Supply chain broken?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My apologies, do you mean how the virus initially infected humans?

If so, the answer is, we don't fully know yet. Early reports from researchers in China argued that the source could be a Pangolin, a scaly, ant-eating animal commonly sold in illegal markets in China. However, further sequence analysis suggests otherwise.
Mystery deepens over animal source of coronavirus

Basically, we are gathering samples from animals either living near or sold directly in China's markets. From these samples we are using PCR and genetic sequencing to test for the presence of SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19 (or for a virus very close to it). Although the initially tested region (the RNA binding domain) of the pangolin virus was 99% identical to the SARS-CoV-2, the rest of the pangolin virus is only about 90% identical. This is definitely not close enough to say that the virus spread directly from butchering Pangolins.

For comparison, the SARS outbreak of 2002 is thought to have originated in Civets, a small, cat-like animal. The genetic sequence of the virus isolated in Civets was found to be 99.8% identical to SARS. We have not yet found any animal or sample with a virus that close to the current outbreak. As such, we do not yet know what animal was originally harboring the virus.
Thanks very much for the reply. And no apologies please. In fact you are giving very helpful and precise information which is so much required. Mostly I think when such events occure with abundant information, diligence, discipline, hardwork, medical resources and coperation(Between nations and within) such situation can be controlled.
Thanks again and best wishes.

From NLTIMES.NL

The coronavirus epidemic in China is affecting more recreational activities than cruises and travels. Veendam company EDC Retail, which claims to be the European market leader in the erotic toy industry, warns that there will be a shortage of sex toys by April if the situation around Covid-19 doesn't change, ANP reports.

The Chinese factory that produces for EDC Retail is currently running at around a third of its normal capacity because most of its workers have to stay at home. Suppliers are also running into problems, due to lower production. "The production of items such as vibrators, XXX plugs and erotic games, as well as that of packaging is stagnating," the company said to the news wire.

Transport is also basically at a standstill, EDC Retail said. Goods transport by ship is currently almost impossible, and transport by cargo plane is much more expensive.

Yes, Kevin is correct. In general, we use 70 percent ethanol I the laboratory to kill most viruses (and bacteria and funguses as well). Isopropyl alcohol works slightly better but is slightly more toxic to breath too. That is also why the majority of hand sanitizers are sufficient as well. There are better ones out there as mondo and gimp suggested that contain fancy soaps, but alcohol should more than effective for what we need it to do.

Is ozone effective in high concentration?
Un-occupied spaces of course.

Now that's an interesting question for a number of reasons. The short answer is, I'm not entirely sure.

Ozone is O3, as opposed to common atmospheric oxygen that is O2. It is one of the most potent oxidizers we know of and is the reason it could be considered an antibiologic. It kills pathogens not because it is specifically lethal, but because it is a chemical hammer of a sorts. It oxidizes proteins, lipids, RNA, DNA, etc similarly to bleach.

So, i would be very surprised if ozone didn't kill the new coronavirus. However, I don't have the faintest idea what concentration or time would be required. And that also doesn't take into account very important considerations. Kill the virus where? On a surface? In a solution? Airborne, free viral particles? What temp, humidity, etc? That said, what is true for other similar viruses would probably be effective, but I am unfamiliar with any real research done on the matter.

Another important question is, why? We have many many ways to kill viruses, and I can't imagine a circumstance where ozone saturation would be preferable to air filtration, bleach, alcohol, soap, uv light, heat. If you don't mind my asking, what were thinking of?

I happen to work for a company that provides stock quotes and research, It has been a busy week for me as far as ensuring things work.

Anyway there is one thing I do not think we have digested as far as market news.
In China, they realized that men were mostly affected by the virus. You then just have to realize that 60% of the men smoke while 2% of the women smoke.
We as far as the US export a whole lot of tobacco to China. I can see see that market quickly drying up and we get a somewhat larger trade deficit. It has been bad enough with a large drop in soybean sales.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I saw somewhere that the virus is more lethal to women. However I'm not sure there is enough good data to be confident in claims like that.

Personally I think the only use for tobacco is as a pesticide.

Still this thread on an obscure web site that has very little to do with epidemiology has had by far the most useful and complete info on the virus.

Now that one American in the US has died the pressure and sense of panic will intensify making rational information harder to find. Worse our fearless leaders will need to DO SOMETHING no matter how pointless and dangerous it may actually be.

My experience with Ozone generators has not been good. They are promoted to remove odors. They were not useful for cat ****. . . Meanwhile the ozone had reached an almost dangerous level to be around.

I see the UV lamps often in healthcare facilities. Do they work? How do they work off in a corner near the ceiling?

I saw somewhere that the virus is more lethal to women. However I'm not sure there is enough good data to be confident in claims like that.

Personally I think the only use for tobacco is as a pesticide.

Still this thread on an obscure web site that has very little to do with epidemiology has had by far the most useful and complete info on the virus.

Now that one American in the US has died the pressure and sense of panic will intensify making rational information harder to find. Worse our fearless leaders will need to DO SOMETHING no matter how pointless and dangerous it may actually be.

My experience with Ozone generators has not been good. They are promoted to remove odors. They were not useful for cat ****. . . Meanwhile the ozone had reached an almost dangerous level to be around.

I see the UV lamps often in healthcare facilities. Do they work? How do they work off in a corner near the ceiling?

The virus is more deadly to men for sure based on all available data. That does mainly come from China where many men smoke. Smoking increases expression of ACE2 which is what the spike protein binds to, so it’s a bit difficult to say if it affects men more than women or just smokers more than nonsmokers. It would not be the first virus to hit men harder. Estrogen has a protective effect in several infectious diseases, so it’s not surprising.

I think the panic may justified and the people downplaying this as the flu are misleading. The mortality rate is not the only issue - it’s how many people become severely ill and require ventilators or ECMO. If the stats here mirror China we are in for a rough ride. Healthcare workers will be hit hard and it could be devastating to those over 60. Keep in mind that some SARS survivors have had permanent lung damage as well.

Good question!!! I can't overstate how happy your question makes me; it means that non-scientists are asking the right things. Most of the questions I've received on the subject are depressingly naive and/or rascist.

On a vaccine for this; do you have a gut feeling if it’ll be successful? I thought I remembered reading that previously tested SARS-CoV vaccines had limited success in mice, including one study where the mice developed lung pathology on challenge despite not getting infected. Hopefully it’s not like Dengue Fever where there is this antibody dependent enhancement effect making reinfection more serious.

The virus is more deadly to men for sure based on all available data. That does mainly come from China where many men smoke. Smoking increases expression of ACE2 which is what the spike protein binds to, so it’s a bit difficult to say if it affects men more than women or just smokers more than nonsmokers. It would not be the first virus to hit men harder. Estrogen has a protective effect in several infectious diseases, so it’s not surprising.

I think the panic may justified and the people downplaying this as the flu are misleading. The mortality rate is not the only issue - it’s how many people become severely ill and require ventilators or ECMO. If the stats here mirror China we are in for a rough ride. Healthcare workers will be hit hard and it could be devastating to those over 60. Keep in mind that some SARS survivors have had permanent lung damage as well.

The smoking issue is interesting. I wonder if anyone working closely with this particular disease can shed any light on the subject.

I have to wonder if I should go to the big liquor store and get a few cases of Corona beer for cheap.
Maybe not, it does not taste that good.

I only drink Corona. It tastes similar to the original Dixie beer of New Orleans.

Attachments

• UFObooze.jpg
    UFObooze.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 188
seantkezm:
I had in mind HVAC systems that require a fast turn around disinfect such as in public transportation.
Have been reading on this and yes O3 was used successfuly on SARS along with many other viruses. Studies go back to 1900.
The challenge is an engineering one and is not too difficult.
Soak time for surface SARS was two hours at 2000ppm. So an airliner could be serviced in four hours. One hour to pump, two for soak and one for flush.
Of course a materials study would be required to insure no damage to aircraft components.
An added benefit is the fact O3 is effective on insects too.
Ie bedbugs and lice.

Did I mention all of my packages have been delivered from mainland China.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.