Sub (plate) amp <100€ in Europe

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My Ambiorix sub (see thread) is finished. It just needs a few layers of paint. :D

This brings me to the next part of the building process: amplification!

Right now I'm using an old Kenwood KR-5600 tuner-amplifier of 2*45watt RMS hooked on to my PC's sub-out.
I designed a 130mm*310*310 space under it's downfiring vent for an amp.
My original idea was to build a 100watt/8ohm, 200watt/4ohm monoblock from amplifier modules available at an electronic-parts shop in the next town. However, it seems a 180watt/4ohm module kosts 116€, AND it needs an extra protector cirquit (5.35€)and toroidial transfo (61€) to work! (I assumed the modules were class D ...) --> and more important: All prices excl VAT (BTW in Dutch) :mad:
Total price for that would be well over 100€, and it probably would'nt fit under the sub anymore!

So I started looking for a plate amp for under my sub. I found on a German site a "Detonation 50" amp, 240*180*80mm, that has 100watt/8ohm, lowpass filter, phase knob, hi-and-lowlevel inputs etc ...
For 79€ (without shipping kosts) it has a lot more usefull stuff than if i build one myself and let the PC do the math.

Or not?
i searched the forum for some hints on sub plate amps, but I could'nt find where to buy <100€ amps in europe.

Anyone has other tips or better ideas?

Thx for the reply, but it seems these amps have a built-in boost, and my design is flat till 30Hz ...

I found some more info on the Detonation 50 here:

http://www.lautsprechershop.de/hifi/index_en.htm?/hifi/verst_en.htm

Very nice curve ... however ...
Do you think I could set (change a resistor) the subsonic filter at -3dB @25Hz in stead of 30Hz? If you combine the rolloff from the Ambiorix and the amp I'm affraid i might lose the lower 5Hz or something.
Building a 100L enclosure and then losing some of the lowest bass ... :xeye:

Maybe with the programmable bassEQ, but there seems to be not much more info about that?

Cordraconis said:
... but it seems these amps have a built-in boost, and my design is flat till 30Hz ...

I hope your "flat till 30 Hz" is including room gain. Otherwise you will experience some boomy bass!! :eek:

And don´t fret about the 5 Hz difference. You may be glad that the amp is rolling off @30 Hz - one Monacor SPH-212 doesn´t move that much volume.

BTW: What did you mean with "these amps have a built-in boost"? I thought they had a built-in roll-off!

Rudolf said:

I hope your "flat till 30 Hz" is including room gain. Otherwise you will experience some boomy bass!! :eek:

And don´t fret about the 5 Hz difference. You may be glad that the amp is rolling off @30 Hz - one Monacor SPH-212 doesn´t move that much volume.

BTW: What did you mean with "these amps have a built-in boost"? I thought they had a built-in roll-off!

"Das Aktivmodul verfügt über eine Tiefbassanhebung von +3 dB bei 38 Hz, wodurch man seine Gehäusevolumen weiter verkleinern kann."

From your second link@speakertrade ... I never studied German, but it is rather similar to Dutch. Could be mistaken dough. ;)

And the -3dB point is indeed 30hz in free space! Did you see the size of that thing? (last pic in the Ambiorix thread. :D) The room it is in is about 4*6meter ... no booming bass noticed so far.

I modeled 100dB with about 10-20 watts input, and that should be more than enough, but I'd like it to be from as low as possible. the SPH-212 should sweep that @10watt.

Thx for the tips!
But I won't fret about those 5Hz any more, promise! :angel:

Cordraconis said:
Did you see the size of that thing? (last pic in the Ambiorix thread.

Yeah, it´s quite a bit of furniture :D

"Das Aktivmodul verfügt über eine Tiefbassanhebung von +3 dB bei 38 Hz, wodurch man seine Gehäusevolumen weiter verkleinern kann."[/B]

You are right. I see.

And if it rocks the house - nice for you. ;)

BTW: By judging the discussions I could follow, the Detonation modules are regarded higher quality than the Mivoc or Conrad ones. Owned a Detonation module myself. :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.