Subwoofer port chuffing noise

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guy, a question for those in the know.

Anything below 80hz I start to get port noise (chuffing) on a pair of very nicely thought out and designed (for Yamaha) SW160's.
They have a pair of 8" long throw low fs and linear 150w amp in each sub, for my TV room A/V system.

Proac with their EBS 20-30 years ago filled the port with tight packed plastic drinking straws they said to reduce/eliminate port chuffing, does this work before I go the trouble to do it?

Cheers George

Attachments

• 1389999583854451634.jpg
    1389999583854451634.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 182
  • 1460939723221768028.jpg
    1460939723221768028.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 252
Last edited:
Ok big boo boo sorry guys.

I went to the local and got 3 packs plastic 100 per pack, lucky they were only $1 per pack. Put the sig gen on the sub at 30hz got the port noise, grabbed a bundle around 140 straws put a tight elastic band around them bunged them into the port and hey presto half the port noise disappeared, so yes it does work to a degree.

Then checked the other sub, same parameters, no port noise (with no straws)!!!!!!! Took out the straws of the one making the port noise and looked deep into the port and noticed a 2" rubber sealing bung for the speaker wires to the amp box on the back had popped half out, tested again after pushing it back in, NO PORT NOISE!!!!!!!

So if you have port noise, and it's not something wrong like I had, yes it can be reduced with port straws by at least half.

Cheers George

Last edited:
"So if you have port noise, and it's not something wrong like I had, yes it can be reduced with port straws by at least half."

And how much did the output drop by?

(I know you didn't measure it)

At 30hz the output seemed just as strong, "maybe" a touch less, but nothing I could detect in a blind comparison.
I did come to this conclusion by trying the straws in the good sub without port noise.

And no I didn't measure it because my SPL meter is useless down that low,, I gauged it by the rattle of things in the room, windows/gyprock (drywall) ect.

These are the straws I used, now in the bin because all is good.

https://www.woolworths.com.au/Shop/...rths-essentials-straws-clear&productId=786476

Cheers George

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.