Stereophonic Sound from a Single Loudspeaker

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Fun and great sound everywhere, as opposed to the surgeon's knife in the "perfect setup" that is usually living room (main room, whatever) unfriendly.
Yep. We have that at home in the living room. A pair of Fisher console speakers from the late 1950s. Wonderful, mellow and fills the whole house with an even sound. Great for background or even party music. They are also our TV speakers. Not small, tho. :(

What is needed is a true SSS soundbar designed to be mounted on the wall below or above the TV set.

Here a single speaker stereo aka soundbar (TV included :rolleyes:)
Scandinavian Stereo Theatre 24

attachment.php

Projects sound not only to the front but also to the side walls to "surround you with the full beauty of music".

- Elias

Attachments

• A0064730.jpg
    A0064730.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 1,024
Single Cabinet Stereo

Elias, where do you find all these fantastic vintage advertisements? Hauskaa Juhannusta! - Happy Midsummer Fest!

Elias: You have pioneered modern drivers/technology for Single Cabinet Stereo, not withstanding last century's cabinets attempts, in my opinion current drivers and technology for best music reproduction is the way to proceed. Molding F.A.S.T-biamp-SSS drivers/technology would be a great start.... as a prelude to immerging object based audio.
...regards, Michael

yea, but remember, those consoles were EXPENSIVE !!!!

adjusted for inflation, they'd be what, 3k ?

Norman

But they included everything for home audio: speakers, amplifier, AM FM tuner, record player and some even TV.

Today I would leave electronics out and focus on the speakers only. Because usually people have electronics already, and purely because it is fun to play with switchable gear :D

not a soundbar functionally by technically this is it: Audio Pro LV-1

however it is clearly based on some transaural/CTC filters

I am afraid that such filters are a must in any SSS in practice unless the direct sound is not blocked

otherwise we hear the direct sound first and only after that the sidewall reflections which effectively act as delayed virtual surround speakers and the setup becomes very room/placement dependent

ps.
apparently and unfortunately the transaural filtering is not very effective: http://www.trustedreviews.com/audio...Audio_review_performance-value-verdict_Page-2

there is little stereo separation

Last edited:
Here a single speaker stereo aka soundbar (TV included :rolleyes:)
Scandinavian Stereo Theatre 24

Projects sound not only to the front but also to the side walls to "surround you with the full beauty of music".

- Elias

Looks like some of the stuff my father made back in the day. Drivers on the corners, firing out the side and in front. At low levels (below say 95dB) sounded quite nice. Would listen/watch for hours without fatigue :)

Last edited:
Using any cross talk cancellation method necessarily results in extremely tiny sweet spot. That is not good and is totally opposite what I'm targeting here.

I don't like small sweet spot but my requirement is stereo sound to be good everywhere in the room.

It should be obvious that this method relies on side wall reflections, so of course it is room dependent in that regard. First of all there must be two side walls, and secondly they should not be absorptive at the reflection points.
Room shape has some influence and a shoebox geometry seems to be the best.

Also the listening distance should not be too close.

Then comes the timing of direct sound vs reflections, and it is true that direct sound should be attenuated in level at high frequencies. The attenuation is not much about 5 dB I have found to be enough. Actually the way I do the filtering is I simultaneously boost the side elements to better maintain constant power response. See my home page for details about the filter.

- Elias

Looking good.

But, well, it's a pity that it seems no real 'fullrange' system has been built in this principle.

Or, both of them need a lower section in a similar style for bass.

Bass section wouldn't be worth the effort to build with matrixing -- on most recordings most of the bass would be steered to the center driver, and the outer drivers would be largely wasted. It would be best with mono bass - with 3 drivers if you like, but mono.