Supertweeter with M-L CLX

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Bought a pair of Taket supertweeters (STs) that have a frequency response of 20kHz to 100kHz to supplement the high frequency output of the Martin Logan CLXs which go to 23kHz.
However the STs have a Sensitivity of 70dB vs the 90dB of the CLX.
To integrate the STs, it was recommended that I use an integrated amp between my preamp and the STs in order to set a base level which would then track the CLX volume as set by the preamp.
Other than finding an integrated amp with a frequency response on the order of 100kHz, is there a way to estimate what amp power I would need to adequately compensate for the 20dB lower Sensitivity of the STs?

Hi,

Off the bat I'd say your wasting your time, if your talking about the Beepure/Batpure.

Any effect, used as intended, simply wired across the speaker is suggestive.

spec.gif

Quote : "The effect is appeared even in the speaker of efficiency 100dB/1m."

The above of course is utter nonsense.

FWIW with a limit of 150V no way can you make an amplifier
with 20dB more gain with 75V rails that won't be clipping all
over the place without advanced high pass active filtering.

Its clear what it does. You wire it across your speakers
and convince yourself things have improved. Its a con.

rgds, sreten.

Last edited:
Bought a pair of Taket supertweeters (STs) that have a frequency response of 20kHz to 100kHz to supplement the high frequency output of the Martin Logan CLXs which go to 23kHz.
However the STs have a Sensitivity of 70dB vs the 90dB of the CLX.
To integrate the STs, it was recommended that I use an integrated amp between my preamp and the STs in order to set a base level which would then track the CLX volume as set by the preamp.
Other than finding an integrated amp with a frequency response on the order of 100kHz, is there a way to estimate what amp power I would need to adequately compensate for the 20dB lower Sensitivity of the STs?

hmm you cant even hear 23Khz. no human can. also there is not enough air moved to feel anything so whats the use ?

p.s doubling of power equals +3dB

so for 1 watt on the martin logan equals

2 watt +3 dB= 73
4 watt +3 db= 76
8 watt +3 db= 79
16 watt +3 db= 82
32 watt +3 db= 85
64 watt +3 db= 88
128 watt +3 db= 91dB

well 128 watts but only when you play the martin at 1 watt :) haha make it 10 and you end up with 1280 watt :) for your tweeter you cant hear

Last edited:
Hi,

FWIW though I think its utterly pointless said tweeter is > 4Kohm impedance.

At 150V peak to peak max that equates to a rather pathetic < 3W.

If I was going for it, a bespoke OTL valve amplifier would be
my choice, but I'm sure it could be done with transistors.

Thing is, if your main amplifiers can swing say +/- 40V,
then there is no hope of realistically making up 20dB,
6dB higher hits +/- 80V, and it gets worse the
higher the power output of your main amplifiers.

rgds, sreten.

Last edited:
hmm you cant even hear 23Khz. no human can. also there is not enough air moved to feel anything so whats the use ?

p.s doubling of power equals +3dB

so for 1 watt on the martin logan equals

2 watt +3 dB= 73
4 watt +3 db= 76
8 watt +3 db= 79
16 watt +3 db= 82
32 watt +3 db= 85
64 watt +3 db= 88
128 watt +3 db= 91dB

well 128 watts but only when you play the martin at 1 watt :) haha make it 10 and you end up with 1280 watt :) for your tweeter you cant hear

What got me started on this was the paper...
There's life above 20 kilohertz! A survey of musical instrument spectra to 102.4 kHz

Studies have been done that suggest that there is an effect of ultrasonic frequencies on those with the human audible range. One such is...
PLOS ONE: Frequencies of Inaudible High-Frequency Sounds Differentially Affect Brain Activity: Positive and Negative Hypersonic Effects

If you read the promotional information of the various commercially available supertweeters, this effect is also noted. A respected equipment (not speakers) manufacturer friend of mine indicates to me that he feels that something is missing when he listens without supertweeters.

On the flip (of frequency) side, many audiophiles use subwoofers that go subsonic even though these frequencies cannot be heard. Those running supertweeters report that supersonics are similarly felt if not actually heard. While generally accepted "tribal knowledge" is that bass frequencies below 60Hz cannot be localized, studies have shown that this number is actually more like 30Hz.

It appears to be less a matter of hearing these frequencies themselves but how they impact those within the audible range.

That being said, I appreciate that an amp of sufficient power will be required though I can say that I confirmed the contribution of the supertweeters albeit at frequencies of approx 15-20kHz using typical listening level settings on my preamp.

Hi,

You can confirm they make some noise below 20KHz, but cannot
convince me at "about" 70dB they do anything actually useful.
An amplifier of sufficient voltage swing to make up 20dB of gain
will simply fry them due to overvoltage, it just won't sensibly fly.

A step transformer is a good idea, however it will fry them.

rgds, sreten.

Last edited:
The piano has the A (LA) note of 27,5 Hz. Organ goes more down(around 8Hz).
On the upper notes piano goes 4200Hz. Up to 2kz is plenty of room for other sounds or instruments.
I also wait for a pair of superweeter to see any difference.
You can use an online tonegenerator to see what you can hear or not.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.