steel buschorns

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OzMikeH said:
Perhaps he plans to stuff it with more stolen towels.....

:D

ha ha its so funny cause its true.Ok as for filling the voids i just don't see the point , these sound so good and i honestly cant see it getting any better,i made the tops from 3.5mm checker plate and the rest is 3mm black steel sheet,all the tools i used :bevel square ,migwelder ,grinder ,plasma cutter ,guillotine and 31 hours of labor ,now the side walls did need some bracing to stiffen them up, i used 1/4" rod on the inside ,so you cant see it ,and that was only to make sure that they weren't leaking on the inside,i don't think that it was necessary though, just to clarify there are no resonaces,no "ringing"whatsoever and after tapping on a side wall i realized that there could never be

Thats some really nice metal work there.... One easy worthwhile thing a person could do is dynamat the inside or paint on some sound deadening material like whats used in car audio. Couldn't hurt and would really dampen the enclosure even more..

I had a vision of a BIB or a BVR after seeing those, all a person would need is to have a dolly or handtruck handy to move them around when needed.. Dave:)

DaveCan said:
Thats some really nice metal work there.... One easy worthwhile thing a person could do is dynamat the inside or paint on some sound deadening material like whats used in car audio. Couldn't hurt and would really dampen the enclosure even more..

Indeed! Sigh..... 'Once more into the breach'..... Some things are counter-intuitive in that the more rigid/massive the construction is, the better damped it is and considering how high this cab's Fs is, it's got to be so far above its acoustic pass-band that it probably can't be excited at any subjective, much less measurable SPL, ergo adding more damping and/or filling its cavities is probably not only a waste of time, but in the case of the Dynamat will only reduce its acoustic efficiency. Basically, except for a tweeter, you want the cab to either ring like a ten-penny nail struck with a ball-peen hammer or so massive that all you can hear is your knuckles cracking like when rapping them against a concrete driveway or similar.

That said, since it has parallel walls and no mouth end correction, there may be some subjective 'hash' coming out the mouth, but being rear exit it will be 'lost' long before reaching the listening position. The lack of any mouth damping OTOH may very well be audible though as it's causing reflections back to the throat that the filter chamber may not be damping down enough. It just depends on how much damping is used in the chamber.

Really, by far the worst part of the design appears to be the throat location as it places the driver in essentially a 'pinched' section of an otherwise simple off-set driver (tapped) pipe horn rather than in a true BLH band-pass alignment.

GM

scottwilko said:
can anybody tell me what a supra baffle is? maybe a pic of one?thanks scott

It's an added baffle to increase the driver's half space radiating area to reduce the need for any BSC or in the case of a BLH, help fill in, smooth the acoustic XO (transition) between the horn's and driver's outputs. Note the big, tapered driver baffle, which of course can be other shapes with round often being used: http://www.frugal-horn.com/

GM

Surely coating the inside of the ''MetalHorns'':eguitar: with some sort of damping during the building process couldn't hurt??

The other thing that came to mind when I first saw them was maybe it would be a good idea to line the compression chamber ( on designs that have them) with Baltic Birch ply and just factor that into the measurements, maybe the tone would be better?? Dave:)

scottwilko said:
....just to clarify there are no resonaces,no "ringing"whatsoever and after tapping on a side wall i realized that there could never be

You're a lot luckier than I was with the material. As a final sanity check, have you tried an ear against the front baffle while music is playing? Female vocals should do the trick.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.