Survey of listening room sizes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Please list your listening room(s) dimensions (width x length x height). I'm collecting this information in order to do some statistics--which I intend to post once the sample population size is reasonable. The more data instances the better, so allow yourself to feel guilty enough to list your room information. It's win-win after all. :yes:

If you have any acoustic treatments list those too, and approximately where they're placed. Listening distance to your front loudspeakers/front wall is also of interest, so please include that if you have a preferred primary listening position.

For instance: my listening room is 4.7 x 12 x 2.7 metres (15.5 feet x 39.5 feet x 9 feet). I have two bass traps in the front corners behind the front loudspeakers - 0.6m x 1.2m x 10 cm (2' x 4' x 4") thick. I listen to the 5.2 array about 3-3.5 metres from the front wall.

Elsewhere around the front three loudspeakers, I have a total of 18 Sonofiber (recycled lint type) 2'x2' squares on the front/side walls to absorb early midrange reflections in order to improve imaging.

A picture for reference:

1177882490_ChrisAssetup-elevatedviewsmall.jpg.fd42600ab80683bdb9d641fa2af2ebfd[1].jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
My room is decribed in detail here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/blogs/planet10/493-fall-listening-space.html

The house was designed for hifi. Like adason's it has sloped ceilings… according to some room acoustics guys i have talked to that kind of ceiling dramatically reduces resonance issues.

The listening space is 16x24x(7-17) foot embedded in a more of less open 23x35 foot space with ~250 m^3 volume. Listening couch is 12-14' from the speakers. No specific treatment, only bookcases, record cases and a complex set of internal shapes.

dave

If I remember the dimensions correct its 11 1/2' x 14' or 15' x 8' rectangular room. acoustic treatments still in progress, and it should be just about tight as a drum when I'm through with it. I'm even going so far as to install a heavier solid exterior door along with new weather stripping kit to seal it up nice and tight. Set up centre along long wall it takes some finagling with back wall being just a couple (if that much) feet behind my ears but Im very happy with it so far.

The data that I'm looking for is room dimensions and listening distance to your front wall/front loudspeakers. System pictures are just lagniappe for the readers here.

I have about 30 inputs from another (smaller) forum that I intend to use in this survey. I had believed that out of the ~130 views of this thread that there would be more than 5 rooms mentioned...especially considering the size of this forum relative to the other one.

It would be nice to have at least 100 room sizes for the survey...and several times that figure would start to become statistically significant.

Chris

Ron, could you add your listening room size, too? Three numbers.

The total population count is 47 to date. I think there are a lot of folks that own smaller rooms that haven't yet reported. It would be nice to have more of these, too, to get a more accurate view. Please feel free to contribute--it only takes a moment.

Chris

Nightmare of a listening environment 6 years and still trying to get it right....
10 metre length
3 metre wide
2 . 5 metre high

Stone fireplace about a third of the way up the length, full length glass doors at each end .
Listening position ... speakers 2 metres apart right one about a foot from chimney brest and 30 cm from back wall on 60 cm stands . I sit about 2 metres from speakers which are angled in the classic triangle with the couch hard against the opposite wall in a slight recess approx 50 cm deep .

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.