• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Subminiature tubes Spice models

Hi,
I am planning to build a guitar amplifier using subminiature tubes (...)
Cheers,
Pedro
Hi Petro
Since many years, I'm fascinated of subminiature tubes.
My first tube guitar amp was also built with subminis, see attached picture.
Perhaps it may be of interest for you to see some more details:
<http://adrianimmler.simplesite.com/440939017>
I created some spicemodels for subminis, but more fore west types like 6021, 6111 etc. You will find them in my lib provided on my site (link above).

cheers, Adrian

Attachments

• Dodekaeder-Amp.png
    Dodekaeder-Amp.png
    878.3 KB · Views: 388
Joined 2004
Paid Member
for 6n16b

*--------------------------------------------------------------------------
* Specialized tube model
* Type : 6N16B
* Description : Triode
* Direct heated : no
* Screen present : yes
*--------------------------------------------------------------------------
.SUBCKT 6N16B 1 2 3 ; P G K ;
+ PARAMS: CCG=2.7P CGP=1.5P CCP=1.65P RGI=2000
+ MU=25.96 EX=1.79 KG1=557.56 KP=137.33 KVB=391.918
E1 7 0 VALUE={V(1,3)/KP*LOG(1+EXP(KP*(1/MU+V(2,3)/SQRT(KVB+V(1,3)*V(1,3)))))}
RE1 7 0 1G
G1 1 3 VALUE={((PWR(V(7),EX)+PWRS(V(7),EX))/(2*KG1))}
C1 2 3 {CCG} ; CATHODE GRID
C2 2 1 {CGP} ; GRID-PLATE
C3 1 3 {CCP} ; CATHODE-PLATE
D3 5 3 DX ; FOR GRID CURRENT
R1 2 5 {RGI} ; FOR GRID CURRENT
.MODEL DX D(IS=1N RS=1 CJO=10PF TT=1N)
.ENDS 6N16B

Hello Adrian,
Your guitar amp - I would like to see circuit - schematic - but link is dead in your site. (...)
...My site seems ok, I can't find any not working link...
I guess the problem is, that I have to use Dropbox as a place for downloadable files, as simplesite does not offer this feature in their cost-free website accounts.

I will send you a private message with the schematic.
However, be aware that I did a beginner mistake and loaded many of the potentiometers with DC - so they are quite noisy when rotated :mad:
But beside of that (and a bit of hum), the Amp sounds grate :D

cheers, Adrian

I don't have the model for 6S31B, but I have the others. I would much rather post them in the Vacuum Tube Spice Models sticky thread, than here. Just click here: 6N16B, 6N17B and 6N21B models and it will take you to the models you requested.

Thanks a lot.
This is amazing !
I have been reading about models and came across this website.
The Accurate BSPICE Tube Models - Effectrode
The problem is how to get the values need from the equations from the Datasheet?

Cheers,
Pedro

Hi Petro
Since many years, I'm fascinated of subminiature tubes.
My first tube guitar amp was also built with subminis, see attached picture.
Perhaps it may be of interest for you to see some more details:
<http://adrianimmler.simplesite.com/440939017>
I created some spicemodels for subminis, but more fore west types like 6021, 6111 etc. You will find them in my lib provided on my site (link above).

cheers, Adrian

Hi Adrian,
I am fascinated, as well, for these little guys.
Your amp looks really nice.
I've chosen the soviet valves since they are way cheaper than the west type ones. Nevertheless I heard great things about the soviet valves.

I am still shopping, so I have time to change the valves that I am going to buy.
Cheers,
Pedro

(...)
This is amazing !
I have been reading about models and came across this website.
The Accurate BSPICE Tube Models - Effectrode
(...)

Cheers,
Pedro
Hi Pedro
Yes the Koren spicemodels are fine - as long as you keep the grid negative to avoid grid current.
Do you intend to build a guitar amp with overdriven stages?
If so, I recommend you better models which also delivers accurate grid currents.
- Ayumi (not super accurate, but sufficient for many sim goal)
- Dimtry's (paint tool)
- mine approach

cheers, Adrian

Banned Sock Puppet
Joined 2020
Hi Adrian,
I've chosen the soviet valves since they are way cheaper than the west type ones.

Nevertheless I heard great things about the soviet valves.
I am using exactly this technology in my studio amps.

About soviet submins, I can get them easily, but they are not all equal.

Some are really not all that linear, whereas in my tests, the US made 6111 was something really quite astonishing, and even then, there are better and worse ones.

The results from my AF amp stage using the 6111 is really outstanding, (running right at the very end of the scale of voltage at 170-180 on the anodes ratings).

They are incredibly linear, low distortion, so no suprise similar things were used in Neumann and other ancient tube mics - being designed for RF have very good frequency response, and excellent overload behaviour.

The only big shock you will get with them, and this holds true for all the submins is having to use DC heaters with one side (or in series with the centre grounded).

They are just incredibly sensitive to heater induced hum, and pick up from all over outside the glass too.

I had to shield them and cover the glass with alloy foil and earth the foil to cure it. :(

I am using exactly this technology in my studio amps.

About soviet submins, I can get them easily, but they are not all equal.

Some are really not all that linear, whereas in my tests, the US made 6111 was something really quite astonishing, and even then, there are better and worse ones.

The results from my AF amp stage using the 6111 is really outstanding, (running right at the very end of the scale of voltage at 170-180 on the anodes ratings).

They are incredibly linear, low distortion, so no suprise similar things were used in Neumann and other ancient tube mics - being designed for RF have very good frequency response, and excellent overload behaviour.

The only big shock you will get with them, and this holds true for all the submins is having to use DC heaters with one side (or in series with the centre grounded).

They are just incredibly sensitive to heater induced hum, and pick up from all over outside the glass too.

I had to shield them and cover the glass with alloy foil and earth the foil to cure it. :(
Thanks a lot for this clarification. Really important!
I have another thread, which is more related with hardware than this one.
If you like, please take a look there, as well.
Subminiature tube/valve guitar amplifier

Cheers,
Pedro

(...)
They are just incredibly sensitive to heater induced hum, and pick up from all over outside the glass too. (...) :(

A weak point of the most subminiature twin triodes is that they have the both heaters in series connected and provide no center tap, so an AC supplied heater introduces hum trough the parasitic heater-to-cathode cap. :irked:

Here the 6N16B has an advantage, because its both heaters are connected internally in parallel!
So at least in theory, hum should be reduced noticeable for the 6N16B when a heater transformer with grounded center tap is used. :p

all the best, Adrian