Suggestion for the best cone for 150-3000 Hz range.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi judyb
I really don't spend my energy in a p***ing match with you OK.
If the poster wants me to explain my statements, I will be glad to with him. I do not think you are really interested in what I have to say about speakers at this point. I stand by my previous statements as it is.
Peace out

For a design with more of a strict budget, I'd be curious about the Fane Sovereign 6-100. From the measurements below, it's a surprisingly clean driver, BUT.. that dip around 1.5 KHz kinda kills it. I wonder what's causing it? A suspension resonance maybe?? Anyway, it's like $37. For 200-2000 Hz, it'd probably be quite a bargain for that price..

http://www.prodance.cz/protokoly/Fane_Sovereign_6-100.pdf
http://www.eminence.com/images/azox/Fane_pdfs/sovereign6-100.pdf

And if you think it looks very similar to the Eminence Alpha 6, well.. they're definitely not the same driver, that's for sure! For comparison purposes..

http://www.prodance.cz/protokoly/Alpha_6.pdf

Funny thing is, I believe MSRP on the Alpha 6 is actually $1-$2 more than the Sovereign 6-100. Yep, $35-$40 each. There's a B&C driver with very similar performance, actually worse in some areas with a horrible breakup.. for well over $100 each. Ummm.. I think I'll take the Fane, lol.

Agreed, I've noticed that too. As for T/S parameters, you're right, they're usually closer than that.. especially Eminence, and I'm pretty sure Eminence had a hand in that line of drivers, or maybe all of Fane drivers.. especially since they're distributing them in the US.. From the main page, "Eminence is now the Exclusive Distributor for Fane in the US". All of Fane's spec sheets are very similar to those from Eminence, too. As for the measurements.. although T/S parameters are usually pretty accurate (not in this case tho), the Eminence graphs are usually very smoothed and often completely different from what I've found, but not always. I usually don't pay much attention to their graphs though. If you compare measurements from that Czech website to other manufacturer's spec sheets, like B&C for instance, they're usually a lot more similar. With Eminence tho, only some slight resemblances can kinda sorta be seen with other measurements. I've never really understood it either, but it obviously makes a lot of the drivers look better than they are.

Anyway, I realize that 6.5" Fane probably wouldn't be considered in a thread with "Suggestion for the best cone" in the title, but I just happened to be looking at it again when I saw this thread popped back up. Quite a few people around here have messed with the Alpha 6, this one might be quite a bit better though. Also, the top end could likely be improved further with the addition of a phase plug. And it'd be really easy to do without a mess left on the cone since the dust cap is mounted on the former like that. Maybe that dip at 1.5k could be improved a bit too, but I wouldn't hold my breath.. that is, if that dip really exists, and I'm pretty sure it does.

I've often pondered the idea of getting a couple of these to toy around with and see what kind of performance can be had from them on such a budget. I just might do that soon. Might make a neat little bang-for-the-buck 3-way. Loudspeakersplus.com in the US sells them.

thadman said:
The TD6.5M looks rather interesting

Wow! What an ugly driver. It must sound great for sure! The specs look great for a midrange used from 200Hz to 3kHz (or beyond, probably even without a low-pass filter at all). Low mass and well-dampened cone with low Le and copper plated pole piece tends to sound really detailed and dynamic. I think I will try one with the pulp cone and Nomex former.

Very good midrange: Fostex F108ESigma

Crossover design is not always simple: Let say that at 3kHz you have the midrange with 90dB and tweeter has also 90dB. You think it is OK? I think not. Because tweeter has 88db when hearing from 45deg angle, woofer will have maybe 84dB. And the sum at 3m is different.

cotdt said:
Wow! What an ugly driver. It must sound great for sure! The specs look great for a midrange used from 200Hz to 3kHz (or beyond, probably even without a low-pass filter at all). Low mass and well-dampened cone with low Le and copper plated pole piece tends to sound really detailed and dynamic. I think I will try one with the pulp cone and Nomex former.

If you have deep pockets, you could try a TD6.5M with AlNiCo and maybe Appollo upgrade ? :D

cotdt said:

I take offense to that. It's like calling someone's baby ugly. :D The only picture we have released is of the prototype. It has the epoxy coating on the motor. Normally it would be plated, but we don't waste the time on prototypes. Other than that, it has the large phase plug which some find attractive, others don't. We can do the plugs in solid alum or copper. The copper being more expensive due to the material cost.

simon5 said:
If you have deep pockets, you could try a TD6.5M with AlNiCo and maybe Appollo upgrade ? :D

Considering other alternatives like Feastrex, Fostex, and other wideband drivers, it isn't too bad really. Regular driver is $199 retail. The apollo upgrade on them would be $50-75 and the Alnico would be $75-100 upgrade.

John

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.