• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Support for Botic Linux driver

What should I do to install botic on stretch successfully?
TIA,

I will wait (couple of days) for official launch of debian stretch and new stretch image.:)
I returned to latest debian jessie for beaglebone (image from 26.02) and installed 4.8.13-botic7-rc3 kernel. I observe relatively high CPU usage during playback with sox integer upsampling 192kHz.
I wanted to check cpufreq-info and receive:
Code:
root@beaglebone:~# cpufreq-info
cpufrequtils 008: cpufreq-info (C) Dominik Brodowski 2004-2009
Report errors and bugs to [EMAIL="cpufreq@vger.kernel.org"]cpufreq@vger.kernel.org[/EMAIL], please.
analyzing CPU 0:
  no or unknown cpufreq driver is active on this CPU
  maximum transition latency: 0.00 ms.
I have got installed the newst cpufreq-set packets. How to enable cpufreq driver?
Regards,
bern

Hi guys!
I use volumio-2.036-2016-12-04 img with 4.8.11-botic7-rc2, it plays PCM very well .But as I understood this build can't play a native DSD format, only DoP, unfortunately my DAC can't play DoP. Of course, I play DSD with YMPD and botic v.3, it sounds great, but client YMPD is less convenient than Volumio. Is there a build with Volumio and any version of botic which plays native DSD and can output signal directly, not through USB? I will be very grateful for your help.
Regards,
Andrew

I have another question. I'm running on a Beaglebone Black with Hermes/Cronus combo. The BBB is running on the 4.8.13-rc3 botic image from Miero's site.

I cloned github.com/miero/lirc-bbb and I'm having problems compiling.

MAKE PREPARE failed and I assumed it's because the GCC compiler is outdated so I loaded up another BBB image that's running Debian Stretch.

I can get through MAKE PREPARE but I encounter an error on MAKE.

The compiler complains about a pointer type mismatch and quits.

I'm using the 4.8.13-botic7-rc3 kernel.

Can someone suggest what the problem might be or is there a pre-compiled version of this driver I can use?

I have another question. I'm running on a Beaglebone Black with Hermes/Cronus combo. The BBB is running on the 4.8.13-rc3 botic image from Miero's site.

I cloned github.com/miero/lirc-bbb and I'm having problems compiling.

MAKE PREPARE failed and I assumed it's because the GCC compiler is outdated so I loaded up another BBB image that's running Debian Stretch.

I can get through MAKE PREPARE but I encounter an error on MAKE.

The compiler complains about a pointer type mismatch and quits.

I'm using the 4.8.13-botic7-rc3 kernel.

Can someone suggest what the problem might be or is there a pre-compiled version of this driver I can use?
Have you installed linux-headers for 4.8.13-botic7-rc3?

Joined 2007
Paid Member
I was able to get IRW to return results..

So now that LIRC works, I'm going to see if I can somehow integrate this into a Python program to pass values to ES9018 registers to control volume.

This should be very achievable. Python is forgiving for those of us who don't work with it frequently and there is a good body of help online at stack.overflow, etc. I suggest selecting one version of python and then sticking with it. I'm back on 2.7 because "updates" somehow disabled some of my code.

I don't use lirc but do control volume and other es9018 functions using python code and a mobile device app. Via GPIO it also controls BBB input and output paths and the player programs that are executed for each operating mode. It is set up to individually balance volume for 3 separate DAC chips. You are welcome to use any parts of the code that you like: https://github.com/francolargo/BBB-audio/blob/master/netio_server.py

If you have questions, direct them to a different thread: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/twisted-pear/281776-control-bbb-based-audio-appliances-6.html
Disclaimer: I'm not a programmer! :eek:

Cheers,

Frank

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Well, I've done myself in once again.
While trying to get a remote music library to mount from a PC
I was getting security rejections and was trying various
CIFS security settings and the last one I tried locked up
the BBB so I couldn't puTTY to it. :(

Is it possible to load/flash DEBIAN onto the BBB and then
login to DEB and then issue commands to go directly to botic v7

i.e.-------

wget http://repo.ieero.com/botic/pool/ma...age-4.5.0-botic7-rc1_4.5-botic7-rc1_armhf.deb

dpkg -i linux-image-4.5.0-botic7-rc1_4.5-botic7-rc1_armhf.deb

add line >dtb=am335x-boneblack-botic.dtb< to file /boot/uEnv.txt
then sync, and poweroff ????

Because I've already tried it four times and each time I restart BBB
all I get is a solid blue led (D2) on!? :confused:

Should I try loading botic V4 with DEB and then update to botic V5
and the update to botic V7 rc1???

Thanks,
ICHI

Joined 2007
Paid Member
@ichiban,
If you are clear what action you took that caused the system to become unresponsive, the easiest solution is simply to reverse that action. Simply boot the BBB from whatever memory source you did NOT use before. That is, if your boticized system is on the uSD card, remove it to boot from emmc and then put the card back in - or if your broken system was on emmc, install a uSD card with any working system. Now boot and once you can get in via putty, mount the memory that is not able to boot the system. Go to the files that you accidentally corrupted and reverse your changes. Shut down and go back to original configuration before booting.

Here is an example of some of the commands for mounting the otherwise inactive memory so you can edit: https://hifiduino.wordpress.com/2014/03/19/beaglebone-black-accessing-usd-and-usb-storage/

This will be WAY faster than starting from scratch, IMHO!

Cheers,

Frank

Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
@ichiban,
If you are clear what action you took that caused the system to become unresponsive, the easiest solution is simply to reverse that action.
This will be WAY faster than starting from scratch, IMHO!
Cheers,
Frank

Thank you for the reply :).
Unfortunately I've attempted the Debian load and wget/install
at least four times already. Also, tried a Debian load followed
by botic v5 load to eMMc.
So, the original fault in eMMC is long gone.