy day?) so that I can bring this project to life.

Oh, by the way, has anybody heard about a TQWT designed around a 12" Tannoy? could be fun too.

Sylvain

Are we talking about the [in]famous Dual Concentric drivers here? I've tried it, as it happens, with my Golds in a modified 8-foot tall Voigt Pipe. They weren't properly finished as I was just playing around, I just bought some 18mm MDF and glued and planed down to size. They worked quite well, though not really much better than the original Lancaster cabinets which I put them back into. Too big. It was different though.
:D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.