Super Cheap DVD players

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Super Cheap dvd player

I know . Iknow . Denon dv 1910 . I changed the 33uf 400v in the power supply by a Black Gate 100uf 350v and the 1n4007 rectifiers by 1200v SiC Schottkys and it is my CD / DVD player .
My TT22(Genalex) SE AMP by Jean Hiraga powers everything to TDL boxes with KEF200BG drivers .I can assure you all that the earthshaking sound at 20/30 hz is present . No need for huge wattage , bass exagerated , unreal in most of the cases surround .

Merry Christmas for you all folks

Martinho Adao
Anyone know of any cheap player with DVI out that can be modified to sound ok?

I'm suprised that a cheap DVD as this, can perform so good.
The DAC used is the Wolfson WM8746

Cheap but it looks intelligently laid out: Power supply on one side, transport in the center and DAC circuits + analog output on the other side. Lots of space between each module suggests that the designer remebered that air and the inverse square law make for pretty good yet virtually cost free shielding. The metal enclosure looks like it meets the most important requirements: some degree of shielding from the outside (if the plastic face plate has a metal lining we can't - better still), protection from curious fingers, a structure to hold the modules and provide connection and human interface.

The PCB look well constructed.

Last I heard the Wolfson IC was nothing to snear at.

In a lot of arenas, you can get surprising value for your money if you prioritize and focus on the essentialls while setting aside the foofaroo.

Hi,

How's the market for cheap dvd players now, outside France?
Here, cheap (50€) DVD players are being replaced by DVD/Divx players at the same price, that's :bigeyes:

For that price, you have a player that reads CDs, DVDs, Divxs, VCD, SVCD, and sometimes DVDa! Some even have 5.1 outputs (often DD, some DTS too), RBG, composite, component (YUV) YC outputs, even VGA sometimes!

Most of them are based on a Mediatek chip (I even think it's a standard motherboard, from the pictures I've seen)
Hifizen mentionned this brand, do you know more about it? The chip is a MT1389. I've found a pinout, but no datasheet. Maybe someone can help.

http://1389.zewan.com/pics/MT1389DE_pinout.gif

They seem to be a good base for modding.
Some teams developped custom firmwares, enabling dts support, dvda... maybe enabling the vga and dvi outputs is possible, with a modified firmware and some added hardware.

Alex

Suggestions for a cheap multiregion player in the US?

Hi everyone and thanks in advance for any suggestions;

Some time ago I posted my skepticism about the quality of low buck DVD/CD players. I stand corrected and have eaten my words (with a side order of fries). Cheap isn't necessarily bad at all in today's world of consumer electronics.

So, are there any cheap multiregion players that you can recommend (preferably with a 100V-240VAC switching power supply so I can use it anywhere)? Also, where would I find "player X" for sale?

All suggestions are welcome!

Thanks again and HAPPY HOLIDAYS EVERYONE! :)
Morse

Re: Suggestions for a cheap multiregion player in the US?

Morse said:
Hi everyone and thanks in advance for any suggestions;

So, are there any cheap multiregion players that you can recommend (preferably with a 100V-240VAC switching power supply so I can use it anywhere)? Also, where would I find "player X" for sale?

All suggestions are welcome!

Thanks again and HAPPY HOLIDAYS EVERYONE! :)
Morse

I'm with you.. I'd love some suggestions as well. It's the holiday season, and that means our bloated american consumerism will result in lots of inexpensive finds if we look in the right places.

I'd love to find a good DVD player to pair up with my m-audio superdac... Can anyone out there give me any pointers?

Just a small bit of info for our foreign friends.. I've seen Apex DVD players for as little as $34 at Walmart. Best buy had numerous brands (Technics, Toshiba, RCA and some others) on sale for $35-60.

I always thought one of those Apex units would make a cute transport... But, if I can spend a few extra $$ and get something better, I'm willing to do so. I'm very into planet-10's(?) "frugalphile" philosophy =)

In the digital realm, speed (sample rate) and resolution (word size) are 45% of the whole deal. Software is another 45%. The first obeys Moore's law. The second behaves like any software - a high develeopment cost divided by the number of users. Both drive cost doen wiyhout sacrificing performance. The remaining 10% is the analog part between the DAC and the RCA output connectors.

This is MY opinion and world view -- others may see it differently.

Hi motherone;

>>>...Just a small bit of info for our foreign friends.. I've seen Apex DVD players for as little as $34 at Walmart...<<<

Speaking of Walmart, I bought a Polaroid PDV-0701A there the other day for $125 (!) - with it's 7" 16x9 screen, that's a find!

Now, I have to get a remote for it (that's the fly in the ointment - no remote :( ); it looks like the one from the PDV-0700 should work (fingers are crossed - I've yet to find a "universal" remote that worked on the Polaroids) since it looks like the manufacturer just put the 0700 in a cheaper case and didn't include the remote.

Supposedly there's a code that works on the PDV-0700 from the preferences page of the setup menu to enable multiregion capability. Similarly, I've read that most DVD players have such features - hidden away, to keep the software makers happy. I'd love to find a page of "enabling" codes, since I do NOT want to have to maintain multiple DVD players (one for purchases in Japan and one for my pre-existing US library).

Thanks for the tip on the Apex!

All the best and HAPPY HOLIDAYS EVERYONE! :)
Morse

Morse said:
Hi motherone;

Similarly, I've read that most DVD players have such features - hidden away, to keep the software makers happy. I'd love to find a page of "enabling" codes, since I do NOT want to have to maintain multiple DVD players (one for purchases in Japan and

Morse

http://www.videohelp.com/

The links on the navigation bar on the left should be a good place to start. Helped me find the trick so my daugher could see Asian region CDs on our VCR while taking Chinese. Pretty interesting watching Snow White and 101 Dalmations in Mandarin. Fun to see what voices they chose for the characters.

Morse said:
Hi motherone;

Speaking of Walmart, I bought a Polaroid PDV-0701A there the other day for $125 (!) - with it's 7" 16x9 screen, that's a find!

Supposedly there's a code that works on the PDV-0700 from the preferences page of the setup menu to enable multiregion capability. Similarly, I've read that most DVD players have such features - hidden away, to keep the software makers happy. I'd love to find a page of "enabling" codes, since I do NOT want to have to maintain multiple DVD players (one for purchases in Japan and one for my pre-existing US library).

Thanks for the tip on the Apex!

Morse

My girlfriend and I picked up the same one for $149 at bestbuy about a month ago. I'll have to look in to the region stuff on it. Thanks for the heads up!

Hi Motherone;

Go to http://www.epinions.com/content_152393191044 for the details on how the multiregion capability is supposed to work. Please let me know if it works as the author claims! I'm considering tracking down a remote for my PDV-0701 and try the code on it...but won't waste the $$ if it turns out to be a red herring.

Happy Holidays!! :)
Morse

hehe, just bought myself one of these players..
dont have a TV anymore, but it'l just serve as a cd player until i can get my hands on a proper cd player. preferably a old sony.. i'v seen a lot of theese going at a resonable price recently..

guess i'l fire up teh weller and give "andersons tekniske import" a call ;)

i'l be back when i'v listned to the thing.

-marius

Hi Carlmart;

The PDV-0701A does NOT include a remote control; however, it APPEARS that it has an IR receiver built into the unit to interface with a remote control (shining a flashlight through the plastic IR port, it looks that way to me anyway...). Also, the PDV-0701A has menus (like the "parental control" feature) that imply that it can take in information from a remote control (you would need to be able to input a code # from a remote to use this feature - and if you go to the "parental control" submenu, it WILL ask for a code #).

Before I got this month's VISA bill, I was all set to order up a remote for a PDV-0700 and see if I could access the alleged multiregion capability. As it is, I'm going to wait until late next month....

All the best,
Morse

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.