• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Support for Botic Linux driver

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Enrico, then this might be also HW issue. Is there space to improve wiring in your setup? Can you post a photo?

If you do not want play DSD right now you can try also squeezebox/squeezelite. It keeps audio device open so no dropouts at start of the songs shall happen.

Miero, attached is a picture of the BBB with the S03. The configuration with the Cronus is the same but with only one 5V. I will be surprised if the problem is HW...

Just tought... There is any chance to check (through putty?) what's happen in the BBB when is playing? Maybe is possible to catch some error message?

I will squeezebox/squeezelite and let you know

Thanks,
Enrico

Attachments

• 20150602_185005.jpg
    20150602_185005.jpg
    577.7 KB · Views: 319
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Enrico, then this might be also HW issue. Is there space to improve wiring in your setup? Can you post a photo?

If you do not want play DSD right now you can try also squeezebox/squeezelite. It keeps audio device open so no dropouts at start of the songs shall happen.

Miero, I follow the "howToDo" for the squeezelite but at the last command I have the following fatal error:

root@botic:~# git clone https://code.google.com/p/squeezelite/
Cloning into 'squeezelite'...
fatal: unable to access 'https://code.google.com/p/squeezelite/': server certificate verification failed. CAfile: /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt CRLfile: none
root@botic:~#

Look like I can't complete the installation of squeezelite. Any though?

Joined 2010
Paid Member
yes, you do not have synchronized time...

fix it by running "ntpdate pool.ntp.org"

Thanks, I completed the installation of squeezelite and downloaded the squeezebox from logitech but he can't recognize the "player"... Is from logitech the correct one? I see that have others available

I also attached here the txt file of the squeezelite installation that I have done. There are some errors if you want to give a look even if the installation is complete.

I am still puzzled thinking that the song from the BBB is playing well while the same file from the ympd doesn't play as well

Attachments

• Squeezelite.txt
    24 KB · Views: 57
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Any version of Logitech Media Server should be OK.
Did you set the server IP address on SqueezeLite command line : squeezelite -s IP_of_server ?

I installed quickly squeezelite just because suggested by miero but I didn't know that I need also the Logitech Media Server.
Thanks for point out, I will try to understand better tomorrow... for me now is time to go in the bed, tomorrow will be a long working day

many thanks for your comments/reply. i will try it again (... and this time to the end! ;-) )
best regards

hi miero , hi frank,

now i installed everything again with help of a linux expert friend . beside that the following command failed, everything else went smooth and the volumio incl. wifi dongle boots and i have "botic" in the output device! :)

# this enables power management of Power button press ...
/source/boticize/03-enablepm.sh

problems:
- the usb hard drive is not mounted and therefore i can not update the music-lib.
- i have copied some tracks into the data folder and updated the music lib. the tracks are then shown in the lib and i can brows them, BUT nothing happened if i try to play them (they can not be shown in the playlist!) :-(

any idea or suggestions?
best regards

Hi, I assume that you use botic v3 - this one does not have compiled in support for USB drive.

Try to upgrade to v5 and try again. However you might still need to mount USB drive from command line.

Use blkid command to list available USB and mount correct partition into data subdirectory.

Hi, I assume that you use botic v3 - this one does not have compiled in support for USB drive.

Try to upgrade to v5 and try again. However you might still need to mount USB drive from command line.

Use blkid command to list available USB and mount correct partition into data subdirectory.

thanks for your reply.
i am already using botic v5. usually volumio mounts automatically all available storges incl. the usb hard drives. however, i will try to mount the usb drive manually.
i was wondering why i can not play even the music tracks that are in the data folder and are already updated and shown in the music lib.

regards

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Frank, SPDIF input is not possible with BBB.

It can only play sound and output/encode it as SPDIF stream (instead of I2S/DSD).

You should be able to play multichannel audio already now - I have tested this with 8 channels.

Thanks for the reply, Miero.

My primary goal is to a) use use BBB to create two identical stereo signals and then b) filter them using LADSPA plugins. First step is the channel routing.

I have tested Cronus with one teleporter -> Buffalo and the stereo performance is wonderful. Then I wired a second teleporter to Cronus, with the Bit clocks and word clocks shared at the same ports. D2 for the second DAC went to a separate line (the one served by R4). When I ran speaker-test -plughw:Botic -c 4 I found that the stereo pairs were split between the two DACs. Left side to one dac, right side to the other.

Any suggestions on either Cronus or ALSA configurations that could affect this routing? So far I have failed at using pcm.plugs in ALSA.config, and none of the published ALSA.config mods I tried has yet corrected the channels nor cloned the stereo signal correctly.

Second, any interest by others in opening a separate thread on the topic of 'ALSA configurations in Botic'? pcm.blahblahblah is such a syntax and documentation jungle for this noob! :eek:

Best, Frank

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Any version of Logitech Media Server should be OK.
Did you set the server IP address on SqueezeLite command line : squeezelite -s IP_of_server ?

Eventually I get the BBB working without any glitch and pops :up:

Pdeoliveira, your suggestion was the last step... Thanks!!!

Miero, thanks for your support on this issue... was a long story but at the end I can make it play.

With squeezelite I noticed that the volume is lower. I setup the Volume in the squeezebox at 100% but is still low... any suggestion?

Thanks again for your help and Regards,
Enrico

Ok, so I've got squeezelite to run on the BBB.
On the remote server, i.e. my desktop

I also tried Linns/Kazoo and it just seems to sit
there with the circle spinning and noting else?

Looking into trying DLNA but those attempts
also fail.
squeezelite -o hw:CARD=Botic,DEV=
That should be the way the startup.sh should look . Please remove all other devices .

I tried playing some DSD (both .dff and .dsf) through my Buffalo IIs and just got a lot of crackling.

Any ideas how to fix?

The DSD and PCM signals are sourced to different pins of P9 header on BBB. If there is no problem with PCM play, then you might want to check the possibility of dry or incomplete joint soldering that might be remaining between the BBB and Hermes board. The DSD signal is more susceptible to incomplete pin/wire connection and grounding. Just my two cents.