Super Pensil 12 build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
New poster, frequent reader. I have built two sets of Super Pensils. They are fantastic once burned in.

As Dave said, you definitely want to brace them. I would also add acoustical insulation to walls, where you can. You don't need wool felt, something like pink R-20 batt insulation works fine.

A neat, cheap addition that will add a lot for very little (who doesn't like that?) are sorbothane hemisphere decoupling feet. The trick is selecting the correct load from the ordering chart that maximizes the lowest durometer rating (30 duro). You also want to have them near fully loaded, or they won't do anything. Some physics jargon I can't fully explain... Read this thread for more info:

An inexpensive speaker tweak that works! - Gearslutz

I use ceramic spikes on one of my sets, and it's also nice but ridiculously expensive. I got mine for cheap from a buddy that owns a hifi shop. I definitely prefer to have my Super Pensils off the floor...

All the best, and I doubt you'll be disappointed with your SPs...

This what I have come up, mostly out of necessity due to the fact that I have hardwood floors.
The felt under the pucks allow me to move them easily (the speakers I am currently running are 48" tall, not sure on the weight, you do not want to lift it yourself.
I can level them ( I am a carpenters son, true to the world means a lot).
Cost for me around $100.00.

Attachments

• IMG_20200420_213450648.jpg
    IMG_20200420_213450648.jpg
    807.6 KB · Views: 376
Well finally got back to this project and got all of my panels cut, using Baltic Birch.
After doing my panels the only question I have is the the two side brace heights.
Do not know if it is really critical or not but the original plans did not give a dimension.
Looks to me like they are in the 24" inch tall range, good to go?

Well finally got back to this project and got all of my panels cut, using Baltic Birch.
After doing my panels the only question I have is the the two side brace heights.
Do not know if it is really critical or not but the original plans did not give a dimension.
Looks to me like they are in the 24" inch tall range, good to go?

Yeah, 24" looks about right. Here's a pic of mine showing the bracing.

jeff

Attachments

• A12.2p SP open back small.jpg
    A12.2p SP open back small.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 306
WoVe,

My understanding is that the felt like insulation material that you have shared the linked for can be used for "lining" the inside of the cabinet, and can be useful for bass reflex type cabinets. For a TL or MLTL cabinet (the Pensil is a MLTL variant), you need the loose poly-fill stuffing, preferably Dacron hollow fill. The poly-fill can be sourced from craft stores or even taken out of pillows. I have attached an image from Google search for your reference - when installing in the cabinet you will need to "tease" this out so that it is more fluffy.

With the lining material you can use a few pieces on the sides and back wall near the driver, to absorb "early reflections", but you still need to use the poly-fill material.

Attachments

• Dacron holofil image 03.jpg
    Dacron holofil image 03.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 336
Last edited:
Thank you Dave. I actually have a some of that material too - used it in a P10 Half-Tower MLTL build and it worked out well.

The link WoVe posted has an image of a material that looked more compact and dense, like a felt. I guess it would be more difficult to tease that out. :)

I’d avoid T-nuts like the plague -use externally threaded inserts if you don’t want to trust the screws.
Over the beater part of a dozen years, I’d installed literally scores of Mark Audio drivers in a vast array of enclosures - sometimes swapping out multiple times in the same boxes and always found the supplied screws quite sufficient to the task. If you take a close look at them, the shank is constant diameter and the thread is deeper and coarser than many wood screws - with a properly sized pilot hole and careful pre-tapping, they work quite well in BB plywood.
If concerned about thickness of core remaining after rebating for flush mounting, I’d add another layer of the same material to the area of the driver before machining the through hole, and don’t forget to chamfer the rear side of the cut-out.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.